Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 6:45pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    Busting your balls, Alpha Troll. But serious, no vids? It's a damn shame, would have been cool to see.

How long did it take to work up to that?
    Squats? 4 years. Bench Press? 8 years Deadlift? 10years Clean? 6 Years.

On a side note, me doing squats and deadlifts all those years is the reason I have a hard time getting the triangle.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Squats? 4 years. Bench Press? 8 years Deadlift? 10years Clean? 6 Years.

On a side note, me doing squats and deadlifts all those years is the reason I have a hard time getting the triangle.
    So squats and deadlifts permanently and negatively affect your flexibility in BJJ? No amount of stretching will counter it?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 11:45am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    So squats and deadlifts permanently and negatively affect your flexibility in BJJ? No amount of stretching will counter it?
    You should be dropped on your head.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 12:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gonna guess that having legs the size of tree trunks makes it more difficult to get the triangle locked up. Especially against guys in his weightclass that tend to have thick shoulders and necks. I bet once that **** is locked though you don't even have time to tap, just lights out from the insane pressure.
    Last edited by Kintanon; 5/03/2011 12:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 12:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some vids somewhere, but you really wanna see a short fat guy squatting? Is this a new fetish? jk

I've been doing some kind of lifting for over 30 years, semi-serious for the last couple of decades. I was going to compete, until every joint starting giving out on me... I still like lifting, and am lifting near what I was lifting at my strongest, again.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I'm gonna guess that having legs the size of tree trunks makes it more difficult to get the triangle locked up. Especially against guys in his weightclass that tend to have thick shoulders and necks. I bet once that **** is locked though you don't even have time to tape, just lights out from the insane pressure.
    I thought that might have something to do with it. I don't take BJJ obviously, but planning to soon. Are there any other negatives to having big legs, doing squats and deadlifts? Are there any positives besides stronger legs?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 12:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not really a negative to have bigger stronger legs, and proper squats improve your flexibility, not hinder it. It just means you adjust your technique to work with the attributes you have. Just like being SUPER flexible lets you cheat some stuff, but can be a drawback in other places the same is true for being super strong in certain areas. It's a matter of adjusting to your attributes.
    Bottom line though is that you aren't going to get big enough ON ACCIDENT for it to affect your jiujitsu. Unless you are intentionally lifting with an eye towards competitive power lifting (Which Omega was) you won't put on that kind of size. Doing 5x5 or Starting Strength or something like that will NOT blow you up like Mr. Universe or give you legs like Marius Pudzianowski.

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 5:57pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that might have something to do with it. I don't take BJJ obviously, but planning to soon. Are there any other negatives to having big legs, doing squats and deadlifts? Are there any positives besides stronger legs?
    There are almost no disadvantages to being bigger and stronger than your opponent. When is small and weak good? Although, yes, big hamstrings will make triangles more difficult (they're very hard for me to do). But they sure give you one hell of a bridge and the ability to explode out of triangles ...

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    You should be dropped on your head.
    Out of curiosity, how big are your thighs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 8:53pm

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, how big are your thighs?
    Does somebody have a crush?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast