Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 11:50am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you treat new students?

Someone asked me how they should approach new students when they first come to the gym and start training. So I made this video with my opinion.

How do you treat new students when they come in?

Thanks for watching,
    Jason Scully
    http://www.jasonscully.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 4:19pm

Style: bjj (blue) Judo (green)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really depends on the attitude they bring into the academy. Guys who come in to learn should be treated with the utmost respect. These are the individuals who will be safe to train with because their objective is not to take your arm home as a trophy.

Then there's the pricks. They come in (usually with a martial arts background) looking to be the top dog from day 1. These are the guys you want to crush. I never give them an advantageous position in fear that they will pull off some Youtube technique that will take me out of the game for weeks, months, or forever.

Fortunately, the pricks never seem to stick around very long. Their ego gets crushed and they find other environments where they can be top dog with less effort. It's the humble, hard working guys that seem to prevail (at least in my BJJ academy) and thank God for that.

I really appreciate and respect the videos that you post, Jasculs.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 9:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 1:00am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I started out I was nervous and sat in my car outside 30 minutes before my trial lesson debating about calling in to skip. I was 17 years old, weak as hell, and out of shape. The black belt there took the time to talk to me we went to the corner he asked me some questions showed me some moves, then rolled with me. I was so impressed I signed up immediately. I went to class and was definitely ignored expect by the black belt. I just manned up, shut up , and kept going.

Now it's different and I try to make sure people are welcome by saying hi and asking them some questions. Usually I'm nice and will ask them if they want to work together. I've been to a lot of gyms and have been the "odd man out" many times, so I know how it feels. I used to think it was "not my place" to tell people tips or general guidelines for behavior, but now I make it a point to do so.

New people are hard to deal with especially if they have an attitude, and more than likely they'll say something stupid or spaz. Best thing to do is remember when you were new, and what you would have liked to be told.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 5:12pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to rudely ignore new people until they had hung around for awhile. I stopped doing a long while back. I like it a whole lot more for myself, and I'm sure new guys like it more too, because now they keep coming back.
    Last edited by Syphilis; 5/10/2011 5:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video. Going from many places I've noticed many of the scenarios you described. Even when visiting gyms I'm surprised at the attitude that some individuals take. I would say that BJJ as whole are very welcoming.

I'm go out of my way to be as humble and nice as possible. However there are always those people that really mistake kindness for weakness. What I love about bjj is the chance to make even the biggest asshole a humble man.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I started my gym had just opened a new secondary location so the classes were small and we were all fairly new. This meant that even though I had just begun I was never really the 'new' student.

When new students turn up I think the most important thing is to keep up the positive energy. You want to show them the effectiveness of the art but you don't want the smash them. Everytime you catch them in something you should tell them the basics of the escape, but don't overwhelm them.

Also it's nice to try and get to know them alittle, show them that your gym is a place to make friends as well as train.

I always think to myself when a new guy doesn't come back after only one lesson, what was it that made them not want to keep coming?