Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 7:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: knife throwing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combatives

I'm looking for reliable information on martial arts that would be used in combat, on the streets, etc. Everything from non-lethal subduing moves to the simple, lethal **** they do in the military.

I've got Jigoru Kano's book on Judo on order, and an MMA text.

Curious if Don Pentecost's Put 'Em Down, Take 'Em Out!: Knife Fighting Techniques From Folsom Prison is actually good information.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 7:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never read the book but if it's based on real prison knife techniques "Walk up to someone with your blade hidden then juke'em in the kidneys" usually works. Not sure how someone could fill an instructional book with just that though.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:15am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Never read the book but if it's based on real prison knife techniques "Walk up to someone with your blade hidden then juke'em in the kidneys" usually works. Not sure how someone could fill an instructional book with just that though.
    I'm pretty sure it's in the Dog Brothers "Die Less Often" material, where Crafty Dog recounts talking to a convict who belonged to the Aryan Nations, about prison shankings, and he asked (and immediately regretted his wording) about what technique was used.

The answer was something like "Technique? There's no technique. Just man up and keep stabbing the guy in the neck."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:24am

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Y. View Post
    Everything from non-lethal subduing moves to the simple, lethal **** they do in the military.
    This is actually a misnomer, military combatives teaches you to crapple with your opponent until your buddies can get there and butt stroke him into submission.

"Combat on the Streets"? Knife fighting? This is some Gangs of New York **** right here. If your serious about self defense on the mean streets, take a concealed carry class and carry a firearm. Before I joined the army I was... kind of a hoodlum. Most crooks carry weapons now, the kind that shoot bullets.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=76009&page=1
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=60991&page=1
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=31505&page=1

But if your determined to go the martial route, here are a couple threads that discuss conventional martial arts in a 'street fighting' situation. Good Luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:35am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're talking about learning to use a weapon to defend yourself, then the book mentioned is okay, but the DLO set is the best thing going.

If you want to learn to defend yourself without a weapon, let me save you some time and money. Learn distance , a good push kick, how to throw good elbows and some basic BJJ. Everything else is grabbing balls, gouging eyes, breaking fingers and mashing throats and you don't have to buy a book or train any of that IMO.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:42am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes - concealed carry if you are thinking self defense vs weapons. There are classes in close quarter shooting, self defense shooting in some gun clubs and martial arts schools. We have at least 2 in my area that teach SD oriented shooting with airsoft, and can help with cc permitting.

If you're thinking bar/street fights, there are dozens of threads on this.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: knife throwing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_free View Post
    This is actually a misnomer, military combatives teaches you to crapple with your opponent until your buddies can get there and butt stroke him into submission.

"Combat on the Streets"? Knife fighting? This is some Gangs of New York **** right here. If your serious about self defense on the mean streets, take a concealed carry class and carry a firearm. Before I joined the army I was... kind of a hoodlum. Most crooks carry weapons now, the kind that shoot bullets.
    I'm not planning on actually needing to use it, I'm just a knowledge whore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:48pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Yes - concealed carry if you are thinking self defense vs weapons. There are classes in close quarter shooting, self defense shooting in some gun clubs and martial arts schools. We have at least 2 in my area that teach SD oriented shooting with airsoft, and can help with cc permitting.

If you're thinking bar/street fights, there are dozens of threads on this.
    I hear RBSD guys talk about how guns are often useless because unless the weapon is already in your hand when you're attacked it's too late. This seems like bullshit but can anyone give me a good reason why?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:56pm

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    I hear RBSD guys talk about how guns are often useless because unless the weapon is already in your hand when you're attacked it's too late. This seems like bullshit but can anyone give me a good reason why?
    http://youtu.be/bPnk9MhnEpY

I can always do this once I get a free hand, the crappling can have already begun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:05pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_free View Post
    http://youtu.be/bPnk9MhnEpY

I can always do this once I get a free hand, the crappling can have already begun.
    See, that seems way more effective then yet another KOMBAT KEYCHAIN MARK XII. Yes, this bladed heavy key fob looks just like a normal keychain everyone else has. No one will suspect a thing. Frankly, when I get the money I'm getting me one of these:

http://www.real-self-defense.com/unb...-umbrella.html

Now these three years I've spent fencing will make me teh deadly.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast