Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 5:27pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Well, osoto gari isn't a sweep. I meant Judo footsweeps because he was talking about Jiu-jitsu and Judo in that sentence.

An 18 year-old kid at my Judo club who hadn't been training longer than a few months DID successfully defend himself from a serious (meaning not a school fight) attack with an osoto. That technique has pretty high self-ownage potential too though, so I honestly don't know if that's a reliable outcome to expect from a 3 month student. I suppose it has a better chance of working than most stuff after 3 mos. though...
    I asked because I had a similar experience with osoto gari and it being an effective self defense technique with only a few months.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 5:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Sanda noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 3 months of hung gar probably would done me a disservice if I ever got into a fight.

But the after 3 months of Muay Thai I could punch, teep, roundhouse, had a very rudimentary understanding of clinching and had sparred once or twice a week. "What if's" abound, but I think that 3 months of striking makes a big difference.

Also, the more I trained the less I cared about "the streets".

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 5:37pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichearse View Post
    Also, the more I trained the less I cared about "the streets".
    This seems to happen a lot.

I don’t think of myself as a skilled fighter (my considerable limitations are forcibly demonstrated to me several times a week), but I think I have fewer irrational fears and insecurities than I did before I started practicing martial arts.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    This seems to happen a lot.

I don’t think of myself as a skilled fighter (my considerable limitations are forcibly demonstrated to me several times a week), but I think I have fewer irrational fears and insecurities than I did before I started practicing martial arts.
    I train MA for self-defense, fun, and fitness but have barely given a thought to the whole "deadly streets" aspect in a while.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 8:38pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even in a third-world country, getting into a fist fight when you're out of high-school isn't very common. AND when it does happen, you can easily talk your way out of it or run away if they're too drunk to reason with.

If you want a reliable method of self-defense that isn't perishable, try "being observant-fu" and "politeness-chun." Thats pretty much all there is to it. There is always ample warning that shits gonna go down. The tense staredowns and posturing is pretty easy to notice and gives enough time for you to get the **** out of there.

On the other hand if you're getting ganged up on by people with a grudge, you've already failed both "observant-fu" and "politeness-chun" and chances are you did something for them to exact disproportionate revenge.

*Granted, I shouldn't really be talking about being as cautious as possible as I'm the type of person that gets into easily avoided fights.*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 8:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Even in a third-world country, getting into a fist fight when you're out of high-school isn't very common. AND when it does happen, you can easily talk your way out of it or run away if they're too drunk to reason with.

If you want a reliable method of self-defense that isn't perishable, try "being observant-fu" and "politeness-chun." Thats pretty much all there is to it. There is always ample warning that shits gonna go down. The tense staredowns and posturing is pretty easy to notice and gives enough time for you to get the **** out of there.

On the other hand if you're getting ganged up on by people with a grudge, you've already failed both "observant-fu" and "politeness-chun" and chances are you did something for them to exact disproportionate revenge.

*Granted, I shouldn't really be talking about being as cautious as possible as I'm the type of person that gets into easily avoided fights.*
    I notice from the fu and chun suffixes that these are both Chinese arts. where is the wise bearded master I may learn these from.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Sanda noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been in a street fight. But, I would imagine that regardless of training, sometimes windmills of drunken haymakers land. I think I have a fear that if I ever got into a street fight I would go for a kick and my other foot would slip. Or stand squared off and get kicked in the balls.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmichearse View Post
    I've never been in a street fight. But, I would imagine that regardless of training, sometimes windmills of drunken haymakers land. I think I have a fear that if I ever got into a street fight I would go for a kick and my other foot would slip. Or stand squared off and get kicked in the balls.
    Teep to the dick against the drunken haymaker. If done right, no one defend.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    Teep to the dick against the drunken haymaker. If done right, no one defend.
    Nope, kick to the balls. Kicks to the dick hurt, but a kick to the balls is 100 times worse. teep kicks are straight in, a groin kick should be thrown upward. Subtle difference, but it does make a difference.

Before anyone gives me the D3adly Str33ts bullshit, I'm speaking from 20 years of sparring and occasionally being kicked low.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we really need to consider the baseline from where training starts as the most important factor here. If we are talking about a very fit lifelong athlete who starts training in Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kyokushin, or anything that has hard and realistic training; well then they are going to start kicking ass pretty darn quickly. I think 3 months would be realistic for a fit athletic person to get reasonably proficient.

But if we are talking about the "average" person who is typically rather fat and likely never been involved in any sort of athletics? In that case it is going to take them YEARS to get reasonably proficient in realisitic self-defense in most cases.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast