Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 8:43am

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broken Forearms

I've noticed lately how common a broken forearm is. Especially the ulna (the one on the pinky finger's side).

I have had this injury and would like to hear other peoples stories and theories on how and why it happened. Kind of like research centre for something many of us have to deal with. Also if you have a plate and screws how bad does this affect your training?

My story begins 2 years ago in a school hall on a sunday afternoon. A friend of mine is holding a martial arts tournament and asked me to compete to help out a bit with the numbers. I had never tried this kyokushin style tournament but had always trained in some style or another. Mostly kickboxing, but at the time had'nt fought (or trained really) for nearly 4 years. I mostly fought at around 69 kg-(152 pounds) but should have gone down to 66. Maybe lighter with more knowledge on cutting weight.

The class I competed in was Blackbelt-mens-70to80kg (154-176pounds).
    There was only 4 of us middleweights and my guy was tallish, about 22, 6foot1, and 79kg. I had just finished watching Yodsanklai win "contender-asia" and had my round kicks finely tuned. We bowed to everyone then started. I was feeling confident, loose and energised and broke the ice with a nice shin across his guts. I was enjoying myself and tried my leg kicks, with moderate success. Then realised that in all the fun I was having, he was also scoring on me. So I pulled out the ol' trusty body rips and had him turn his back to get away. The ref got in and started us again and I thought "Geez it'd be good to stop him with more of those". So I walked up swinging trying to go toe2toe when he tried to wrap his shin around my head. With the wide open stance and guard I had I managed to catch it with my left outer fore-arm.

Straight away I knew something wasn't right so I tested it with a jab on his chest which probly hurt me more than him. Then the whistle blew and they raised both our hands as a draw(I totally won, but was wearing a t-shirt not a ghi).
    This meant we had to fight again.

Unable to say no to a fight I bowed, shaped up and since my left ulna was fecked I circled right threw plenty of spin kicks at long range and somehow pulled off a win without knocking the arm too much. When I sat back down and I had more time to assess my damage I realised it would be wise to get it checked by the doctors, which turned out to be nothing of the sort.

Next stop hospital. I waited about 5 hours then found out they wont be able too see me for till midnight so I went home, took some painkillers and smoked a few extra fatties then went back only to be informed my local country hospital isnt equipped to fix me. I'll spare you more boring details and just say a full week later I was operated on.
    It was a long break, from just above the elbow to just below the wrist. The plate is about 7 inches held on with 6 screws. There is one other screw going in sideways - just to pull the bone together first.
    About 3 weeks later I had to go back to work, family to feed and all, building cabinets.
    Maybe a year later I have begun punching with power (kinda) and start doing thai-pads with a tkd/hapkido friend who weighs the same as me. My pads are pretty good and solid, not overly, but it felt like he kicked straight through the pad and shattered my arm!
    Unfortunately my sick mind needs violence so I keep hurting it every 6 months somehow (even wrestling). It usually takes a couple of months to feel better, or to its best standard anyway.
    I think the reasons it broke are:

* A few years off made bones less conditioned, which it turns out had been an important factor in my personal fighting strategies.
    * Not too sure about this one but, after years of marijuana use bones get weaker. This may also have something to do with it not healing strong.
    * fighting above natural weight class
    * Age. Was about 31 at the time. not 21
    At last I have finally called the doctors who will see me in 5 months and then put me on the waiting list to get the piece of garbage out of my arm.
    One last thing has anyone else had problems with their arthritis after getting the plate.

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 8:51am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the reason your forearm broke is because you blocked a headkick wrong.

If your coach taught you to block headkicks by 'catch[ing] it with my left outer fore-arm' you need to change gyms.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 9:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If smoking weed makes bones weaker than I would not have a whole bone in my body by now. As for evidence, I have seen 1 study involving mice, but that is not enough to state it as a fact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 5:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    No, the reason your forearm broke is because you blocked a headkick wrong
    Yeah I know, shame shame

If your coach taught you to block headkicks by 'catch[ing] it with my left outer fore-arm' you need to change gyms.
    I dont have a coach now, but no I havn't been taught that for a long time. I know its a bad way to deal with kicks but I thought he had no power....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There must be more to it than that, I'd gotten away with it for years against much better fighters. What is your correct way? (not double forearm, I had one arm punching)
    Last edited by jdempsey; 6/11/2011 5:29pm at . Reason: xtra note