Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 11:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spiderman-3 was terrible. I blame Marvel for injecting venom into the Movie. Take that out or make it a venom based movie it would have been good. There was too much going on.

Wolverine was terrible.

This is after I learned to turn the comic book geekdom off.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 12:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was, but to be honest, I liked The Losers, better.
    Cool, I will see if they have it on itunes, then. Didn't know it was a comic adaptation, too.

I had only read one issue of Wanted, so I can't compare, but I really like the director of Wanted.
    Well, the movie was about some future-telling spinning machine, that told the names of those who would have to die.

The comic was essentially a spoof of what would happend if Marvel villains took over the world.

Both were not bad, but had almost nothing in common.

Thomas Hayden Church's Sandman
    Ryan Reynold's Wade Wilson
    Liev Schrieber's Sabertooth
    Gambit
    Okay, I agree there. And also, Spidey 3 was *not as good as the prequels*, while Wolverine was outright bad, script-wise.

But just for what it's worth, check "Pathfinder", the Karl Urban-helmet Indians vs Vikings movie. IIRC, also a comic book adaptation, and at least worth the pay at the cinema.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    There were two popular Universes in Marvel. The Ultimates and the one you are talking about.

Since the build up to the Avengers movie they have been mixing elements of both into the movies. In the newer Universe, which is completely separate from the original, BW is part of the Avengers which are called the Ultimates.
    Interesting. I didn't realize the Ultimates was the basis of the new movies (didn't really read any of that stuff). I was hoping against hope that they would do the Dan Jurgers storyline where Odin dies and Thor conquers Earth.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

When I Get Back

Posted On:

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spiderman-3 was terrible. I blame Marvel for injecting venom into the Movie. Take that out or make it a venom based movie it would have been good. There was too much going on.
    It was the actor they hired to play Brock.
    The Venom storyline could have worked if Venom was more menacing.
    Church's Sandman walked away with the movie.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 12:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I think the Venom stuff wasn't so much the problem, as how it overrode the much more interesting Sandman and New Goblin (?) stuff.

A movie just based on the Peter-MJ-Harry triangle, that would have been some!

To be honest, my highest hopes for this summer are On X-Men First Class (and the new Transformers), in terms of pure entertainment.

Also, had an US buddy bring me freshly toasted copies of the new Game of Thrones series, which is awesome! ...So, my "me-time" seems secured for the moment. :)

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Cool, I will see if they have it on itunes, then. Didn't know it was a comic adaptation, too.
    Jason Patric made that movie

But just for what it's worth, check "Pathfinder", the Karl Urban-helmet Indians vs Vikings movie. IIRC, also a comic book adaptation, and at least worth the pay at the cinema.
    I have geeked on Pathfinder for several years, it is nice.
    I always liked *blank*-vs-*blank* movies.
    In fact, I referenced Pathfinder in my Outlander Sociocide review.

And yeah, Dark Horse did a movie adaption

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 1:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    It was the actor they hired to play Brock.
    The Venom storyline could have worked if Venom was more menacing.
    Church's Sandman walked away with the movie.
    It was rushed IMO. The Sandman and Harry losing it were enough. The movie, minus emo dance-dance Revolution Parker, was great. Also, I think the actor was fine. The problem, which would have taken an entire movie to explain, was that they didn't show the breaking of Brock. They never introduced the stalking of MJ, the implication of fear of rape that MJ had in the comic, how he shadowed/stalked Peter for Months all before the final act.

The Brock character, done correctly, could have been a Heath Ledger Joker type of character. Raimi, IIRC, was forced to insert venom and that is how it felt to me. I didn't read his explanation until after I saw the movie.,

Oh and lets not forget the change in power from Brock to Venom. One of the great scenes in the comic was a shot of the stalker wall of Peter articles while Brok slams his fist into his hand and the symbiote covers his fist.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 1:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Outlander review? :)

That movie is pure cult to me, especially since it evolves about the "Vikings vs Aliens" theme that forms so great part of my Blackmoor/D&D hobby.

My Blackmoor teammate wrote another review that got so much as even commented by the director:

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com...nder-2008.html

If you haven't watched it yet, you might enjoy the Beowulf animated movie as well:
    When I watched it in the theater, I was disappointed, but rewatching it at home, I got to say, good story. :)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 1:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was rushed IMO. The Sandman and Harry losing it were enough. The movie, minus emo dance-dance Revolution Parker, was great. Also, I think the actor was fine. The problem, which would have taken an entire movie to explain, was that they didn't show the breaking of Brock. They never introduced the stalking of MJ, the implication of fear of rape that MJ had in the comic, how he shadowed/stalked Peter for Months all before the final act.

The Brock character, done correctly, could have been a Heath Ledger Joker type of character. Raimi, IIRC, was forced to insert venom and that is how it felt to me. I didn't read his explanation until after I saw the movie.,

Oh and lets not forget the change in power from Brock to Venom. One of the great scenes in the comic was a shot of the stalker wall of Peter articles while Brok slams his fist into his hand and the symbiote covers his fist.
    Excellent point, pal.

To me, the venom arc felt very artificial, and limited the character development of, well, everyone else in the movie.

Since the Spidey movies are, basically, coming-of-age character studies of Peter Parker, a movie based on Venom alone, as a dark mirror to Peter Parker would have been what I expected. Instead, we got too much special effects, and really, a paper-thin story.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 1:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the Spidey movies are, basically, coming-of-age character studies of Peter Parker, a movie based on Venom alone, as a dark mirror to Peter Parker would have been what I expected. Instead, we got too much special effects, and really, a paper-thin story.
    Yep, we have a boy becoming a man catching himself before he falls of the rails. Then we have Brock, who in the comics was at the top of the Newspaper reporting game, who fell off the rails because of Spider-man.

Two sides of the same coin. Hopefully, they get it right in the Spider-man reboot franchise coming out next year.

Everything I have seen of X-men First class looks great. I was hating on this movie up until the longer trailer.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast