Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2002 2:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga,for one thing here is noting like what is taught in Israel it not even close to what is being teach to Israel SF. KM has turn into a Mc franchise. Kickboxing, mixed with a few self defense techniques, Why, It was turn into system to get people into shape the whole format was change to distribute to the pubic much was added to KM and much was taken away. What was added was more kickboxing moves like jabs and boxing stances and so on, I'm afraid jabs have never ended or finished any fight where someone is intent on killing you.What was taken away was all the principles that made KM not very pretty and it wouldn't take long to learn to teach fighting which isn't a good thing then you are getting people to sign contracts for a year at$89.00 a month. KM here in US is more like TAE- BO then a fighting system has a ton bad techniques and principles just to get the masses to fill there DOJO's I am not saying your not going to get in shape or get better coordination and overall balance. I have taken both KM here to see if it was the same as the KM there in Israel it took me two weeks to learn techniques and principles of KM in Israel .I walked out of KM here in US. LOL and happy I didn't sign a CON-tract.As soon as the guy told me his back ground that his school was teaching another form of MA and now he is go to teach KM try to give me the hard sell of KM to sign a contract for a year. I knew that KM it was a franchise. I told him I would take his class twice to see if I liked it. as I saw the boxing stances and techniques of jabbing and kicking and blocking I knew that this isn't KM. Then I understood why the hard sell, I looked a around in the class I saw couples and women very young men, most were out of shape or heavy This KM school was is a official accredited school KM here found a niche in a market place out of shape people who want to lose weight and the excitement of thinking they can defend their selves. Its more macho to lose weight in a Dojo then to pump pedals at a gym

Edited by - KJM on November 18 2002 01:31:38

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2002 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh , sorry I had to make another Krav Maga topic, My post wouldn't go through

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2002 2:37am

Style: Dynamic Combat,TaeKwondo,Judo,Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's interesting. That's pretty much what I thought of it. The description that this one Krav Maga student said of a drill was to have an instrctor have you lay on the floor as if your bound and gagged, then say things to fire you up and then you get up and run across the room hitting focus mits. What does that have to do with self defense??? If you're obducted it won't be that easy to get out of your restraints and go kicking the people's asses. They need to focus more on sucker punching and close range attacks. I have to agree about it being a very likely Mcdojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2002 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a business that involves arranging exercises in stations and moving from one to the next high reps of punching kicking muscle endurance. This type of training is focused more on increased strenght and than cardiovascular benefits. What does that have to do with self defense allot but that isn't Krav Maga! That's TAE BO, Krav Maga is very hostile system for CQC combat environment,specific applications of fundamental concepts in combat tactics strategys primarily to take out your attacker potential weapons,if nothing else you can use the walls and floors to be an effective weapon.This idea of the environment as a weapon and so on. Wasn't kickboxing moves like jabs and boxing stances and so on.More like elbows knees heel stomps throwing or slamming jamming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Birth of krav maga

To prepare soldiers for combat and to instill a warrior spirit, in the 1980s the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) created a boot-camp-style hand-to-hand program called krav maga (krav means "combat" or "fight," and maga means "touch" or "contact"). Krav maga is a well-rounded hybrid system which encourages students to be aggressive and decisive in conflict. It includes hard-hitting hand and elbow strikes, thai-style knee strikes, low kicks, grappling, knife defense, gun and rifle takeaways, and lots of physical conditioning. The original concept of krav maga was to absorb any martial art that was useful by taking its most effective techniques and teaching them quickly and efficiently.

Krav maga offshoots

In late 1980s krav maga was also being taught to the Israeli public. Since everyone in that society serves in the military, most of the population had been exposed to it anyway. In fact, the name of the art became so common that it was used as loosely in Israel as the word karate is used in America. Variations sprang up everywhere. By the 1990s, everybody was claiming to be a krav maga master or a 10th degree black belt.

Some of the original instructors of krav maga got so fed up with people claiming that their krav maga was the "true-version taught to elite units" that they dropped the term krav maga from their vocabulary altogether. With so many people laying claims to the krav maga system, many veteran instructors felt a need to regulate what was, and was not, pure krav maga. Several organizations stepped up to the plate: the krav maga association, krav maga federation, krav maga union, Israeli krav maga, international krav maga federation, krav maga and so on.

A few years ago, the Wingate Institute, a respected Israeli sports organization, claimed to have the exclusive rights to krav maga for licensing and curriculum purposes. Although it was recently defeated in court, the organization is appealing to the Israeli Supreme Court. Many in the military community are outraged at the Institutes attempt to gain control of the name.

Since the commercialization of krav maga in Israel, there has been a movement away from using these terms altogether.

(Black Belt magazine November 2002)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga, inc has actually licensed many ATA schools to teach Krav Maga. The instructors attend a week long seminar, 3 seminars for full certification....The ads you see in Black Belt Magazine for the school locations are mostly ATA TKD schools that teach the program.....McMaga.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructors attend a week long seminar, 3 seminars (WOW) That makes it Krav maga! For full certification it's not the same it is an Krav maga offshoot. There is on boxing or kickboxing in KM only. thai-style knee strikes and elbows.Sorry to burst your bubble. The instructors attend a 3 week long seminar No nothing about Krav maga! They can be an Aerobic instructors at a McDojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 11:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I meant...It's Krav McMaga.....ATA turned it's Cardio Kickboxing program into Krav Maga.....They are certified to teach, licensed to sell the "Official" Krav Maga gear, etc.....Krav Maga, inc. advertises these ATA schools as Krav Maga Training Centers....Your right, they know little to nothing about Krav Maga.......My bubble is still intact.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wrote a niiiice article on Krav Maga. You should be reading it shortly.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    3/30/2010 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been fortunate in that here in central ohio, we have an instructor or two who has ties to Israel and specifically works with the several local suburban police departments. He is knowledgable enough to go through the exact differences between true Krav Maga and McKM, and lets you know up front, that you will not be privy to certain techniques due to their destructive nature unless you qualify for the Level 3 class which is restricted to Law Enforcement and Military Personnel who have completed level 2. Beyond that, one hallmark that lets you know that we're dealing with a true KM program is that EVERY Class ends with a focus on dealing with multiple attackers -- emphasis on ending the fight by immobilizing your attackers. You put together a recap of the movements that were the focus of that days training for about 10 minutes, then you go live into 'Street Fight' for the last 25 minutes of class in groups of 3, rotating between attacker and defender in 3 minute segments with 1 minute breaks. Entry level class uses 1 large pad, and 2 small focus mitts; level two -- No Mitts, but heavily padded gloves.

I won't say there there is zero McKickBoxing envolved, but you will learn how to throw proper elbows, how to counter [both with hands and kicks], how to handle knife attackers, and if you come to class on saturdays, you will fight -- with an emphasis on ending the fight as quickly as possible through pressure point manipulation, and the fastest power strikes available for the situation. The late saturday morning class is more for combining Krav with more Muay Thai for MMA style competitive fighting.
    Last edited by murkwerx; 3/30/2010 11:22am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast