Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 10:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

VIDEO - Transitional Escaping and Bottom Escape Concepts

In this video I talk about something that is commonly taught and done when you are caught in side control (leg frame) and I give my particular opinion about it even though it is taught in many gyms. I also talk about the importance of preparation/positional timing when you are getting passed.

You might learn something and possibly unlearn something at the same time.

Thanks for watching,
    Jason
    http://www.jasonscully.com
    Last edited by jasculs; 5/02/2011 11:11pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 11:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    May I add that you're vulnerable to certain leg locks when your legs are up like that? Here I thought I was the only one who taught this way. Good base video Jason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 11:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    May I add that you're vulnerable to certain leg locks when your legs are up like that? Here I thought I was the only one who taught this way. Good base video Jason.
    Exactly...like the forever dreaded inverted heel hook as an example. Thanks. I still find TONS of people still teach this for some reason.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs View Post
    Exactly...like the forever dreaded inverted heel hook as an example. Thanks. I still find TONS of people still teach this for some reason.
    This is a problem I've had to look into since making more of an effort to address the possibilities of leg attacks as well as to utilize them. I will try to watch the video this afternoon but currently at that place that allows me to pay for Jiu-Jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 9:58pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there's a habit that I have to break.

I can't say that I was taught leg frames - more like everyone learns it by osmosis. Somebody did that when I had them in half guard and it made mounting them difficult, so I'll do that too.

I normally get trapped under side control or KOB by the higher belts, and my defence may be tenacious. But it's time for a new strategy.

Thanks for the epiphany.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched. Good stuff. I've found that I have transitioned out of utilizing that particular posture due to my escapes, and ability to escape before they solidify the position, being hampered by it. I use a wide kickstand with the far-side leg and the knee/toes turned into the mat for the near-side leg. Basically, this:

http://www.caneprevost.com/2011/03/3...-sides-bottom/

I've found this to not only help my ability to regain my Guard and keep from getting flat out but I found it to be a good posture for Side Control, Mount, Knee Mount, Side Mount, and North/South. Good to have one solid tool that works in multiple scenarios. Makes it readily available and almost immediately applicable.

Ugh, that heel hook sucks!