Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 4:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Uhmm no. The crap has been built up for years obviously before you were born. Especially, if you think Forbidden Kingdom or the new "Karate Kid" had anything to do with the crap.
    I definately agree that the crap has been around for much longer than that: centuries in fact. Instead of starting the thread with the comments I made about films, I should have simply posted what I was planning to post as a second post: the so called techniques described by the ancient Chinese monk Wu Toy San Ling Qung. Stupidly, I didn't start the thread by talking about the monks writings. The main point that I had actually intended to make in a follow up post (keeping in mind that I actually just meant to make fun of the so-called ancient Chinese technique of drawing your testicles inside your body in combat), was exactly along the lines of that the crap has been been around for years, as this monk existed in ancient China. I actually did mention this in my original post, but it was only briefly and seeing as I did such an unfortunately bad job of writing that first post, it is entirely understandable that this has been missed. I can post the information on Wu Toy San Ling Qung as I had planned if anyone is interested.

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 6:19am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be interested in seeing how sparring works in Tai chi, baji, Xingyi, some others. I know a few of our people here do CMA, I'd like to see how they address live training. What works and what gets thrown out the window. Particularly I'd like to see what separates them from 'kickboxing' (an umbrella term, I know), also I'd like to know if anyone actually uses tiger stance and all that.

No WC though. I fucking hate WC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 11:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarland View Post
    I definately agree that the crap has been around for much longer than that: centuries in fact. Instead of starting the thread with the comments I made about films, I should have simply posted what I was planning to post as a second post: the so called techniques described by the ancient Chinese monk Wu Toy San Ling Qung. Stupidly, I didn't start the thread by talking about the monks writings. The main point that I had actually intended to make in a follow up post (keeping in mind that I actually just meant to make fun of the so-called ancient Chinese technique of drawing your testicles inside your body in combat), was exactly along the lines of that the crap has been been around for years, as this monk existed in ancient China. I actually did mention this in my original post, but it was only briefly and seeing as I did such an unfortunately bad job of writing that first post, it is entirely understandable that this has been missed. I can post the information on Wu Toy San Ling Qung as I had planned if anyone is interested.
    Well here is a writing tip, if you have a specific topic in mind you can't introduce a subject about westerners and movies first. Even if you mention another topic it is overshadowed by your main subject.

Also, this monk needs to be sourced for people to take you seriously. Wu Toy San Ling Qung not only sounds made up, but has many myths rolled up into one story. Oh and original post means in the current thread not in another thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 1:34pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    What the hell is a Bo staff?

Answer: A) Donatello used one
    B) Dosen't exist
    C) A contrived buzz word martial arts movie enthusiasts use to sound legit in front of their fellow virgin and less informed friends.
    or D) Napoleon Dynamite's weapon of choice? (practically the same as C)

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 11:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book 'Kung Fu, History, Philosophy and Technique' (a book written by people who had contributed to the tv series 'Kung Fu'), 1977, states in one chapter, a list of so-called martial arts techniques that were originally written by an ancient monk, Wu Toy San Ling Qung. These 'techniques' range from killing people by pointing at them, to leaping out of seven-foot deep holes whilst wearing over ten pounds of weights, to sucking your testicles out of your scrotum and into your body at will. I can provide quotations as descriptions of these 'techniques' if anyone has an interest in spending several years concentrating chi into their balls (I'm sure there are some of you...)

When I made first made this thread, I did a search on Google to see whether the content I was planning to post on some of these ridiculous ancient Kung techniques was from any source other than the book that I found the information in: 'Kung Fu, History, Philosophy and Technique' By David Chow and Richard Spangler, 1977, ISBN 0865680116'. After it came up with links to several sites where people were discussing about actually learning this stuff, I stupidly assumed that they would have heard of these techniques from a different source to my own, as it is difficult to find too much information about this book on the internet and it was published so long ago (if you search for it, it will come up on Amazon and other book sites though, but without much of a description). I then went on to make this thread, hoping to see whether anyone might be interested in learning about how some of these 'powers' came to be considered attainable martial techniques by some as a result of certain ancient monk, Wu Toy San Ling Qung's writings.

