Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 4:31pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me with program

Hi. Me and friend are gonna start lifting weights together. Our goal is to get as strong as possible. We are gonna start training some kind of martial art together in 3-4 months. Right now it looks like we will do boxing or mma or thai.. maybe bjj.. not sure.. atleast one of them.

Here is the strength program I had in mind.

workout A
    3x5 squat
    3x5 bench press
    1x5 deadlift
    2x5-8 dips

workout b
    3x5 squat
    3x5 standing military press
    3x5 pendlay rows
    2x5-8 chin ups

day one will be workout a day 2 workout b.. with a resting day in between ofc.. and this prosess will be repeated.. we are aiming at 3 training days each week and 4 days rest. weight will be adjusted so we can just do 5 reps. food intake will be regulated so we gain abit of weight each week.

This was the plan I had in mind.. there is only a small problem. My friend have lower back issues and he don't want to do squats or deadlift. squats and deadlifts are the backbone of this program.

So I am asking bullshido if they could help me and my friend out with a training program that would increase our strength and prepare us for the martial art classes that we are gonna join in 3-4 months(the have beginner classes around august .. so we have to wait) maybe I can replace squats and deadlifts with something?

Thanks in advance

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 1:25pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can ask some guys in the gym if the can help us to do the exercise correct. What about the program? Does it look ok?

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see no core work or cardio.

Also, more leg work.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 2:27pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    I see no core work or cardio.

Also, more leg work.
    that's funny, because i see a ton of core work in this workout, as well as a ton of leg work. 9 sets of squats a week is by no means "not enough leg work". If you don't get a core workout when you do squats and deadlifts then you're doing them wrong.

As far as your friend being ok, have him start with JUST the bar, make sure he gets adjusted to the movements, then slowly build them up, there's no reason to rush.

The program itself seems decent, i personally would add one compound shoulder movement as well (standing push press, clean and press, etc) but that's just me. Give it a shot for a few months and see how you're looking and feeling.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any particular reason you're being pedantic? If you see someone doing deadlifts or squats and think "Yeah, that guy is doing a solid core workout", that's up to you. I see no reason why he cannot add in some additional core work that would have literally no negative bearing on any of his other lifts.

9 sets of squats is not particularly high. Even SL5x5 recommends 15 sets a week of squats.

Ugly, is there any reason why you are making your own program as opposed to following an establishing one?
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any particular reason you're being pedantic? If you see someone doing deadlifts or squats and think "Yeah, that guy is doing a solid core workout", that's up to you. I see no reason why he cannot add in some additional core work that would have literally no negative bearing on any of his other lifts.

9 sets of squats is not particularly high. Even SL5x5 recommends 15 sets a week of squats.

Ugly, is there any reason why you are making your own program as opposed to following an establishing one?
    There is absolutely no reason for him as a brand new person to lifting weights, to be doing 15+ sets of squats a week (i assume he's new based on the fact he said they're going to start lifting weights together, if you're not new Ugly then forgive my assumption). 3 sets 3 times a week is more than enough when you're starting out.

I'm not being pedantic, i'm pointing out the things lacking in your posts lol. You said you see "no core work" in that workout, which is completely inaccurate. You're right, there's no reason he CAN'T add additional core work to the workout, but there's also no reason he needs to under your basis of he has "no core work" in the workout, because he does :)

As far as making his own program, many people who are new tend to do this, they feel that what they see in a program might be too much, or too little for them. This is usually based off inexperience. It's also a given that if he is in fact new to lifting, that he's taking information and lifts that he's seen elsewhere and other programs/people do, and trying to make one he feels will work for him. Trial and error my friend, just like anything you do in any martial art, the gym is no different.

You come to the gym i work at Kickapoo and give me 15 minutes of your time, i guarantee you i'd give you a better "core workout" than anything you can come up with on your own without ever needing to do a single crunch lol.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SL5x5 is designed for new lifters and involves 15 sets of squats a week, that's why I mentioned it.

If you honestly consider squats and deadlifts a legitimate core exercise, you're the first person I have met who has. I do not consider squats/DL to be a core exercise and as such made the post I did.

If you actually work at a gym and are condoning a new lifter designing his own program with a lack of formal knowledge on the topic over following an established, time-tested and well-thought-out program such as SL5x5 or SS then I'm not entirely sure you are in the right line of work.

Also, I don't do crunches, but nice try.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 10:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    awww my posts were deleted...i'll try to sleep tonight but now..knowing they're gone...i don't know if i'll be able to :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    btw Kickapoo, seems we got moved to Trollshido, we should be honored :D

Anyways Ugly, check out the 5x5 program, see how it compares to what you have here, and see how you like both your program and the 5x5, then judge for yourself :)

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you honestly consider squats and deadlifts a legitimate core exercise, you're the first person I have met who has. I do not consider squats/DL to be a core exercise and as such made the post I did.
    first, yes you are wrong. very wrong. squats and deadlifts are fantastic core workouts, this isn't up for debate.

as for the OP, go to the gym and get something designed for you. nobody here knows enough about your situation or your friends to comment with any authority.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast