Page 5 of 5 First 12345
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you running it without a pocket holster?
    I've generally had bad experiences with Ruger automatics. The one LCP I owned didn't work right.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Bikewer
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like many of similar threads, looks like this one is a bit contentious....
    I had a "mousegun" once. Way back when I was with my first department, I had a brief affair with a Walther PP. .380ACP.
    Carried it for a while but read several reporst of less-than-stellar performance in combat situations. Mostly involving police officers...

It's a trade-off. Yes, the current run of "compact" .380s are very small, light, and easy to carry. Very handy. Arguably better than no gun at all. Certainly better than a .22 or .25 ACP.
    That isn't saying much.

I'm an LEO of 40+ years. I would peg my absolute minimum at 9mm Parabellum. With the best ammo I could get. I would prefer .40 S&W. For my "retirement" gun, I'm torn between the baby Glock in .40, the S&W Shield in same, or one of the compact 9s like the Ruger.
    Still researching.
    I would not willingly carry anything smaller.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a similar stance as you. .380ACP is especially bad when you consider tiny .380ACP pistols have very short barrels. I recommended the .22 caliber because if someone really can't or are unwilling to keep and use a bigger gun, then it'd be better than having no gun.

9mm is my personal minimum, while .380ACP being my minimum recommended non-expert advice for others. For a lot of people its really not an option though. A lot of girls would have a lot of trouble concealing a bigger gun without changing out/limiting their wardrobe (i.e. like a boy, colonial pilgrim, or otherwise unfashionable altogether).

I run a 9mm over .40SW primarily because I run through a lot of ammo for my hobbies, and they are all 9mm; I'd rather get more practice in my carry piece and sacrifice some stopping power, than have a .40SW and not practice on my carry piece enough. I fully agree .40SW is by a big margin, much more effective than a 9mm. Note I'm comparing it to a .40SW because many super-slip automatics are available in both 9mm and .40SW
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In answer to the OP's question: see if you can find a range that will rent you a SiG P238.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345