Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRock View Post
    Pass or attack. Depends on you and your training partner. If your side control sucks maybe get good control in half guard and then attempt a sub.

If you don't know something or would like to know more about a sub, escape, sweep make sure you ask your instructor. Everytime I get stuck or am not sure what to do I ask. Usually if he doesn't want to side track from that days lesson he will make that something we go over next class.

Remember your instructor wants to help you get better. If you don't tell him where you're falling down he will just go about his normal lesson plan. Ask the question!
    Dude, shut the **** up.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 8:04am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pass or attack. Depends on you and your training partner. If your side control sucks maybe get good control in half guard and then attempt a sub.

If you don't know something or would like to know more about a sub, escape, sweep make sure you ask your instructor. Everytime I get stuck or am not sure what to do I ask. Usually if he doesn't want to side track from that days lesson he will make that something we go over next class.

Remember your instructor wants to help you get better. If you don't tell him where you're falling down he will just go about his normal lesson plan. Ask the question!
    From another thread:

I'm still a white belt and have been going to class for about 10 months.
    So you have ten months of experience in grappling and you thought you would drop a bit white belt wisdom on us?

Shut up and train white belt.

Edit: For the record, this is really bad advice:

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 8:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone needs some coffee.

UK passing half against BJJ people is a little more painstaking because you HAVE to pass or submit no one will stand you up. But you're right smash their head and shoulders to the mat works wonders.

Res I am with you on Kashiwazaki that is my pass 80% of the time.

Just a point for the OP, F4P, work on passing first and get good at one or two. Don't get hung up on 18 moves just work one for a few months and then you will see the opportunity for a second one. Also focus on a pass that gets you to a control position you like such as mount or side control, reverse kesa is my personal favorite.

Red Rock STFU and train
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Res I am with you on Kashiwazaki that is my pass 80% of the time.
    On the Kashiwazaki he shows the trad Judo leg freeing of pushing with the leg and pulling the trousers. However, he shows it on the normal side...

and what I think of as the 'wrong' side...

I really dislike being in this position because I feel vulnerable because uke's shoulder is off the mat and my basing out options are more limited. Normally if I get my trapped leg on the ground I look to smash the shoulders back to the mat and switch it so that the trapped leg is off the ground.

Is working to pass with the trapped leg on the ground a no no in BJJ and how do BJJers approach this situation?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 10:13am

Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either way is fine. I generally use them in tandem and we teach both ways in BJJ class.

I will try to do a no hand pass where i tripod on the head, smash them to the mat and then pull my leg out. If I run into resistance I will flip to the other side but instead of reachingo over the shoulder I place my elbow in the armpit and grab the belt. My knee is buried in the hip and I push the bottom leg and pull the top one and go to reverse kesa, my favorite position.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I typically prefer to have their back flat on the mat and not on their side like in that picture especially with that arm across my stomach.

You can switch back to the otherside and knee slice through or a unique option that is actually pretty high percentage is to roll to the back.

Swim arm inside or attack it to get them to bring it back. Outside hand grabs their foot inside the figure four. If they are figure fouring the other way, knee bar them. Roll over your shoulder facing their feet, elevate your leg, follow them to their back by focusing on controlling their far hip.

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either way is fine. I generally use them in tandem and we teach both ways in BJJ class.
    Fair enough, must just be because I suck then.

I will try to do a no hand pass where i tripod on the head, smash them to the mat and then pull my leg out. If I run into resistance I will flip to the other side but instead of reachingo over the shoulder I place my elbow in the armpit and grab the belt. My knee is buried in the hip and I push the bottom leg and pull the top one and go to reverse kesa, my favorite position.
    That's my bread and butter pass too, except usually when I have my left leg trapped or occasionally with my right leg trapped if I can't get the Juji.

Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I typically prefer to have their back flat on the mat and not on their side like in that picture especially with that arm across my stomach.
    Yeh its a Judo thing, a lot of half guard passes are done with uke on the side, except for the one Coach Josh mentioned and some others.

Most Judo guys aren't really that savy about getting the under hook and then taking the back from underneath in half guard.

Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    You can switch back to the otherside and knee slice through or a unique option that is actually pretty high percentage is to roll to the back.

That is awesome. Definitely trying that next session.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 12:59am

Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't offer much more on top of what other people have said.

My additions:

- Find 2 passes that are relatively high percentage for you and drill the hell out of them. No, doing them 5 times a day is not 'drilling'. Make it 20 and we are *starting* to get somewhere.

- High percentage passes address keeping the person on bottom flat and controlling their far side (top) shoulder either directly (you have something on their shoulder - arm, hand, head) or indirectly (lifting near-side arm, chin strap, far side lapel grip behind the back, etc...).

- Stop passing if the guy on bottom gets the underhook with his top arm. He 'got' you and it is time to panic. Reset your hips back over their knees, posture up, and start again.

- When sparring/free-rolling, start in half-guard top to force yourself to work on your 2 passes.

As has been said here, fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123