Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 9:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the comments. The concussion stuff is extremely worrying. Probably a legit fighter who might not be such a legit teacher, and it's good to have this info come upon when googling his style.

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 11:35pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not linking No. 1 Son's post because it's so long, but his post confirms my initial hunch.

I'm a little concerned that the GM had a random guy off the street who he knew nothing about fight his top ranking student which resulted in the untrained guy getting a concussion and nearly ko'd. I'm relieved that the GM at least stopped it before it got worse. I feel an advanced student should be able to control a newb with ease without damaging them too much, but for all I know you were spazzing out and the guy had no choice but beat your ass or risk getting his beat.

Wierd that the Gm has you call him some term used to describe African royalty. Ego trip much?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 4:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    . During the class, he had me spar to see where my skills were at.... So anyways when I got into the Kwa Asilia bla bla place he had me spar first, and of course I had no idea what to expect. He first put me against he most senior student, who was about a month away from his B.B. In about the first 6 seconds I got my ass kicked. The sparring was full-force and I ended up with a concussion but "voice" stopped it before I was KO'd or anything. So then he has me spar the next most senior student, and I continued to be dominated, having never previously been taught how to properly protect my head. Anyways eventually I got down to sparring a yellow belt who was closer to my own weight (210 at the time, the first students were 20-30lbs lighter). Now that I knew what to expect I held my own pretty well, but it was still a bit awkward for me to hit someone full-force in a sparring situation.
    Major red flags that the "grandmaster" had an unknown off the streets go "live" with his senior student, unknown gets tagged hard enough to get concussed, and then the "grandmaster" has unknown go "live" with MULTIPLE other students in a row after being "domintated" by multiple students? Ego trip over safety. No thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2011 2:35pm

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I'm not linking No. 1 Son's post because it's so long, but his post confirms my initial hunch.

I'm a little concerned that the GM had a random guy off the street who he knew nothing about fight his top ranking student which resulted in the untrained guy getting a concussion and nearly ko'd. I'm relieved that the GM at least stopped it before it got worse. I feel an advanced student should be able to control a newb with ease without damaging them too much, but for all I know you were spazzing out and the guy had no choice but beat your ass or risk getting his beat.
    If by "spazzing out" you mean driving straight for his face with a flurry of WC chain punches, then yeah, that's pretty much what I was doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Wierd that the Gm has you call him some term used to describe African royalty. Ego trip much?
    When he would refer to himself during class, he almost exclusively did so in the 3rd person, using this title.

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 2:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually attended this school and studied under it's "Grandmaster" for some time. While he is an egomaniac, and he has developed his "Original" style (which is a mesh of approximately six recognizeable styles, none really African in origin), he is actually a knowledgeable fighter. His ways are very traditional. The average individual will not grasp what he used to teach. He has indeed dumbed it down to appeal to the masses for the almighty $$$$. On my first day there, I too was pitted against the highest ranking student, however he was defeated rather easily. He had skills, but was not in my league. Later on I was put up against his 2nd in command in a grappling match who weighed approximately 265lbs and stands about 6'4". I'm just under 6'. I was outweighed by nearly 75lbs. To me that didn't matter because I do not believe in weight classes. A fight is a fight and you should prepare yourself to take on anyone. Needless to say, while I believe myself to be the better all around fighter, his power was raw, and I lost. I fought foolishly. Brashly. I joined his school because I was looking for that structure, someone who would take me to the next stage. I have been training in Combative Arts since the age of 10. To make what is becoming a very long story short, his teachings are effective, and not very many people are using certain techniques that he teaches. But the man is not genuine when it comes to his students. He has his favorites and it is about $$$ to him. He protects certain students by not letting them fight people who can beat them. He can't have his black belt losing to a guy who just walked through the door. He won't allow it. He's crafty that way. He tries to drag out the curriculum so you will have to stay there for years to obtain the black belt. Even if you're capable of achieving it beforehand. He will hold you back if you're "Learning too fast." It's complete bs and he actually believes you to be dumb enough to stick around. You see people this class is about him...although you will take some great techniques from his teaching, it is ultimately about getting "his art" known worldwide. He has rubbed so many people the wrong way. I used to defend him. But I see why he catches the heat he does. If you join his class with a good skillset walking in, he'll want to claim that he taught you what you know so you look more impressive to people in a short amount of time. If you sign up for 3 months, he'll make sure he doesn't give you ALL you need so you'll stick around for more. He claims it to be an African American Martial Art, yet the terms are in an incorrect form of Swahili. I have had native Swahili speakers confirm his dialogue. He cannot keep adult students because adults can see through his BS. He can't even keep Black Students. And I'm sure they would probably be more willing to listen to what he has to say especially in the way he presents it. He is not royalty. He is a man who at one point was a formidable fighter, and can teach you some things, but not the type of man you can truly trust. I hope this information helps. Take it from me, I am a "True" Martial Artist. There are no weight classes, we're all brothers/sister of fists, and racism has no place in the arts. He's changing/changed to the MMA format because that's what's in right now. A true martial artist could go into a cage and yield the same results in my opinion. My punching and kicking were slightly above good when I got there, they became better. I knew how to wrestle, but had no "ground game" outside of pounding, he gave me 4 or 5 good submissions. I used a lot of strength to take people down, he showed me an easier way to do it. I originally came looking for structure and humilty, but I left a more dangerous, brash, bloody thirsty fool. But I've since found my own way through various teachers, mental, and intense physical training. I also have fun doing Capoeira for face to face simulated combat. We can hurt people if we need to, but a true artist should strive for the level of mastery to subdue without critically injuring. You'll have to make the decision yourself about his class. I would not return to it though.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123