Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 10:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which Weigh to go?

So I'm a just over a week away from from a san shou competition and I've been thrown a curve ball, instead of weighing in the day before the weigh ins are now on the day. I've been dieting to down to fight at 60kg, this morning I was 62.7, I was planning on cutting from about 61.5 then hopefully get on the mats at around 63/64kg on the day. Should I just stay the course and cut or carb up like hell to fight at the next weight class (65kg)?

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 10:17am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 lb (roughly 2.7kg) isn't too bad for same day weigh ins. I've cut 11 lb on same day weigh-ins without feeling drained/weak. (I'm 170 lb, 77kg)

If you have a few hours between weigh ins and the competition, I would go for the cut. Show up early, be the first to weigh, then re-hydrate and eat like mad. I like bananas, oatmeal, and bagels plus diluted gatorade.

If you don't have time to rehydrate, just pig out for a few days. Also if you've never done same day cuts, the mental part could shake you. Do what feels comfortable.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this thing on in Ireland, ie how well will it be attended? What are the chances that you could drop the weight, then end up with no one in your category? It happened to one of our guys at a judo tournament recently.

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 10:41am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally i'd heavily tighten the diet and lose a kilo in the last week then minimally dehydrate the day of the fight to make 60kg. I went from 73 to 70 for a same day weight in (3 hours) with no ill effects, you can probably handle 1.7kg at your weight with more time too.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Is this thing on in Ireland, ie how well will it be attended? What are the chances that you could drop the weight, then end up with no one in your category? It happened to one of our guys at a judo tournament recently.
    Yeah it's on in dublin, there was a good crowd last time so I'm sure there'll be people in my division, I'm just not sure about fighting up a division as I've put in the effort to lose weight and I'd like to see it through plus to be honest my motivation for fighting up is purely so I can eat junk food again.