Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 10:06am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Footwork; Shoes or no-Shoes

Last week I was aggressively training my footwork and ended up almost getting a blister on my right foot. This got me wondering is it better to train footwork barefoot or with your shoes on.

I figured you should mostly train in the same manner you spar, but
    what I want to know is are there any benefits to training one way over the other. I specifically am interested in how shoes affect your ability to shift your weight.

All advice appreciated.
    KD,
    Last edited by korean dragon; 3/28/2011 10:09am at .

:)

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel better moving around in shoes, but have rarely sparred that way (just in the park, or randomly, for fun). I've never had a barefoot str33t fight, but if I could choose, I'd want shoes, because my feet are giant, and my finger-toes get dinged up easily.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 10:26am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both, probably.

After years of kung fu in shoes (of various types) I found that my toes were getting messed up frequently when I started judo. They were basically used to the protection offered by the shoes so, if you're training for competition etc. where you need to compete barefoot then train barefoot. On the other hand, if you're anything like me (and most people) you're wearing something on your feet most of the day and will likely be doing so in a self-defence situation. Like you mention, shoes also affect the way in which you move and kick so if you plan on using your skills whilst wearing shoes then probably best to train while wearing them.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by knive View Post
    After years of kung fu in shoes (of various types) I found that my toes were getting messed up frequently when I started judo. They were basically used to the protection offered by the shoes...
    that's not why your toes are getting damaged. broken and damaged toes are part of life in judo, so just tape em up and get back on the mat. i did kung fu (mostly barefoot) for 15 years before judo and my toes take a lot of damage as well.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:17am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    that's not why your toes are getting damaged. broken and damaged toes are part of life in judo, so just tape em up and get back on the mat. i did kung fu (mostly barefoot) for 15 years before judo and my toes take a lot of damage as well.
    Good to know that I don't have soft toes ;-)

Seriously though, I do think that shoes have not helped in the case of a certain type of injury. I've injured my big toe on both feet a number of times by rolling it under my foot (either directly forward or diagonally) and I honestly think that this is one case where a shoe would have taken the brunt of the force. On the plus side I've found myself stretching and trying to strengthen my toes as a direct result of training barefoot (and the related injuries) which can't be a bad thing.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the last Dog Brothers gathering, I noticed a number of people were sporting the Vibram's Five Fingers shoe things. I asked about them, and they said they liked the feel of being barefoot and being able to use all the small muscles of the feet, but also provided some protection from mats, other feet etc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 3:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always use light Kung Fu canvas shoes for all my training. A lot of guys stick with Boxing shoes or Wrestling shoes though.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 4:00pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the mats go barefoot, but off the mats wear shoes.

Wear good socks (I like DeFeet) and shoes that fit properly so you don't get blisters.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it really depends on the surface you're training on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 10:09pm

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go barefoot on mats but with shoes when shadow boxing on hard ground.

MT spars with bear feet but you'd most likely be wearing shoes when you get into a real fight.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast