Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Furtry
    And the smaller guy rolled which helped him survive. If he would have fallen flat on his back he could have been hurt worst. And the roll was a natural reaction, which is something that Systema teaches to take advantage of and use.
    I think I see where you are coming from.

The clips shows training of that reaction, right?

What makes them baffling to the uninitiated is that the roles are fuzzy.

The big guy (Vladimir?) starts out defending himself. It therefore appears that he is demonstrating a move. The attackers are, on the one hand, engaging in a half-hearted attack in slow motion, but on the other training their instinct to fall and roll any time the big guy makes the slightest movement.

The result is that what APPEARS to happen is that the attackers attack weakily in slow motion and get owned every time with little or no effort on the part of Vladimir.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any reputable Systema in the Atlanta area? I'm really curious to see an actual class.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same for the New York area.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but just to get a handle on this stuff.
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:18am

Style: c

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by garbanzo

The big guy (Vladimir?) starts out defending himself. It therefore appears that he is demonstrating a move. The attackers are, on the one hand, engaging in a half-hearted attack in slow motion, but on the other training their instinct to fall and roll any time the big guy makes the slightest movement.

The result is that what APPEARS to happen is that the attackers attack weakily in slow motion and get owned every time with little or no effort on the part of Vladimir.
    Basicaly, yes. The big guy is Mikhail (the "master" of this style) spent allot of time pounding us to get us to move like that:rolleyes: .
    He chipped my teeth when I went at him full on. One other seminar he KOed me. So when people see that kind of thing they tend to move
    :)

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same for the New York area.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but just to get a handle on this stuff.
    Go see Rob Green. he's a CO at Rykers Island, I think about 20 years experience there.

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    Is there any reputable Systema in the Atlanta area? I'm really curious to see an actual class.
    Honestly don't know. But check on the Systema boards under affiliates or training partners section.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The attackers are, on the one hand, engaging in a half-hearted attack in slow motion, but on the other training their instinct to fall and roll any time the big guy makes the slightest movement."

"Basicaly, yes. The big guy is Mikhail (the "master" of this style) spent allot of time pounding us to get us to move like that"

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SCO
    "The attackers are, on the one hand, engaging in a half-hearted attack in slow motion, but on the other training their instinct to fall and roll any time the big guy makes the slightest movement."

"Basicaly, yes. The big guy is Mikhail (the "master" of this style) spent allot of time pounding us to get us to move like that"
    SCO that's not exactly true and you're taking things out of context. This how all the trash talk and trolling starts.
    I've been more than honest with you guys, for no benefit to me. Thought I'd clear up some misconceptions but oh well:rolleyes:
    I' guess I'll go back to my own little world where I hope I never have to defend my self against an attacker that doesn't realize he should fall over when I stare at him.
    Last edited by Furtry; 3/18/2004 10:35am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Furtry

Basicaly, yes. The big guy is Mikhail (the "master" of this style) spent allot of time pounding us to get us to move like that:rolleyes: .
    He chipped my teeth when I went at him full on. One other seminar he KOed me. So when people see that kind of thing they tend to move
    :)
    Really?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2004 10:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furtry:

Dude, it's not as bleak as all that.

Systema, largely due to the clips that pop up from time to time, is viewed with great skepticisim. But you've already had three people express interest in learning more.

I would make a recommendation to the folks who are promoting Systema. Make a series of clips that show systema in action: systema vs. systema in live sparring, systema vs. non-systema, but non-compliant attacks.

I can see how the "soft work" as I understand it could be effective, but I would like to see some demo tapes that show it more clearly and more convincingly.
    Last edited by garbanzo; 3/18/2004 10:50am at .
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast