Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 12:01am

Style: Chameleon Combat Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first amateur MMA fight

The fight was in February, but I wanted to get a video b4 i said anything to satisfy u guys. Unfortunately this is the only thing i've been able to track down thus far and it doesn't show my entire fight, which sucks. Anyway u can skip forward to 6:00 to have a look at the minute (or so) of the fight that's shown.

What isn't shown is a couple of striking exchanges, leg kicks and a double leg takedown. I'm still trying to get a video of the whole fight. I'll upload as soon as I get it.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 11:14am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting your vid. Which are you? White trunks or black with red?

Any thoughts on your performance?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 6:44pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good on you for taking the first step. Are there lots of opportunities for ammy bouts in your area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Thanks for posting your vid. Which are you? White trunks or black with red?

Any thoughts on your performance?
    Well my fight is only shown from 6:00 to 7:00 of the video, so I'm the one in the black and red trunks.

I think i did pretty ok. I've been feel like my striking is better than my ground work for a little while now and since there's no BJJ available in Barbados, I've been considering taking up judo so that I can get some additional practice.

Our training camp leading up to the fight was pretty good. We ran 3 kms, 3 times a week and increased our training from 2 hrs 3 days a week, to 3 hrs 5 days a week. The fights were scheduled for two 5 minute rounds, so coming on to the end of the camp we were doing three 6 minute rounds just to make sure that fatigue wasn't a huge problem in the fights.

I've wanted to compete in MMA for a while now, but the last 2 competitions didn't have anyone in my weight category. Even this one, my original opponent dropped out about a month b4 the fight, but luckily they were able to find a replacement from St. Lucia.

The whole event wasn't well run imho. There were a lot of major inconsistencies in the officiating and a lot of bad calls. Honestly our club knew that the organisers and judges are a bit shifty, but we ignored that out of the love for competition and we got shafted.

An example is that the doctor stopped 2 fights that my team mates were winning but the head judge "over ruled" her decision and allowed the fights to continue. In one instance the opponent's left eye was swollen shut and after several stoppages, the doctor said that she can't allow the guy to continue fighting, but the head judge just walked over and said no let it continue.

In any case, we've been looking at competing overseas, but the main problem with that is the travel costs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    Good on you for taking the first step. Are there lots of opportunities for ammy bouts in your area?
    Not as many as I would like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    Not as many as I would like.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 10:26am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry - I meant to put "black with white trunks or black with red".

It's really hard to tell much about your fight given your dominant position when the video started, but you look good. Is there wrestling in Barbados? That might be good for you - would certainly give you some help on takedowns. If you do take judo you might want to mention to instructors that you do no-gi - many judo grips and subs are cloth reliant, you'll want to focus on ones that can translate to no gi. (bjj is the same, but many bjj schools offer no-gi classes).

At any rate, nice work and congratulations on the win. I'll stay subscribed and hopefully you'll find the full fight to post. I'd love to see it.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    If you do take judo you might want to mention to instructors that you do no-gi - many judo grips and subs are cloth reliant, you'll want to focus on ones that can translate to no gi. (bjj is the same, but many bjj schools offer no-gi classes).
    That is an excellent point, I honestly hadn't thought about that :(. We do grappling as a part of our karate, it's no where near the level of BJJ, so whereas I have some experience, I don't think it's anywhere near enough.

Unfortunately there's no wrestling here either so judo seems like it's my only option. I'll have to see if any of the schools here offer no-gi classes though. Either that or see if any of the judoka are up for a roll without the gi after class.