Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 4:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I want a mousegun for CCW

I'd like to hear from someone who has shot at least 2 of these 3 pistols -- Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard .380, KelTec P-3AT -- and can tell me how they compare at the range. I don't care how they look, how long they last, or what the company's customer service is like, only how they shoot. Which is the most accurate, manageable, and/or comfortable to practice with?

I already know that the Kahr .380 is the better gun, I just dont believe I should have to pay that much for a serviceable .380. I also know that the .380 is a marginal caliber. I own a Glock 27, but can't always conceal it well enough. And yes, there are 9mms that are almost as small, but the .380s are smaller. Thanks in advance!

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know you've said only reply if you've shot any one of the .380s but I know someone who has the LCP (which I love) it's really small, and it can turn in your hand if you don't have a good grip

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 7:59pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's not on your list, but I'd recommend checking out the Bersa Thunder .380. It's pretty much a copy of the venerable Walther PPK. It operates on blowback with a fixed barrel so it's very accurate for its size but the recoil is stiffer than one would expect from a .380. It weighs a little more, is a little bit bigger and has an extra round in the magazine compared to what you're looking at, plus it has a decent sized grip and can fire in a nice single action mode. Even better, you should be able to find one new for less than $300 and it will function pretty well flawlessly after you break it in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 11:41am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are several things that need to be addressed in your initial postings in order to fully address your query. I own the S&W Bodyguard 380 and have also fired the Ruger LCP. My decision to go with the Bodyguard was it was slightly smaller and felt better in my hand. I am retired military and retired law enforcement, so I am comfortable with most handguns. I wanted an easily concealable, "pocket pistol" for self defense. If you look just at a quick to employ, easy to hide, smack in the chops type of handgun, the 380s are not too bad. Also have a PPK, but it is bulkier and heavier and then we go back to the concealable issue. I can put the bodyguard in gym trunks, dress pants, jeans or whatever and it hides well in a side pocket. The DA only trigger is no big deal when you consider it is a pocket pistol for rapid deployment in a threat situation and the length of pull will not be an issue when the pucker factor cranks up. The integrated laser is cute, but unneccessary at extreme close ranges. If you have time to employ it, I found it accurate on my model. Of course, you primarily instinct shot at 10 feet and less rather than aim, so it is a moot point in my opinion. But then everyone has an opinion. Just my two cents.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Italian Rapier &Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a keltec mouse gun and it rattled it's self unreliable in under 500 rounds. I have been told that their quality control has improved but I am sticking with my untralite taurus 85 wheel gun. The gun just disapears in to a pocket or in a IWB holster. I am thinking about picking up a one the new S&W polymer revolvers. I carry a Glock 22 for work and I don't find that baby glocks that much more concealable

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 4:39am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the Ruger LCP, read this:
    “Budget Gun Review: Ruger LCP” by Scrapper

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 10:18pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend a Walther PPK extremely highly if it's in your price range. It's a little more expensive than most pistols of the type and definitely heavier than most (steel vs. polymer) but it's by far the best shooting of all of them in my experience. I **** you not, you can put a baseball sized group into a paper target from 50 yards with one if you take your time and without too much difficulty because the SA trigger pull is unbelievably smooth and the blowback design is inherently VERY accurate. It's the only .380 pistol worth owning IMPO.

If you are hell-bent on polymer, though, get the Kel-Tec. The LCP is almost identical to the P3AT but the Kel-Tec has a more positive grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 11:31pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Charter Arms Bulldog FTW. Weighs less than a SW J-frame, and shoots flying ashtrays to boot.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:23am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Balls View Post
    Charter Arms Bulldog FTW. Weighs less than a SW J-frame, and shoots flying ashtrays to boot.
    The 200 grain .44 Special Gold Dot load available from both CCI and Speer is not the same as the old 200 grain JHP loaded in .45ACP by Speer so many years ago.

If you meant “flying ashtrays” as a generic term for large bore hollow points, please ignore this post.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 6:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see a compelling reason to go smaller than the Walther PPS. Nice gun. One of my partners has one and I am thinking about getting one as my new off duty.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast