Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 5:49am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dorking Judo

This is my Club so of course i've given it a good review.
    The club is fairly small with only about 12 regular seniors with lots of Dan grades and 1st Kyu's and the odd sprinkling of BJJ'ers.
    Everyone is very friendly and welcoming and its only £3 per lesson

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 6:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    could you elaborate a bit more? nice things to know would be:

1) who the instructors are, their dan ranks and any notable accomplishments of theirs

2) what a typical class is like

3) ratio of tachiwaza to newaza, about how much detailed instruction/drilling/randori per class and what percentage of class time each of them gets.

4) how competition oriented is the club? does it produce national or international competitors?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 7:19am

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "This is my Club so of course i've given it a good review".
    So the review is biased, AKA worthless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, seriously man, give us the reasons why the grappling instruction is an 8 (pressure tested, full range grappling, proven in top level, national or smaller international competiton/high level self defense situations).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 11:04am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Stuart,
    I too used to train at this club, when run by Richard and Jill Anderson
    is graham running it now or are richard and jill still there?(last I heard they were retiring.)

I disagree with the review a little as although the aliveness is ok and the atmosphere is good, the venue is not that good (low cieling section preventing some throws) and the instruction while competent and good in respect of student to instructor ratio it is not as good as other clubs that I have been to eg crawley. I found I learnt techniques at the crawley club much more quickly then at dorking.

I wish the club and all members well,

Take care

Nick
    Last edited by madmonkey; 10/19/2010 11:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 11:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    Hello Stuart,
    I too used to train at this club, when run by Richard and Jill Anderson
    is graham running it now or are richard and jill still there?(last I heard they were retiring.)

I disagree with the review a little as although the aliveness is ok and the atmosphere is good, the venue is not that good (low cieling section preventing some throws) and the instruction while competent and good in respect of student to instructor ratio it is not as good as other clubs that I have been to eg crawley. I found I learnt techniques at the crawley club much more quickly then at dorking.

I wish the club and all members well,

Take care

Nick

Hi Badmonkey aka Nick, Graeme (1st Kyu) or Peter (1st Dan) take most of the senior lessons but every couple of weeks Inez (2nd Dan) will also take charge. We also occasionally have guest instructors pay a visit like Pete Swettenham (4th Dan at Yamabushi and National Masters Champion. Currently a member of the GB Masters Judo Squad.)

I would say that the ratio of tachiwaza to newaza is about 50/50. Some lessons we really drill entries in to throws with a little randori and other lessons we focus more on randori.
    As all of the seniors are 30+ there isnít a huge focus on competitions however the club has had success with Inez winning the Silver medal at the Masters Commonwealth Games this year and on a much lower level three of the seniors, myself included, picked up a bronze at the first Newaza tournament held at High Wycombe in April.

I agree that the venue isnít ideal and some parts of the ceiling or low but we are still able to pull off all the throws on the green matted area.
    It is often said by the French and Japanese that the British donít know how to do Randori as in most clubs it ends up being Shiai. At Dorking we try to focus on doing Randori the right way and in the spirit of Judo, not compliant but certainly not fought like a competition.

Can I ask if you are still training Nick and where?

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 9:52am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi !
    Im from chilworth and will definately come and check the club out at some point (when back from South America) - or perhaps I already have - its not the one in the Rugby club is it ?
    I used to occasionally train at Reigate which was allright.
    P.S> how do you see the actuall ratings/numbers part of the review ? I can only see the posts....

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 4:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    Hello Stuart,
    the venue is not that good (low cieling section preventing some throws)
    How low is the ceiling/ what throws are you doing that brush the ceiling???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 5:23pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    How low is the ceiling/ what throws are you doing that brush the ceiling???
    Yeah good question !
    Can only very short people and gnomes do Uchi Matas ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 8:13pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they are still using the same venue which is brockham rugby club then there is a lower section of ceiling between two matted areas. It is above head height but if you throw someone with eg ippon seionagi you could catch their feet on it hence the club put red matting underneath this and do not use it, unfortunately this does limit the space a little, this it is a small criticism
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast