Registered Member

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Just saying that they at least respect the concept of a fair go. Compton, not so much.
    Well they have to have some framework or no one can place bets properly.

The part that starts at 5.30 of this video sums up how it can go

http://youtu.be/lB0_QEh-KVs

Style: 
    Trad Ju Jitsu

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Err... no.

They'll fight dirty with the rest of them if they can get away with it. I'm not going to fudge you with worthless anecdotes, but a recent documentary on C4 (Gypsy weddings) showed just such an "honourable" fight.

First thing the guy did was sucker punch his "to be" opponent while no one was looking, knocking him senseless, and then he proceeded to kick him all over the floor. They were separated, and the guy was given a "fair go", but he'd just had his fucking clock cleaned... so he didn't do too well obviously. Now if they'll do that to each other imagine what they'd do to you... because if you're not a traveller you are nothing.

Some of them are hard bastards to be sure, but like I said, don't believe all the hype. Most of them are one punch wonders, they'll try to sidewinder you out of nowhere.
    In the book on Bartley Gorman "King of the Gypsies", it was a constant that he would be challenged at inappropriate moments (like a funeral or when he'd had a few drinks) with the throwaway line "Is this for the title?".

He inherited it from another, who avoided him rather than face him, yet had behaved ferociously in Fights - yes, chewing off ears.

Lu Tze is correct here.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 5/04/2011 12:22pm at . Reason: typos

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 10:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't that ironic and I pegged you for hanging out at the RamRod. LOL

Style: 
    Trad Ju Jitsu

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 4:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post
    Isn't that ironic and I pegged you for hanging out at the RamRod. LOL
    I have absolutely no idea what this means. Translation would be nice.

Style: 
    Aikijujutsu

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A paddy friend told me how they dealt with them in Ireland, when they moved into a new town, the town, closed, everything, every shop, every pub, if you were local, you knew whose door to knock on to get stuff. The UK is a soft target in comparison.

It's not a case of a few bad apples either, every single one of them accepts that having no respect for people or property is how they survive, it's not like druggies doing crimes for a fix, it's their 'culture' to rob, steal and con, and violence is seen as an acceptable way to settle disputes.

Fucking scum.

pro nonsense self defense

Style: 
    FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Posted On:
    5/05/2011 6:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    D' ya like dags?

Style: 
    Trad Ju Jitsu

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    A paddy friend told me how they dealt with them in Ireland, when they moved into a new town, the town, closed, everything, every shop, every pub, if you were local, you knew whose door to knock on to get stuff. The UK is a soft target in comparison.

It's not a case of a few bad apples either, every single one of them accepts that having no respect for people or property is how they survive, it's not like druggies doing crimes for a fix, it's their 'culture' to rob, steal and con, and violence is seen as an acceptable way to settle disputes.

Fucking scum.
    OK, so I was on the train from Holyhead to Euston some years ago with my brother and his daughters. On the two table across the aisle, were a family of Irish Travellers. They were noisy and loud and had a very excitable chap who needed watching. In other words, I daren't got to sleep in case...

Now, you might think this an appalling interpretation on my part (I think Judoka UK would be might sceptical of my thinking) but I was fairly sure something might happen otherwise.

Anyway, this chap was called 'Kojak' by the family. No, I dunno. The youngest child had no name, she was 'baby sister'. It was quite a large group. I stayed awake and read my BRINKS Mat job book.

Time passed. They did not quieten down. Kojak was getting more excitable. Some hours in, he told the others that he intended to go to the Bar and get drunk on Whiskey and then go robbing. I knew then that I had been right to stay awake.

Shortly after, he got Brave, as I had suspected might also happen. He demanded to know what was so interesting that I was 'still reading that book and had done so since the train started'. I recognised the implicit challenge and responded sharply, "Mind your own Business". They all looked at me but said nothing. I was then left alone.

Not long before we arrived at Euston, they discussed their intentions. They had deliberately travelled over to throw themselves on the Council, who would supply them all with emergency accommodation in a hotel, likely in the Paddington area (they believed) so they could then enjoy themselves.

Yes, a paid holiday, after which they would return to Ireland, refreshed, reinvigorated. I have no idea if robbing or begging were also intended but it seemed one or the other was likely.

It's unfortunate that some aspects of their behaviour conformed to a certain stereotype.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 5/06/2011 11:53am at . Reason: typos

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 10:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what this means. Translation would be nice.
    That response was meant for Matt Phillips, I was being sarastic. The RamRod is a gay leather bar in Boston.

But for some reason the shitty and buggy interface did not include his quoted comments to me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 10:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post

Fucking scum.

Those foooking Tinkers who rob, steal and con, maybe London is a good place for them. Do your Irish friends mind being called paddy's ? I know them are fighting words in Boston.

Style: 
    Aikijujutsu

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 8:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD View Post
    Those foooking Tinkers who rob, steal and con, maybe London is a good place for them. Do your Irish friends mind being called paddy's ? I know them are fighting words in Boston.

Trouble is they aren't in London, they prefer more rural towns where there are car parks without height restrictions, and parks and fields they can pitch their caravans in. The filth they leave behind is quite astounding.

I don't think its quite so derogatory here to use the term, in fact he refers to himself as a paddy, so I guess it hasn't quite got the connotation it has in Boston. He also refers a lot to plastic paddys, which are fake irish, and the slur there is on the plastic, not the paddy.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast