Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 3:55pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    One thing I see a lot of beginners do is drag their rear leg behind them like an anchor, which in turn creates the awful habit of leaning forward while throwing punches.
    Um...no. Try again.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Um...no.
    Ok then.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 5:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    Ok then.
    Well, I know what you mean but you're equation is wrong. One does not have to do with the other.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 7:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen guys drag their feet a lot. I for one was initially trained like that. I've seen guys drag their feet and do just fine. I personally found that picking it up and taking deliberate steps gave me better balance, speed, and made it much easier to punch and kick from different angles.

But it has nothing to do with leaning forward. In fact, you need to have the back leg planted to move your upper body forward
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 12:03am

Style: Judo, BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Wrong.

To satisfy forum rules: Kicking without taking a step is perfectly OK. Many times the step will telegraph your intent, although sometimes it is worth it to create a better angle/distance.
    I disagree. You have to pull off a combo to mask your real intent. With stepping with the kick you can generate alot power. Next time look how the dutch kickboxers use there footwork, you'll find a heck alot of them setup a combo and use a step for there kicks.

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 12:37am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes i will watch those Dutch kickboxers very intently :FapFap:

There are situations you want to step and there are situations you don't want to step. I throw the vast majority of my kicks without stepping and have no problem whatsoever with generating power. You are not only wrong in thinking this is a common error, you are wrong in thinking this is an error at all.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

:)

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by Sang
    To satisfy forum rules: Kicking without taking a step is perfectly OK. Many times the step will telegraph your intent, although sometimes it is worth it to create a better angle/distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by yottabit View Post
    I disagree. You have to pull off a combo to mask your real intent. With stepping with the kick you can generate alot power. Next time look how the dutch kickboxers use there footwork, you'll find a heck alot of them setup a combo and use a step for there kicks.
    His point was, you can kick without a step. You don't have to pull off a combo. It might be advisable in many situations, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all of landing kicks.

It's perfectly feasible to throw the kick, without the step, but still turning on the ball of the supporting foot, to bring the hip around. It's how we were taught in SanDa/SanShou. There's a trade off, of sorts....telegraphing versus power. Different things for different situations/opponents.

Plenty of power can be generated without the step. Learning to throw the front/stamp kick at the first sign of a leg twitch is a nice thing for people who insist on the step, or switch-step.

We were also drilled to hop w/ the sidekick, and have it all come together simultaneously, for surprise, and speed.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 5/28/2011 1:00am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 10:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yottabit View Post
    And you're an idiot. You're statements are ignorant. Why don't you stick to telling you're dweeb friends how to do things and leave the real instruction to people who know what they're talking about.

Seriously guys who do you think you're communicating with here? Learn to qualify your answers. Just because you prefer to do it doesn't mean all other techniques are bad, and just because you like doesn't make it a good technique.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    And you're an idiot. You're statements are ignorant. Why don't you stick to telling you're dweeb friends how to do things and leave the real instruction to people who know what they're talking about.

Seriously guys who do you think you're communicating with here? Learn to qualify your answers. Just because you prefer to do it doesn't mean all other techniques are bad, and just because you like doesn't make it a good technique.
    Truth..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's mostly the way you said it:
    "I disagree. You have to pull off a combo to mask your real intent. With stepping with the kick you can generate alot power. Next time look how the dutch kickboxers use there footwork, you'll find a heck alot of them setup a combo and use a step for there kicks."

could have been:

"On the other hand, one can sometimes use a combo to set up a hard kick and then go back to watching Dutch kickboxers on TV and beating off."

Biggest mistake I've made so far was kicking Sempai in the face when visiting a Shotokan dojo.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast