LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ayt, seen the vid.
    I also like the 'reach around' type underhook - perfect for setting up all sorts of leg and hip reaps. Excellent vid!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 2:38pm

Style: Quanfa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really clear, well executed instruction in basic grappling. Great for a grappling noob like me. Thanks, Omega!

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 3:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Coach Josh, defo more of a Harai than an O soto. Easiest way to avoid a Judo terminology argument is not to use Judo terminology, say you're teaching Sambo and then just use English names, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I would tend to agree but it was taught to me originally by Tony Raven who was a Sachi Dan at the time, so I've stuck with that since then.
    Maybe the fact that he was a made up dan rank is what caused the Harai goshi to be an O soto.
    :TrollDad:

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 3:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I agree with Coach Josh, defo more of a Harai than an O soto. Easiest way to avoid a Judo terminology argument is not to use Judo terminology, say you're teaching Sambo and then just use English names, lol.

Maybe the fact that he was a made up dan rank is what caused the Harai goshi to be an O soto.
    :TrollDad:
    Well I'm going to disagree (you troll); that was a typo. You know what I meant. Anyway I think the 2 dimension nature of the video might prevent you from seeing why it can be classified as Osoto rather than Harai, but this is the reason why I stick with SAMBO classifications so we don't get into these discussions. (I noticed in my last few videos I make remarks like "I don't give a **** what you call it, this is what I'm calling it"..lol)

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 3:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIRC Akiyama does some nice ashi waza in his UFC fights, in-between jumping in to triangles.

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 3:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm going to disagree (you troll); that was a typo. You know what I meant. Anyway I think the 2 dimension nature of the video might prevent you from seeing why it can be classified as Osoto rather than Harai, but this is the reason why I stick with SAMBO classifications so we don't get into these discussions. (I noticed in my last few videos I make remarks like "I don't give a **** what you call it, this is what I'm calling it"..lol)
    I could post a video of another shichidan saying explicitly that what you're doing is a Harai goshi and him making a fuss about it not being an O soto gari, but it doesn't add anything to the video or really help anyone improve their no gi takedowns.

Like I said in my last post, best way to avoid a Judo terminology argument is not to use Judo terminology and just use English and say you're doing Sambo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 3:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I could post a video of another shichidan saying explicitly that what you're doing is a Harai goshi and him making a fuss about it not being an O soto gari, but it doesn't add anything to the video or really help anyone improve their no gi takedowns.

Like I said in my last post, best way to avoid a Judo terminology argument is not to use Judo terminology and just use English and say you're doing Sambo.
    Exactly. I just have so many judoka ask me what it would be called in Judo and I think to myself "You weren't told the English name for these?"

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 3:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW SAMBO names are classified as "Do this one, or this with hands here".

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 4:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106161

Grumble, grumble, the technical fora are about technique. If you want to debate nomenclature, go somewhere else. If you disagree with what someone calls a technique, all it takes is one post to do so, like Josh did.

Semantic debates have no place in this forum. It's all about martial technique in here. Since I know one of you slower ones is going to say, "But how do we discuss technique if we don't have agreed upon terminology?", let me answer that for you now.

"The technique in question, the one you call Seoi-nage and I call hip throw, . . ." and thereafter you are free to use your own name for the technique. How hard was that?

The above is for all you mouth breathers out there who are too dumb to think for yourself.

You're welcome.

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 4:46pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The little girl knows the difference:

(posted for utter adorableness)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast