Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by RobP
    "On BTP Mikhail Ryabko quite clearly states that all the work presented is purely psychological. The tape explains how presenting a barrier or implied threat can affect another person's movement. The work on the tape is shown in the form of progressive drills, starting with light contact against a partner's balance points and working up to no-touch. Confusion arises when people see clips of someone just "waving their hands" and people around him falling over. The falling is a response to broken movement or loss of balance and is seen as one alternative to "freezing" on the spot, not always the best response to a possible threat. In other words the falling is to escape, not to make the teacher look good."

"Firstly there is the “flinch response”, or the simple desire to get out of the way of something. This works by the simple fact that sometimes the body will move “by itself” to avoid pain or damage. A similar example might be if someone suddenly throws something to you - most times you will go to catch it. These are in-built responses that are very difficult to overcome. So one aspect of no-contact training is to take advantage of those responses - a dummy attack to get the guy to drop his hands, or a low “stop kick” on someone moving on at speed to make him pull his leg back would be simple examples. This can be worked up to a more subtle level - slightly dropping a shoulder, even using your eyes (I've used looking over a persons shoulder and nodding to good effect - most times people will turn and look)."

Ah. I see. Psychological intimidation.

The sight of an overwieght Russian turning quickly and staring you in the face is just so terrifying that you whither and fall to the ground.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 1:46pm

Style: c

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by garbanzo
    Ah. I see. Psychological intimidation.

The sight of an overwieght Russian turning quickly and staring you in the face is just so terrifying that you whither and fall to the ground.
    LOL...
    okay you win!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess you never ducked or flinched once in your life huh? Oh well.....

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 1:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RobP:

Be serious. This is a hell of a lot more than ducking and flinching.

Have I ever been floored by someone turning around suddenly? No.
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course people duck and flinch, you morons! The fact is though, that those responses quite often don't happen. They are reflexes, but you can easily consciously overcome them. I do it all the time and so does everyone else. When I spar full contact, I see hard strikes coming all the time that I choose to take so as to maintain an offensive position. If I were in a street fight and fell to the ground and "rolled to escape" every time someone threw a punch at me, I'd get my head fucking stomped off. This is the lamest explanation ever.

It would be absurdly stupid to fight like the people in those demos do. If everyone I ever fight from now on fights like that, I won't even need to learn ANY martial art. All I have to do is put my hand near their face so they fall on their ass, then stomp on them. Your balance points and psychological force theories are beyond laughable.

And if I happen to be fighting someone who then looks over my shoulder and nods, I'm going to at least punch them in the face before I idiotically turn my back on a known opponent to see if someone is behind me. Do you only fight mentally retarded children? I can't believe you people are so gullible.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 2:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "That clip is about evasion drills. There is an explanation on my site along with the clip.
    I'll post clips of the same drill done when Mikhail is swinging a sword or a whip. People look like little trained poodles but it does beat getting whipped or cut."

This is the part I don't get, If I'm willing to take the first hit does that completely upset the systema plan? Because I take shots all the time that I could jump out of the way of but they set me up for something better so I take the hit. How does Systema deal with that kind of strategy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, extremely gullible. :)

"If I'm willing to take the first hit does that completely upset the systema plan? "

No - we train to take hits too. We figure it's probably best not too though, so aim to evade where possible (after all the punching hand could be holding a knife). But evasion isn't neccesarily a big movement , it can be much smaller. So different drill sfocus on different methods of evasion, or even working in places where your movement is limited - seated, against a wall, ground, etc

Last edited by RobP; 3/17/2004 2:15pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 2:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand by my statement:

"You throw a telegraphed, ineffectual kick in slow motion with your guard down.

The instructor responds by moving faster than you, finding the very wide opening, and making contact, again, by moving faster than you.

You respond by falling to the ground and rolling as an evasive maneuver."

If you consider falling down and rolling because someone connects with a body shot to be a viable form of unarmed combat, go for it.

From everything I have seen and read so far, including the responses on this thread, I remain convinced that Systema is a load.
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by RobP
    Yep, extremely gullible. :)

"If I'm willing to take the first hit does that completely upset the systema plan? "

No - we train to take hits too. We figure it's probably best not too though, so aim to evade where possible (after all the punching hand could be holding a knife). But evasion isn't neccesarily a big movement , it can be much smaller. So different drill sfocus on different methods of evasion, or even working in places where your movement is limited - seated, against a wall, ground, etc
    What a joke. If you are willing to take the first hit, you completely ruin every technique shown on that first posted video as well as the stupid front kick video just shown. They are absurd. Not only was that front kick thrown in an incredibly retarded way, the moron throwing doesn't even have enough sense to keep his hands by his face. Like I said before, if all of my opponents fight that poorly, I'll never need another day of martial arts training.

The only way someone is going to fall for your bullshit techniques as they were shown on those videos is if they have been trained to fall on the ground when someone puts a hand in their face. I don't anticipate fighting anyone like that any time soon. Nor have I ever fought anyone that dumb.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2004 2:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take back everything I've said.

I am going to take up Systema to that I can learn how to defend myself against an attacker armed with a bucket of cold water.

http://www.systemauk.com/video/water.mpg
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast