225021 Bullies, 3686 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 8:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida wouldn't be where he is today without Steven Seagal.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 9:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDERISAY View Post
    Isn't that kick a technique in suparimpei of Goju ryu? In Uechi Ryu dan kumite it is known as a flying jump kick. I believe it is also in taekwondo. Generally it is used to rapidly close distance while attacking.
    That kick is in damn near every striking style that involves kicks. Yes, we know what it is called.

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 10:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Well I do admit being a little bit of a nutrider here, but I'll go ahead and add that karate training (eventually/hopefully) teaches striking powerfully at gazilions of possible angles (personal note, I like the spinning back/sides to the head plenty, but in sd would think that that kick that breaks all those boards would really hurt some asshole's shin) and Machida RULES! Uh, let me calm down... Machida has used TMA in an exemplary manner.

FRONT KICK!!!!! I LOVE FRONT KICKS!
    We're all fans if we're posting here (one hopes). My issue is with knee-jerk reactions re: karate.

You get people who go to a stripmall-dojo, wave around at air for an hour twice a week and mistakenly call this krottercise 'karate'.

Some of them then go on to something more effective than
    krottercise but continue to recall what they'd done in the stripmall as 'karate' and thus become automatic karate-bashers. They'll find any excuse to dismiss any effective karate they see in MMA.

Others call krottercise 'karate' and continue on with it, maintaining their delusion that what they do is effective MA. They'll see a karate-related victory in MMA and think that what they saw on PPV is what they do in the stripmall twice a week.

What they all have in common is a knee-jerk reaction to whatever karate they see in MMA...as well as mistakenly associating krottercise with 'karate'.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All true, but MMA proponents shouldn't be all defensive about it, either. Machida has a strong karate background in addition to MMA. He used karate technique he's been practicing since a child to win the fight. No need to de-emphasize it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's at least one other Shotokan trained bb out there fighting well:'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uyuN...embedded#at=50
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 1:53pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Frank Brennan from the 1980s. Apparently the whole JKA Team trained to beat him. They failed.

Enjoy.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 8:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    warning, kata til 1:43... and anoying repeated shots, but nice rndhs sweep leg takedown at 2:56 - a personal fave and the same technique that was on Hong Kong TV with cops taking people with knives down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post

Frank Brennan from the 1980s. Apparently the whole JKA Team trained to beat him. They failed.

Enjoy.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 1:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice opening KO (after all that nijushiho and trophy-handout stuff) and indeed sweet sweep-roundhouse just before 3:00). I don't really get no-contact sparring but, if some can adapt this to make for out-of-nowhere KOs in open-ruleset situations like MMA, more power to them.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 9:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've found that a lot of schools (some karate, some Hawaiian Kempo, Kosho Shorie ryu Kempo etc), unlike KK or Shotokan, don't practice leg kicks/unbalancing/takedowns and they are therefore very susceptible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:14pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a nice clip of Shotokan transferred to MMA. I found this interesting:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234