Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 4:22am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pre-Workout Drinks: Worth It?

Hey guys, I have been thinking about taking a pre-workout drink before MMA training to help with energy levels through my workout.

Have any of you had any good results with pre-workout drinks, will it help me to maintain high energy levels during my training?

Example of the product:
    http://www.ssnonline.co.za/products/index.shtml

At the bottom you will see the N.O Creo pump, I like the part about "explosive workouts"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 8:24am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried a few workout energy drinks and to be honest I've never noticed anything other than tachycardia from the ridiculous amount of caffeine most of them contain. I would stay away from N.O products simply because they haven't been around long enough to be proven safe plus there are a few reports floating around the interwebs about possible cardiac related risks. Good quality carbs and maybe some creatine and plenty of water is all you really need.
    Last edited by Prince Vlad; 3/01/2011 8:28am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a big fan of NO drinks but some carbs and protein before a workout isn't a bad idea.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 10:47am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always had good results (thus far) with post workout drinks but never pre...

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Not a big fan of NO drinks but some carbs and protein before a workout isn't a bad idea.
    Same experiences as Vlad...anything beyond gatorade or water makes my heart race and it's hard to train when you're thinking "is my heart about to give way?".

Tried drinking coffee once prior to training to see if it gave me an energy boost...between my heart pounding and almost passing out from the hot flashes, never did that again.

I get my pre-workout carbs and protein from peanut butter, and make sure I drink at least 16 oz of water an hour prior to training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:28pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm.. I like to drink a cup of coffee about an hour before I train. Then water, lots of water. All day long. Water with electrolytes sometimes from Trader Joes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:57pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drank a 5 hr energy right before a 2nd degree ckd test. I thought my heart was literally going to rupture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 3:22am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother with them. I tried No2 Black Powder and although it pumped me up a bit the first week or so the effect completely dropped off afterward. At 100 bucks a pop it isn't good value for money.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 4:19am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently milk is quite good.

Sometimes I have a little before a run, if I'm likely to be hungry. I only have a short window to train, between kids, chores and work.

But the idea of having a big glass of milk (chocolate or otherwise) before a big workout makes me sick, to be honest.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 7:42am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat/drink nothing special before training except for a banana and plenty of water. Caffeine loaded supplements just make me need to run to the toilet midway through pads, not fun.

When training is really hard on my body (twice a day workouts, fight training, or severe calorie deficit) i drink no fat milk mixed with yoghurt, honey and lots of ice throughout the workout then drink the last half right as i finish.

Pre/peri/post workout drinks are a waste of cash although maybe a little more convenient if you can't handle milk or have no way to keep it cold.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast