Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tall mans guard

I'm 6'1 and 170, grappling question no gi. My coach is 245 pounds and 5'6, he can always pass me while I am in the pyramid, halfguard or rubber guard. When I am put into side control I feel as if there is nothing I can do, I can't even hook his closest leg and shrimp my way in. Or when I get the lockdown my double underhooks (if I even get them) are always in vain. wtf can I do, my halfguard game almost means nothing now.

TL;DR Me(tall) vs short big guy, need tips.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:34am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe try upside down guard, or x-guard or deep half guard. Maybe 50/50, because then at least its equal right?

then if all that doesn't work, try closed guard and work on your fucking basics such as escaping side control.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 2:00am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    This a pure BJJ question, sub grap, or mma oriented?
    BJJ: Ask your coach
    Sub Grap: High guard, nice and tight. When under side control, try to get a bodylock and get on top of him, wrestle out.
    MMA: Do both of the above.
    REAL solid advice there slick. :IamDisappointed:

How about work on closed guard or Feet on hips with an over hook? You're also going against your coach so duh you're not going to be very effective. In side control don't let him control your head, block the crossface by framing against his biceps.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 3:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you're thinking of is this.

Underhook, bridge, come to your knees, initiate single leg or whatever.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's shown me quite a few escapes, although the only thing I have a chance of doing is getting to butterfly from side control. He's a large bulky guy, and can distribute his weight very evenly making a sweep really hard. Shrimping in is the only thing I get away with. Anyone whos my size, I have no trouble at all sweeping or getting out. But when soemone is short and big like that I feel as if it neutralizes half of the moves you can do to escape.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    Yeah, that's about it. Not training in a grappling gym, I call it *GTFO from being pinned*, instead of *list of techniques*. So, to a question of *what technique do I use?*, I pretty much said "grab him and sweep."

Just asking, at 2:55, why doesn't he lock his hands? Is it for more fluid transitions, or because he wants the back instead of wrestling for mount or something?
    Locking up your hands makes it more difficult to get to your knees, but yeah the whole grab his body and try to roll him works only if you're bigger and they aren't as skilled.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 9:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 94m View Post
    I'm 6'1 and 170, grappling question no gi. My coach is 245 pounds and 5'6, he can always pass me while I am in the pyramid, halfguard or rubber guard. When I am put into side control I feel as if there is nothing I can do, I can't even hook his closest leg and shrimp my way in. Or when I get the lockdown my double underhooks (if I even get them) are always in vain. wtf can I do, my halfguard game almost means nothing now.

TL;DR Me(tall) vs short big guy, need tips.
    I have highlighted your problems. You bought "Mastering the Rubber Guard" and don't have the fundamental technique base to use the material. Don't play any of that **** unless you have a solid closed guard, solid open guard, and are confident in your ability to escape from bad positions.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 11:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I have highlighted your problems. You bought "Mastering the Rubber Guard" and don't have the fundamental technique base to use the material. Don't play any of that **** unless you have a solid closed guard, solid open guard, and are confident in your ability to escape from bad positions.
    I'm nicer, I didn't want to crush his meat hook crack whore control pipe dreams.
    OP he's right put the book down and work on overhooks, two on one, wrist control etc. Every new jiu jitsu guy goes through an Eddie Bravo phase I swear.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today I'm going to try the jailbreak. I'll post results.

My coach is probably scoping me out to see what I will do, probably wants me to be innovative. To be honest, I really have no idea what his intentions are though.

I'll have a pretty good guard game, I've am pretty new and have only been training no gi for 9 months. But using eddies **** let me get an upper hand on some people, and I don't think his ideologies should be completely discarded....
    Last edited by 94m; 4/29/2011 5:08pm at .

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 5:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...sigh.... It's gotta be like the chicken pox you've just gotta go through it when you're inexperienced.

Get on your side, block the crossface, shrimp out. Stop trying to be "innovative".

Trust me in a box in my closet is Mastering the Rubber guard and Jiu Jitsu Unleashed, I remember what it is like to be new. I'm trying to save you precious mat time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast