Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 9:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really appreciate the warm up I do in my Judo class, it seems to be a common format in UK Judo:

2 x jog round the mat
    1 x round facing in (some doing foot sweep motions)
    1X round facing out (some doing foot sweep motions)
    stop and stretch neck, shoulders, back, hips, quads, groin and calves
    couple of sets of a grappling specific drill (compass turns, sit throughs, stomach spin outs, ets.)
    60 push-ups
    60 sit-ups
    ukemi
    techniques (often starting with uchikomi around the mat)

If we do any cardio work we do it through uchi komi at the start of the lesson and sometimes through doing newazza randori, it's a simple workout, easy to remember and takes maybe ten minutes all told.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We shrimp and do armbars from mount and guard for warm up. Then we get into it.

It is expected that you will take care of conditioning and strength training outside of class times. If you don't you will likely get spanked on the mat anyway.

Honestly I pay good money to learn bjj. Teach me techniques and how to apply them. Let's not turn bjj into a traditional chinese martial art where you sit in low horse building chi for 50% of the class time.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 12:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 6:25am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've jumped straight into class after running late and seeing everyone out there sparring, and it's never turned out well.
    I make a point now that at the least, I will do a warmup jog, maybe some skipping, warm ups for my hips, knees, shoulders and neck before joining the class. I make up for the time by having a body that will actually respond to me without falling apart.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 8:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    We shrimp and do armbars from mount and guard for warm up. Then we get into it.

It is expected that you will take care of conditioning and strength training outside of class times. If you don't you will likely get spanked on the mat anyway.

Honestly I pay good money to learn bjj. Teach me techniques and how to apply them. Let's not turn bjj into a traditional chinese martial art where you sit in low horse building chi for 50% of the class time.
    That about what my KK sensei said, "Run and do situps on your own, we don't have time to spend on it." The pacing of sweaty warmups followed by slow drills followed by sweaty rolling is exactly the pattern in BJJ in Logan. The Kempo school I attend on O'ahu does shrimping and partner'd guard, side, full reversals down the floor for warmups. Similar it sounds to Southpaw and Omega's class, but in this case everyone does it, I think they feel getting proper technique is less important than getting sweaty and used to moving on the ground. I hate wasting time on **** like jumping jacks and even worse, static stretches. The class here in Utah wastes time with a trad kaju mix of conditioning and stretching - I've made excuses for years and gone to the back of class and done my own thing (slowly increasing speed doing punches and kicks! What an idea!) in this school and others. Couldn't get away with that in Hawaii, but there the warmups make sense.

It comes down to trying to use sense and science and timing in workouts. So much (like fucking jumping jacks) are idiotic traditional exercises that just keep being passed down, year after year.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 9:57am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BJJ school I train at has a very strict ruleset regarding warm-ups. Miss warm-ups and you cannot participate in the rest of class.

The best one I have heard, "I cannot warm-up or do the technique prtion due to injuries, but I can roll and help the other newbs. I have been training 6 months." A whole six months and they are an expert already.

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 10:07am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes BJJ class size determines the warm up. A big class with lots of new or newish guys has a much more intense feel than when there are only a few regulars. A light warm up, with some light fluid transitional rolling, is only possible in the second instance.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234