Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 12:11am

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    first, yes you are wrong. very wrong. squats and deadlifts are fantastic core workouts, this isn't up for debate.

as for the OP, go to the gym and get something designed for you. nobody here knows enough about your situation or your friends to comment with any authority.
    well if that isn't the dumbe....actually...Alex is correct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 12:13am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    I see no core work or cardio.

Also, more leg work.
    More leg work? They are squating 3 days a week!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 9:20am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by proteinshakez View Post
    The program itself seems decent, i personally would add one compound shoulder movement as well (standing push press, clean and press, etc) but that's just me. Give it a shot for a few months and see how you're looking and feeling.
    I think standing push press is the same as military press.

I have done this program for 1 week now. my friend have done it too.. we have used to low weights and to many reps but we will adjust it when we get the technique 100%. I think it works well for us. right now I my legs are shoot. Gonna rest until monday.

another thing I like about this program and compound weight training... is that it takes alot less time. I can do this program in 30 min or something like that.. pretty close to 30 min atleast. I used to have a 3 hours program in the old days. No wonder I got feed up with weight training. 3 hours= epic boredom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 1:25pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    I think standing push press is the same as military press.

I have done this program for 1 week now. my friend have done it too.. we have used to low weights and to many reps but we will adjust it when we get the technique 100%. I think it works well for us. right now I my legs are shoot. Gonna rest until monday.

another thing I like about this program and compound weight training... is that it takes alot less time. I can do this program in 30 min or something like that.. pretty close to 30 min atleast. I used to have a 3 hours program in the old days. No wonder I got feed up with weight training. 3 hours= epic boredom.
    my current workout takes an hour and a half (that includes the weight, 8 sets of bodyweight ****, etc), and even then i'm really struggling half the time to keep with it, i can't even imagine 3 hours of weights lol. At that point all you're really doing is getting diminishing returns imo.

Standing push press isn't the same as a strict military press, you use your legs to assist you in getting the weight up (it's still racked at your shoulders but you know what i mean), generally lets me go heavier than i would be able to do on a strict military press, not to mention i just personally like the move better, you may like military press a bit more :)

If you're working your legs to the point where they're exhausted, then as i said, 9 sets is more than sufficient for you right now. Give it some time and see where you end up in say a months time, little longer maybe, then adjust as needed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:33pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Op,

Your program is simple short and sweet. But one of the things i see that will eventually become a hindrance to your training is the rep range. Your strength will naturally increase witht the program that you have designed but you will suffer loss in strength endurance due to the low rep range of the exercises. Obviously if your just starting out you can adjust this as you go along.

Also ask your friend to get checked out for his back problems. Lifting heavy will agravate existing injuries he has.

I just hope that you don't go onto the mat in 3 months time thinking you'll be able to wipe the floor with everyone due to your new found strength, only to find that after a couple of exercises your fatigued and moving at 50% power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2011 7:49am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edselaquino View Post
    I just hope that you don't go onto the mat in 3 months time thinking you'll be able to wipe the floor with everyone due to your new found strength, only to find that after a couple of exercises your fatigued and moving at 50% power.
    Very good post and point. I have trained bjj and I know alot about fatigue :P However I don't know how to lift to prevent fatigue. I am gonna follow this program for 3 months see how it goes and start working on fatigue prevention when I start bjj or whatever we end up with.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12