Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 10:12am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP: Aim Surplus has Polish P-64's for $180 right now. If you want a dirt cheap mouse gun, you aren't going to find a quality pistol any cheaper than that.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...64+9x18+Pistol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 1:02pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHC_Holiday View Post
    OP: Aim Surplus has Polish P-64's for $180 right now. If you want a dirt cheap mouse gun, you aren't going to find a quality pistol any cheaper than that.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...64+9x18+Pistol

If he wishes to go really mouse he could always utilise one of the north American Arms mini revolvers in .22 mag , very small , good quality and more accurate than anything that small has a right to be , literally fits in the palm of you hand , loud with a one inch barrel though , and the .22 mag round is better than .25 acp or any of the .32s , in some case maybe better than .380. But then a mousegun is different as regards definition for each individual , to me an SP101 loaded with Glasers is a 'mouse gun' , to some folks it's a semi auto .25 or .32 , personally I have an affinity for wheel-guns , though nowadays I pass on the DA only models.

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 3:12pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    the .22 mag round is better than .25 acp or any of the .32s , in some case maybe better than .380.
    I highly doubt that .22 Magnum is more powerful than .327 Federal Magnum (this is posted in case you didn't know about the latter). The lack of a trigger guard on NAA's revolvers takes them out of consideration, for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bound and determined to pick some sort of arguement with me aren't ya , yeah right I didn't know about .327 , a caliber that's still in it's infancy , mayhap you need to do a bit more research on it.

And it should be apparent that my tastes in a 'mouse gun' run to something with a bit more oooommmph as far as defensive carry goes , which usually means .44 special or .357 mag , though .38 special will do in a pinch.

As regards the comparison you attempted to make , compare the .22 mag to .25 acp and .32 acp , you'll note what I mean,

And in the *field* a .22 mag is one hell of a lot more versatile than either of 'em , as regards the na arms mini revolvers in specific , you can look but you won't find a msaller power to package ratio , great little tackle box gun for snakes etc.

.327 has some potential as a game cartridge , along with some long distance potential , though it will never make it in silhouette competition simply because it doesn't carry enough power to knock over the 100 and 200 yard plates , and until better over the counter ammunition and more load data comes down the pike the cartridge is an also ran.

In your haste you forgot a number of others , the .257 jdj , .309 jdj , the .30 streaker , .257 Dart , the .32 ha and r mag........so are we talking wildcats and cartridges in development or are we talking practicality and cartridges folks might actually carry.

As for *no trigger guard* , so what , it's single action don't carry it hammer back , how hard is that , hell I don't even carry a 1911 in true condition one , meaning hammer back , if you can't get that hammer back on the draw then you need to practice some more , even with a DA revolver I habitually get the first round off single action , from any carry rig , though I do tend to favor crossdraw rigs , and prior to completely slagging off SA revolvers go take a look at what the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd is doing with them , and for years my daily carry sidearm in Alaska was a 4 and 5/8 s Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag , any handgun is light for bear protection but it served me quite well in a true pinch ,nowadays it's usually a Redhawk that's been heavily modified , magnaported and cut to 3 and a quarter , it still sees 1250 fps pretty easily with a 300 grain xtp , andround the 1175 mark with one of my hardcast 325 , stack it over ww296 ,2400 , n110 or h110 doesn't much matter , the same load out of a 7.5 goes 1500 , a bit more if I push it.

Anyway I digress , a 'mousegun' by it's nature is going to be a compromise one way or the other , either power or concealability. Truth be know I wouldn't carry what most folks consider a mousegun except as a last ditch backup.

I'm very pragmatic as regards sidearms , rifles now I have a tendency to go off chasing velocity and the like , handguns , well they have to work and work every time or they get gone here , I've gotten rid of more than one " name" over reliability issues , most recently a Kimber , I've other examples.

If you're actually going to carry a sidearm for defensive purposes then you may very well at some point bet your life on it's functioning correctly while you are engaged in a high stress scenario , again tacticool doesn't get it , reliability and function comes first , gadgetry , looks and 'cool factor' comes dead last.

You seem like a firearms nut , give me your opinion on the new Mucho Magnums , I'll reserve my stance until I hear yours though I'd hazard a guess we'll share similar opinion.

Though downscale a bit I'm *highly* interested in the .41 gnr , lots of potential there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll point out a factor for consideration , the less powerful the cartridge that you carry the more critical your ammunition choice will become , as an example if carrying a .38 snubby one would not wish to load it with a 158 grain JSP , not when there are specific defense examples available over the counter in various semi jacketed hollow points in 110 and 125` grain versions that are zinging right along.

Bullet construction can be critical to performance , in a defensive situation or in a hunting scenario , the same slug that performs in a spectacular manner on a thousand lb moose my well zing right on through a hundred forty lb Antelop and leave him running off on you.

For reference , though the Hatcher Scale is much argued about the two best manstoppers on it were the 125 grain .357 mag and the 230 grain Hydrashok .45 acp. The big mags just go right on through , 9mm parabellum has improved drastically since then by the way.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 6/25/2011 5:19pm at .

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 6:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bound and determined to pick some sort of arguement with me aren't ya
    What argument?
    the .22 mag round is better than .25 acp or any of the .32s [emphasis added]
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    I highly doubt that .22 Magnum is more powerful than .327 Federal Magnum (this is posted in case you didn't know about the latter).
    yeah right I didn't know about .327

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What argument?
    That's it , well ok then.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 7:51pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I highly doubt that .22 Magnum is more powerful than .327 Federal Magnum
    Since you like using caliber and cartridge names interchangeably, here's a 22 magnum pistol that is more powerful than a 327 magnum:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=9671542

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ROTFLMAO , and then there's the .22-250 , .223 , .224 , .22-243/ middlestead , .22-250 ackley improved....etc.

Wonder what he'd make of the real fast .17s ,.19s and the .20s , some of which are flat out stepping along.

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHC_Holiday View Post
    Since you like using caliber and cartridge names interchangeably, here's a 22 magnum pistol that is more powerful than a 327 magnum:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=9671542
    Not a mousegun, and why do you think it's more powerful? If you're going to claim that pistol is more powerful because it can be made to fire .44 Magnum, you've also missed the point of Jazzman's latest derail which was comparing the power of .22 Magnum to other cartridge types. By the way, that I'm not the one confusing fractions of an inch for cartridge names: all of my references have been to specific catridge names within certain calibers.
    ROTFLMAO , and then there's the .22-250 , .223 , .224 , .22-243/ middlestead , .22-250 ackley improved....etc.

Wonder what he'd make of the real fast .17s ,.19s and the .20s , some of which are flat out stepping along.
    Are you drunk? You are the person who claimed .22 Magnum was more powerful than any of the .32s. Why do you think bringing up irrelevant cartridge types makes you any less wrong? Why the **** do you keep shitting all over this thread?

I guess moderation has left the armory; there's no way derails like this would've survived in the grappling subforum.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast