Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 9:40pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yottabit View Post
    The first one, but the second one is important too.
    Wrong.

To satisfy forum rules: Kicking without taking a step is perfectly OK. Many times the step will telegraph your intent, although sometimes it is worth it to create a better angle/distance.
    Last edited by Sang; 5/26/2011 9:46pm at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 9:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but many of the young guys I see training today are head-hunters and don't seem to want to develop good body-shot technique.
    I guess its because of the advent of MMA where there are less bodypunches thrown, as opposed to the old days where guys trained in Boxing and really had to know how to work on the inside.
    I still encourage the young guys I see training to practice their bodyshots when doing their bag work though, its a good thing to have in your arsenal. I like it when I see a young fighter who can turn his hips and dig in with a good hook to the body..
    If you can land shots to the body in a sparring session - then you already have the head...words of wisdom from an old teacher of mine.
    Best advice on thread so far.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 11:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    The most common mistakes will vary from skill level.
    I don't make common mistakes.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Staying loose.

You can't effectively evade and counterstrike if you're tight and going for the knockout, swinging for the fence strike with every throw

Learn to be a counter puncher/kicker. Realize your opponents commitment to direction and capitalize.

Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses based on your body type. Short - learn to work inside. Tall - use your reach advantage.

Also - Don't be a *****.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106606

Previously, I have refrained from issuing infractions for being a dumbass in this forum. However, if you've been a member of this website for more than six months, you should know better than to make a low content or YMAS type post in the technique forums.

This is an advisory post to inform all members that soon infractions will be issued for making off topic or low content posts in the Basic Technique forum.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 8:57am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but many of the young guys I see training today are head-hunters and don't seem to want to develop good body-shot technique.
    I guess its because of the advent of MMA where there are less bodypunches thrown, as opposed to the old days where guys trained in Boxing and really had to know how to work on the inside.
    I still encourage the young guys I see training to practice their bodyshots when doing their bag work though, its a good thing to have in your arsenal. I like it when I see a young fighter who can turn his hips and dig in with a good hook to the body..
    If you can land shots to the body in a sparring session - then you already have the head...words of wisdom from an old teacher of mine.
    Exactly what I'm talking about.
    I think it's natural though - In boxing, or MMA you see very few KO's to the body so untrained folks don't appreciate the necessity of body work. Or body conditioning for that matter.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 10:43am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why are we listing mistakes? Why would you go around looking for mistakes as opposed for the way to do it right?

which is still BS, because different people do it differently..

Last night a dutch ex-champion kickboxer told me that he kicks with his instep. Why? That's just what he does. According to all kickboxing rules that's a big no-no. He's got his reasons. It's not a mistake,

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 11:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphilis View Post
    why are we listing mistakes? Why would you go around looking for mistakes as opposed for the way to do it right?

which is still BS, because different people do it differently..

Last night a dutch ex-champion kickboxer told me that he kicks with his instep. Why? That's just what he does. According to all kickboxing rules that's a big no-no. He's got his reasons. It's not a mistake,
    Because thats what the OP asked for. I think you have it wrong thinking instep kicks are mistakes. I use it sometimes, especially against taller people.

Look buddy, there is a distinction between different techniques and mistakes. If its merely a different technique, it shouldn't be on this thread. Clear mistakes are different things. Its not BS to list mistakes for that reason. The reason this thread is BS is because reading common mistakes isn't going to be that helpful and its better to just have your coach point it out for you. And if you're experienced enough, then you don't need to read this thread to know the common mistakes.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 2:03pm

Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Because thats what the OP asked for. I think you have it wrong thinking instep kicks are mistakes. I use it sometimes, especially against taller people.

Look buddy, there is a distinction between different techniques and mistakes. If its merely a different technique, it shouldn't be on this thread. Clear mistakes are different things. Its not BS to list mistakes for that reason. The reason this thread is BS is because reading common mistakes isn't going to be that helpful and its better to just have your coach point it out for you. And if you're experienced enough, then you don't need to read this thread to know the common mistakes.
    To piggy back on his point some things are a a pro-con choice like whether you like a triangle style guard(ala pacman) or a lower guard with shoulder rolls(mayweather jr.). Some things like tucking the chin are flat out better then sticking it up in the air.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I see a lot of beginners do is drag their rear leg behind them like an anchor, which in turn creates the awful habit of leaning forward while throwing punches.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast