Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 1:25am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichearse View Post

But the after 3 months of Muay Thai I could punch, teep, roundhouse, had a very rudimentary understanding of clinching and had sparred once or twice a week. "What if's" abound, but I think that 3 months of striking makes a big difference.
    A friend of mine has a saying which i find to be true every time i fight or see an amateur competition:

"How good were you 12 months ago? Adrenaline and fight nerves will take your skills back to that point, so if you have only been training for 6 months... good luck."

I think 3 months training in anything would be insufficient to overcome natural advantages like size, agression, or numbers, and most people who start fights have these three in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    This seems to happen a lot.

I don’t think of myself as a skilled fighter (my considerable limitations are forcibly demonstrated to me several times a week), but I think I have fewer irrational fears and insecurities than I did before I started practicing martial arts.
    So very true, training martial arts for self defence is irrational. To use a bad analogy; its like doing a medicinal degree purely so you know how to react should a snake bite you. Instead of just avoiding areas snakes like to hang out or carrying a phone on you and knowing how to use it (calling emergency services).
    Last edited by Sang; 4/29/2011 1:55am at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 2:13am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn from Geoff Thompson Fu! What a pimp.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 2:51am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichearse View Post
    I've never been in a street fight. But, I would imagine that regardless of training, sometimes windmills of drunken haymakers land.
    They rarely hit on mark. Most miss and the few that might hit you are very telegraphed. Speaking from personal experience, unless you get mounted by a bigger dude or stomped on, very few people have the skill to actually knock you out. Its all a matter of keeping cool and having good defense(basically turtling up). They'll gas out in less than a minute but defending yourself till then is easier said than done. You're better off running away from the get-go rather than waiting for them to tucker out. You get nothing if you win, anyway. Zilch. Nada.

Also, your fists aren't as reliable as you might think. Throw a few punches that hit the hard parts of the head with bad form(the pinkie ang ring finger knuckle hitting instead of the two big knuckles) and your fists will be mangled to the point that punching actually causes YOU more damage so you better hope that they're knocked out before your fists give in.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second StepinCross. Open hand strikes are better coz they dont cause metacarpal compressions like punches. Though in my sparring sessions i use full-force punches to the body (without any wrappings) without any noticeable damage. For face, palms are the way 2 go..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 5:27am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
    I second StepinCross. Open hand strikes are better coz they dont cause metacarpal compressions like punches. Though in my sparring sessions i use full-force punches to the body (without any wrappings) without any noticeable damage. For face, palms are the way 2 go..
    I never said anything about open palm hand strikes. Don't put words into my mouth.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 5:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    I never said anything about open palm hand strikes. Don't put words into my mouth.

Also, your fists aren't as reliable as you might think. Throw a few punches that hit the hard parts of the head with bad form(the pinkie ang ring finger knuckle hitting instead of the two big knuckles) and your fists will be mangled to the point that punching actually causes YOU more damage so you better hope that they're knocked out before your fists give in.

this is wat i seconded, rest is ma addition..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 6:23am

Style: BJJ, MT, MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are too many variables, every person will retain training different both physically and mentally. For someone in / just out of high school (hell even older) that's never been in a fight three months seems like enough time to be trying to think about your training rather than reacting.

I had my share of fights growing up, win and lose, but I'm slower, softer and have jack for cardio comparatively. I didn't get fat and old, just old, but I sure as hell can't fight like I could in my twenties. Of course I wrestled and ran track in junior high and high school too, but after almost 20 years I can't do that anymore either....

Three months is beneficial for cardio and getting your body used to moving and any contact sparring will help, but going up against someone who is used to street / bar fighting will still leave you with a beat down in most cases. Full contact sparring and rolling is way too different from fighting someone that wants to take your head off. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using O Soto Gari on da st33ts yet and we drilled it in class again Wednesday.

Almost forgot to ask: Are we talking three months training with the added badass bonus of wearing a tapout hoodie? We all know that will keep you from getting whupped.
    Last edited by toyamabarnard; 4/29/2011 6:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 6:57am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'd be able to take care of yourself much better on the ground after 3 months of BJJ than you would after 3 months of MT (against an opponent with similar physical attributes). Shrimp from guard to sweep for mount alone would tip the balance and is simply not the type of thing any untrained person would have any experience in. From a self defense point of view though... that's not going to help you very much against possible multiple attackers stomping on you or lava and AIDS needles etc.
    I can't remember back to how much I learned in my first 3 months of MT but there was probably more technique and pad work than sparring involved. In my own experience on the d34dly str33ts its full on sparring experience that stands to you when the red mist descends and the adrenaline dump kicks in. I've never had to crapple on a pavement but I can only assume the full on nature of BJJ rolling would give a significant advantage (from the very first day I was rolling against white stripes, blue and purple belts).
    The point being, the ground techniques are simply not natural responses as opposed to stand up which involves flailing limbs - anyone can flail their limbs, opponents included and the chances of a wild haymaker or nut shot connecting are pretty high either way.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:01am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from the very first day I was rolling against the white stripes

??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:10am

Style: BAWXIN'

--