Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:32pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 94m View Post
    I'll have a pretty good guard game, I've am pretty new and have only been training no gi for 9 months.
    You may (very possibly indeed) be vastly more talented than I am, yet I find it difficult to believe that your guard game is really much good after training for less than a year.

But using eddies **** let me get an upper hand on some people, and I don't think his ideologies should be completely discarded....
    Do you think that Eddie Bravo came up with, and started using, all the rubber guard/lockdown/jet-powered stealth ornithopter **** before, or after, he learned how to reliably shrimp out and recover guard from under side control (and/or some other conventional escapes)?

Do you think that it makes more sense to master solid basics (that will surprise no one but have a proven track record in spite of being familiar) or to gain modest competence with unusual gimmicks that will work against people who haven’t seen them before, but which by the same token you will never be forced to develop to the same level? Keep in mind that if you use move X to catch people by surprise, you may ‘win’ a bunch of rolls, but you won’t learn to apply it to people who know what you’re doing.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 9:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also am speaking as someone that owns both Mastering the Rubber Guard and JJ unleased. I went through a rubberguard/lockdown/electric chair phase. I still use a few pieces of 10th planet stuff that mix well with the rest of my game, but BEFORE you can pick those pieces out you REALLY need to develop a game made out of solid basics that will later support your 10th planet tools.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, I agree with you guys that basics are very important, to be honest, I utilize eddies half guard game, and his mission control, besides that I don't use much of his other stuff. I do really appreciate how he sytematically breaks down bjj though. instead of doing "this" and "that" at least he put a label to some things and that's what I really like about him.

Although, in the book he does say the same thing most of you guys have. Master the basics.
    I'm off to practice thanks for the help. If you guys think I should get another type of book that's on no-gi basics I'll go buy it later tonight. I heard the gracies have some DVD, but I'm to lazy to look for what I'm thinking about lol.

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 10:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registeredCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 1:18am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This should be your mantra:

Quote Originally Posted by 94m
    Frame.
    Move myself.
    Frame.
    Move myself.
    Frames maintain existing distance, they don't create it (don't try to push or bench press the guy). Move yourself and frame to keep that space. Rinse, repeat.

He is passing your (whatever guard variation you are in)? Frame, move yourself, frame, ... until you regain or escape.

He is on top of you in (whatever poor position you are in)? Frame, move yourself, frame, ... until you escape.

If you don't have those 2 things down, everything else will fall apart in the long run.
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 5/03/2011 1:23am at .

Ninja Fruit

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 12:00pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    You bought "Mastering the Rubber Guard" and don't have the fundamental technique base to use the material. Don't play any of that **** unless you have a solid closed guard, solid open guard, and are confident in your ability to escape from bad positions.
    Kin nailed it. I am built exactly like you - 6'1 173lb. Use what you have man - I have long, strong legs, so I tend toward closed guard as my base and sweeps sweeps sweeps.

PS - watch Eddie Bravo's competition grappling videos. You will notice how very little of his Rubber Guard is actually utilized by him. This speaks volumes.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12