Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:23pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I want the arms of a ken doll!

I did stronglifts for nearly a year but had to stop this passed fall semester of school due to my shitty schedule. In the mean time I took up a strength geared bodyweight routine involving one legged squats, hand stand push ups, pull ups, bodyweight rows, ab wheel, and a few others. Now my school schedule is slowing down some for the summer and i'd like to pick up stronglifts or something similar again.

Here's where my ego comes in. Before stronglifts I was doing an ill conceived bodybuilding routine i'd put together from reading books and advice from "gym guys". I managed to put on some weight and looked pretty good. Then I switched to stonglifts 5x5 and made some significant strength gains and developed my legs quite a bit for the first time.My martial arts buddies noticed my strength was improving and my gym buddies said I looked smaller which I noticed as well. I personally don't care if i'm big or not, well kind of.

What I want is a strength routine similiar to stronglifts but i'd like to add a little arm work for the sole reason of vanity with the possible benefit of added arm strength. Yes, i've read all of stronglifts and I know they say the bench and blah blah blah is all you need for arms. I've decided I want stronger bigger arms so **** stronglifts i'm gonna work my arms some dammit!

Pavel has some great recommendations for arm exercises and he's the man. He also says the bench is great for arms but he does give some good arm specific advice. My problem is that Pavel is a little advanced for me and i'm not sure how to fit his arm training recomendations into an entire routine.

Does anyone have any QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED advice on adding some arm greared toward strength work into a whole body strength routine? What I don't want is people giving me advice they think will work but haven't tried or experienced. I also don't want people to tell me to forget arms altogether. There's gotta be a way to work strength and develop my arms a little more.
    Last edited by jnp; 5/01/2011 9:41pm at . Reason: title edited at user's request

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 6:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    The reviews sound promising, I might check this one out.

Edit: I'm surprised no one has called me out on my dumbass spelling of "Wan't" in the thread title, not sure what happened there. Mods fix plz so I don't look stoopid in front of the class.

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 1:49am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's late, and this isn't my forte, but in this article there's a good framework for a bodybuilding split using Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...s_volume_eight

I really dislike some of the exercise choices and I think it's severely lacking in any sort of prehab movements (though that's a personal bias). I do however think it's probably a decent compromise because you still get in some very heavy lifting while also doing a lot of volume.

The other potential alternative would be to looking at losing some fat, which will of course make you look more "cut".

I haven't done this program, nor do I know anyone who has. When Jim Wendler talks about getting people bigger and stronger, people tend to listen.

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    It's late, and this isn't my forte, but in this article there's a good framework for a bodybuilding split using Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...s_volume_eight

I really dislike some of the exercise choices and I think it's severely lacking in any sort of prehab movements (though that's a personal bias). I do however think it's probably a decent compromise because you still get in some very heavy lifting while also doing a lot of volume.

The other potential alternative would be to looking at losing some fat, which will of course make you look more "cut".

I haven't done this program, nor do I know anyone who has. When Jim Wendler talks about getting people bigger and stronger, people tend to listen.
    I'll look into the program. As far as loosing fat goes, I'm lean as it is at 5'10" 165 if anything I want to get fatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx View Post
    my advice, always take the stairs and bag your own groceries.
    Um, okay. Thx.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 10:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was using the Bill Starr 5x5 program, and it includes a couple sets of bicep/tricep work a week. That's probably all you need.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

You probably could stick to the stronglifts and add some arm work once a week, or so, just don't go nuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 11:59pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one of the routines i give my clients (as well as the one i'm doing myself right now is the following):

standing military press (2 sets of 8)
    deadlift (2 sets of 8)
    seated arnold press (2 sets of 8)
    bent over bb rows (2 sets of 8)

incline machine press (2 sets of 8)
    flat bench dumbell bench (2 sets of 8)

standing alternating DB curls (2 sets of 10)
    skull crushers (2 sets of 10)
    preacher curl plate loaded machine (2 sets of 10)
    french curl (2 sets of 10)

pullups (2 sets of 20)
    pushups (2 sets of 20 first feet up second normal)
    chinups (2 sets of 20)
    dips (2 sets of 20)

"BUT WHERE ARE DA LEGS YO!?"

I'm recovering from some major knee issues atm, deadlifts are about the closest thing to leg work i can do atm with weights, plus i do tons of squat thrusts, lunges, and started doing pistols again last week, and get a ton of work in my mma conditioning classes for my legs, so shut up :)

I've lifted in some form for the past 8 years, done basically any and all types of routines you can think of for any reason you can think of, went on a calisthenics bender where i was literally doing 500+ reps a day of various things, etc etc.

I do this routine 2 times a week, the 3rd day i lift, i add a 3rd set to everything except the seated arnold presses, incline machine press and the preacher and french curls.

I do a specific method of increasing weight where after i'm comfortable with the weight i'm using and can make it through an entire week of all 3 days using that weight for all sets each day, i do the following:

the first set of w/e lift, i take the first 2 (or 3 if it's a set of 10) reps of that set and increase them to the new weight i want to lift. The next time i do the first 4 (or half) the set with the new weight, etc etc until i get a full set of that new weight done. Then i proceed to the 2nd set and do the same, this usually takes 3-4 weeks depending on how i feel), usually when i have a 3rd set to do, once i'm comfortable i'll do the first entire set with that new weight then work on the 2nd two sets.

Anyways sorry if that's complicated. My arms are da hoouge, i'm extremely fast for my size and very explosive, i'm bigger than most people you're going to talk to here, so take my advice however you will :) Hope some of that helps.

Mind you i also do kettle bells 2-3 times a week, an extremely intense mma conditioning class, extremely hard bag work 1-2 times per week, plus do boxing and shotokan on my own time at home, as well as i've been working on hitting 100 bodyweight pulls and pushes of some sort at least every other day (minimum 300 a week) so your results may vary lol.

Oh, and when i got back into lifting after some horrible injuries (that i'm still fighting) i started with the 5x5 program mentioned above, then tailored it to my own needs, so if you're really having trouble, give that one a shot for a while, it got my deadlift and squat (at the time) back up from just the bar to massive amounts :)
    Last edited by proteinshakez; 5/03/2011 12:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 10:27pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so apparently my post was so mega awesome that no one felt the need to add anything else?

*walks away with an undeserved sense of awesomeness*