It is Fake pointed out to me, quite correctly, that this monk would need to be sourced and as I attempted to find out more about this monk than what was written in 'Kung Fu, H,P,AT', I stumbled across my own Bullshido posts as 1 and 2 on Google for searching Wu Toy San Ling Qung, with no other information that I could find on this monk (if he indeed existed). After then searching as I had originally done for the Kung techniques present in 'Kung Fu, H, P, AT', I then found that this very same book was mentioned as a source for where many of these people learned of these techniques and decided that they wanted to master them. One particular person mentioned wanting to master Hing Kung (walking so lightly that even grass blades don't move, a technique that apparently takes ten years to learn = BS) on http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...p/t-19235.html and referred to this book. Another person wishing to learn the Red Sand Palm (killing or maiming someone by striking at the air from a distance) [http://www.wle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=233] was referred to a book called 'Shaolin Long Fist', but from searching this on Amazon, I found that this book had been published only a few years after 'Kung Fu, H, P, AT'.

According to 'Kung Fu, H, P, AT', in translating the techniques for the first time (they claim) that they have relied heavily on “an ancient shaolin text written by an obscure monk scribe, Wu Toy San Ling Qung, who revealed the dynamics of Kung Fu in the Treasured Secret Book”. I cannot find any information on this ‘Treasured Secret Book’ either. I had originally planned simply to make fun of the ridiculousness of training in some of these techniques (some of the most crazy of which some people on the internet actually seem to want to train in), but if they were simply made up by two martial artist authors in a 1977 book that was published in response to a TV show, and not an actual part of CMA history, then there is not much point. I am sure that there are ridiculous so-called training methods that ancient shaolin monks would spout about, but I failing the fact that this Wu Toy San Ling Qung does not appear to exist outside of this book, I would particularily like to hear from anyone who has sources for these techniques which predate this book. It would be interesting at least if it turns out that all of these people who wish to train in these ‘ancient’ techniques had been conned by the same book, but people have been conned by books spouting stupidness before, so this would not be anything new. It seems that in my hurry, I have been conned myself, not into believing that these techniques were real, but into believing that they may have had a genuine source.

Has anyone else read this book before, or even better, has anyone actually heard of the sourced monk in the book: Wu Toy San Ling Qung (the name sounds like BS)? I'd love to hear from anyone who has any evidence that the section on Kung in 'Kung Fu, H, P, AT' is anything other than fraudulent information quoting an ancient monk who never existed (I know that the techniques described are BS, but I would like to know if the source is too)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 1:11pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time a movie fight goes longer than thirty seconds I inevitably end up daydreaming.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 1:41pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stray_bullet View Post
    Every time a movie fight goes longer than thirty seconds I inevitably end up daydreaming.
    I'm the same, but only for more modern "realistic" fight scenes.

For some reason the old Kung Fu theatre ones where the dapper chopstick-wielding Master beats up 3 or 4 guys without spilling his tea keep my attention.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it perfectly obvious that Westerners weren't the only one who brought BS to kung fu?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 4:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys must hate every non-superhero action movie but The Dark Night.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing how sparring works in Tai chi, baji, Xingyi, some others. I know a few of our people here do CMA, I'd like to see how they address live training. What works and what gets thrown out the window. Particularly I'd like to see what separates them from 'kickboxing' (an umbrella term, I know), also I'd like to know if anyone actually uses tiger stance and all that.

No WC though. I fucking hate WC.
    There's a whole thread of sparring videos from different CMAs in the CMA subforum.

The immediately obvious difference is that most of them are sparring under San Shou or San Shou like rules where throws and other takedowns are common.

People don't generally use any of the deep classical stances. They are for stretching and/or strengthening the legs and back.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast