Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 1:16pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Maybe its just me but grappling seems like something that you either do well or don't do at all. I went to an MMA gym's free trials for a few days and never came back because **** was FUCKING COMPLICATED.

We were being taught the basics of defending ones self in a grappling situation. It started with how to deal with a clinch, keep arms on the inside and control the elbows so you can strike and open up for a judo throw(there was alot more but I couldn't keep up). Than we moved on to defending ones self when you're on your back which was all about using your legs to resist the person trying to walk closer to and sit on your chest. It also included pushing away using the opponent with a "bully shove", different guards, shrimping from side control, and ****.

I took NOTHING away from that experience. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
    Conversation with my BJJ Instructor:

Me: "Yeah, I've been to a few months of classes and I haven't mastered anything."

Instructor: "It takes a lifetime of training and you still probably won't master anything. Look at me, I've been doing this for years and I still don't consider myself a master."

He then proceeded to effortlessly fold me in half like a lawn chair before choking the **** out of me.

Lesson: Don't expect to see results too soon. Give it a minimum of 6 months of constant practice before you even see the very beginning of results.

Most people don't want to face the fact that it takes hundreds of hours of practice to become proficient at something.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 1:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grow up. What is it with this rash of all or nothing posters of late? If you are having a bad stretch, but not learning, it is either you or your environment. If everyone else in class is progressing then it isn't the environment.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe its just me but grappling seems like something that you either do well or don't do at all. I went to an MMA gym's free trials for a few days and never came back because **** was FUCKING COMPLICATED....

I took NOTHING away from that experience. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
    Knowing you suck at something is a lesson all by itself, and is often learned through hard knocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 10:47pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Knowing you suck at something is a lesson all by itself, and is often learned through hard knocks.
    Okay, okay, I sucked at it. The point being is that there is no payoff at the start. For a serious buisiness hobbyist, having no initial payoff sucks. You can't get into training if you can't even see even a slight hint of improvement(even if its there, if you can't see it, its not very motivating).

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 10:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, okay, I sucked at it. The point being is that there is no payoff at the start. For a serious buisiness hobbyist, having no initial payoff sucks. You can't get into training if you can't even see even a slight hint of improvement(even if its there, if you can't see it, its not very motivating).
    To you. (due to the sucking)

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 3:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole idea of "I'm gonna fight several times a week in order to have an advantage just in case a fight comes up" is really pretty stupid at face value,
    especially when you first sign up and everyone is better than you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 12:00pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First day that I started training in boxing I realized 99.9% of the world is filled with 1 handed fighters, those using their dominant hand. Most people don't know WTF to do with their other hand. I learned the Jab. Oh, so that's what you do with it? No, wait there's more you can do with your weaker hand? What is this combination that you speak of? Well, look at that.

My eyes open!

Against an untrained jackass, a boxer with 3 months of good training will dismantle said jackass with impunity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 1:03pm

Style: BJJ, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training of any kind can be valuable if the person involved takes the right aspects from it. They will not be able to preform on a technical level, but if they have been sparring or rolling in an active fashion they will have picked up a few skills that can help win or disengage vs a brawler.

They should be more aware of their body and the options they have in the confines of their conflict. That little bit of extra awareness can keep them off of their back or out of a corner. Also they should have a bit of a cooler head as it is not the first time they have been pressured and should be able to gather their wits and mount some kind of a defense.

But if the new MAist thinks he is a weapon after 3 months and tries to flying arm bar the Tapout Tommy who just shot stink eye at him across the bar then all bets are off, and he has just jumped into the deep end of the pool. A little training can get you in trouble if you don't have enough sense to to understand your lack of skillz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 2:32pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to it being different for everyone before they start to understand a few basics (which people have already covered in good detail), there isn't a "bar" for self-defense. You can't train for self-defense because its an elusive target; there are so many factors in any given confrontation that you can't say you are "self-defense ready."

Throughout the years, I have seen people who could never beat me in a fight, no matter how hard they trained. I have also seen people I could never beat no matter how hard I trained. Sometimes it has been because of size (I am 6' tall with an average build), sometimes because of different levels of tenacity, sometimes pure strength, etc. There isn't exactly consistency even when discussing "untrained" people, so setting a bar for self-defense is completely arbitrary and unrealistic.

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd agree with you if you weren't talking about training over the span of "a few days". Talk about wildly unrealistic. Maybe 3 days of straight boxing, karate, bjj, or something, would let you see a little improvement, but you're also splitting your (totally insignificant) amount of mat time between punching, kicking, takedowns, and groundwork.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast