Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    STA is done in a straight line in Nage No Kata, FYI. Although I find the dynamic delay(tm) is more often required while circling or debana resulting from a change in directions.
    Duh, of course it is. There goes me showing my lack of kata practice again, lol.

The offset idea I'm having to think about some more. It looks to me like you are basically saying to start out offset in the position you would normally move to to do STA, to the tsurite grip side, in order to make up for a lack of ability to move (due to your uke or yourself).

In a normal STA, the offset is part of the overall tai sabaki, or part of the preparatory movement.
    Well the 'offset' thing is something I first noticed and worked out when people were doing O soto as I talked about in my O soto thread. Then I started picking it up on Sasae and Hiza as well and noticed people were using it.

Yeh what I'm saying is that in uchikomi you need to start 'offset' so that you replicate the positioning which stems from tai sabaki and natural movement which creates the debana. Its just the same as for the O soto starting slightly off step and doing the chasse step to get yourself out to the side.

STA to the tsurite side is easier to do for me, and I'm better at it that way. There is more direct control of uke upper body due to the lack of slack/distance in the lapel vs the sleeve. So the sleeve side version requires finer timing and control.

The tsurikomi is still critical to get a clean throw on the lapel side, and is still there, it's just a bit different. But one can slop/power through it on the lapel side easier (see previous paragraph).
    Yeh absolutely. Tsurite side is where I do mine as well so I can pair it with the O soto gari.

One of my students is really getting the hang of it. He nearly threw one of his rivals with it in a kenka yotsu situation recently, and the kinsa he got in golden score won the match. He also threw a shodan with Hiza Guruma recently for ippon from the more extreme right vs right situation you describe. We like to do it from a double lapel grip as well, especially when the battle for the sleeve gets stalemated, it is usually a big surprise.

Ben
    Extreme right on right is where I find its really useful, especially against big guys where you get locked in and don't have the space to T-up and Ko uchi like Adams shows in those vids I linked to.

Especially as I'm an O soto merchant it works well because you have the fear and can get the reaction for a big Sasae.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds more like Harai Tsurikomi Ashi, but I'd have to see it to know for sure.

Ben
    I get so confused sometimes.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 5:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I get so confused sometimes.
    Does this help?
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...-ashiwaza.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 11:37pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor has this extremely odd idea that STA must be done when uke's foot is planted and by pulling straight down. He's extremely insistent about this and doesn't seem to realize why tsurikomi is part of the throw's name. I really want to correct him on this, but with him being a sandan and me just a sankyu I don't think I'd be able to convince him when he criticizes a nidan in our club for doing the throw correctly and beautifully.
    Last edited by Just Guess; 4/28/2011 11:44pm at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Thanks. While that's a great explanation of the different ashiwaza, I was really expressing my bemusement with life in general.

I guess it's a bit like the time I bought that shampoo with "no more tears" written on it. Let's face it there was no way a shampoo could ever deliver on such a promise.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 4/29/2011 4:40am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 3:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tonight, I discovered osoto gari->sasae tsurikomi ashi->seoi nage. Seems to work beautifully if the uke successfully gets their attacked foot over my block. Thoughts? Experiences?

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 4:27am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post, this throw is one of the few i get in wrestling. Looking forward to trying out some of your combo suggestions.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 5:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    Tonight, I discovered osoto gari->sasae tsurikomi ashi->seoi nage. Seems to work beautifully if the uke successfully gets their attacked foot over my block. Thoughts? Experiences?
    Not one I've come across, but any combination is theoretically possible as long as it adheres to the fundamental principles of spacing and positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Good post, this throw is one of the few i get in wrestling. Looking forward to trying out some of your combo suggestions.
    Well you have to be able to perform each throw on its own before you can do combinations. If you know how to do O soto gari and Okuri ashi barai and understand the fundamental principles that make Okuri work then, by all means have a bash and see you get on. You'll need to drill them a lot in uchikomi and nagekomi, before you can get them to work in randori, though.

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 6:15am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figure i'll be able to do them sometime in 2013, taking 1 day of Judo a week. Keep up the good articles please :).
    Last edited by Sang; 4/30/2011 6:20am at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Thanks. While that's a great explanation of the different ashiwaza, I was really expressing my bemusement with life in general.

I guess it's a bit like the time I bought that shampoo with "no more tears" written on it. Let's face it there was no way a shampoo could ever deliver on such a promise.
    Try not to fall in love so easily, and life will seem much kinder to you.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast