Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 1:41pm

Style: Judo+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SmackDown
    The most unstable position you can put a human shoulder in is that of abduction and external rotation. That is exactly the position your shoulder is in when you go to do overhead squats, you then proceed to add weight to the mix. This is fine and I don't see an issue, however, the moment you start squatting you're adding instability and setting yourself up for an injury. I'm not saying you will get hurt, I'm just saying the reward isn't great enough to justify the risk.

Tell that to the Olympic lifters. Overhead squats kick ass and increase shoulder stability under a load.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 4:37pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to increase shoulder stability is to strengthen the muscles that stabilize the shoulders. *Geez I can't believe I have to type that out.* NOT through squatting, no matter what position your arms are in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2004 5:57pm

Style: Judo+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Tora
    The best way to increase shoulder stability is to strengthen the muscles that stabilize the shoulders. *Geez I can't believe I have to type that out.* NOT through squatting, no matter what position your arms are in.
    There is truth in that, but try this. Olympic lifters at every level use these as a staple in their training, and Olympic lifters have to have tremendous overhead strength and stability to catch a snatch and stand up with it.

Take an empty bar across your shoulders in a back squat position. Push press it overhead so that it is directly over your ears. Squat down as low as you can manage, aiming for rock-bottom and keeping the bar overhead. It's good for the shoulders, good for balance, good for a lighter squat workout in addition to regular squat workouts, and good for your overhead strength.

Some smart track and field coaches insist that their athletes be able to handle bodyweight in the overhead squat for fifteen reps before even touching the shot, hammer, or javelin. They claim that this makes their athlete's shoulders bombproof.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234