Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 5:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Preparing for 1st Sanshou comp..

I am planning to enter my first Sanshou competition (novice division) in November, and pretty much need all the time between now and then to prepare so would appreciate some feedback from more experienced people on my plans for the next 6 months.

1) Martial arts training per a week: At the moment train Wu Shu Kwan once a week, and sparring is 15 minutes at the end of the class, although the good thing is the sparring is pretty much according to the San Shou rule set, with the exception of throws as we do not have mats.

Once a week is obviously a problem, the next closest (in the sense of style) is Muay Thai, which I could do an extra 1 or 2 days a week, would this be a good addition to training?

Also would Muay Thai cover the throws/sweeps angle enough? There is a Judo club within driving distance also, and some trad Ju Jitsu clubs around, would it be worth doing those or concentrating on the striking?

Though the lack of training in throws/sweeps is a concern to me at the moment, as it is not just doing them but practising countering them and getting used to being thrown without it phasing me too much.

2) Weight: At the moment I weigh 95kg, so I am in the heavy weight division and I do not want to be there. Height is 6' 2" but I weigh more now than I ever have due to increased body fat, ideally looking to drop 6 KG so to compete in the 85kg to 89 kg weight range.

Planning that improved diet and increased fitness with solve this.

3) Fitness: Bit patchy at the moment to be honest, but when everything goes to plan a week is like this

1 day martial arts class (2 hours)
    1 day free weights (1 hour)
    1 day HIIT, usually plyometrics and punch bag (30 to 40 min)
    2 day body weight, core and punch bag (30 to 40 min)

I know I need to do running, and plan to start, but working full time and having a family does not leave much time for training.

Would appreciate any views etc I am 35 now, so have a few good years left and want to make the most of them whilst I can and Sanshou is just one of those things I feel the need to do.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much time have you been training? you need more than one day of week of MA training and more than 15min of sparring, Muay thai is probably the closest thing to San shou, hopefully the MT gives you more sparring.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    Also would Muay Thai cover the throws/sweeps angle enough? There is a Judo club within driving distance also, and some trad Ju Jitsu clubs around, would it be worth doing those or concentrating on the striking?
    I've seen a skilled muay thai guy dumping people on the ground at will. Not all throwing/takedown methods are allowed, but it seems to me that if they'll work in muay thai they'll work in sanshou. Judo is great for throwing people but the beginning stages will be focused on throws from an orthodox grip on the clothing, and won't be using boxing gloves. Trad JJ is a mixed bag, but again you won't be working with gloves on and may be using the gi.

I think you need to be sparring more.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 7:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get to the MT class, you need a lot more sparring. Drop the bodyweight/core fitness stuff first if something's got to give. Judo would help as well, but probably not until you'd done a year or so of it.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make MT a priority but let them know you will be fighting under San Shou rules. They can show you "dirty" MT throws which are perfectly legal in San Shou.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

:)

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My understanding is that the throws in muay thai don't get you points, but they do them anyway to show dominance. Overeem does this in K1, which I love to see.

Catch and counter is huge in MT and SanShou. Some fighters I know, fight in both rulesets, so train the way you'll fight, or retain what you'll use, as you train in the similar rules.

San Shou not San Da...no knees?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies, some good stuff there. I will make contact with the local Muay Thai coach next week and go through what I need to train for, if that does not work out there is another larger Muay Thai gym further away.

Sounds like Judo is not really what I need to be doing at the moment, as it was just for Sanshou rather than to learn Judo itself.

Totally agree I am not sparring enough, also not a large enough range of sparring partners, as current class is small.

ojgsxr6, I have been training on and off really, kickboxing when a teenager, then a long break and wing chun for a few years (the bad habits of which I am still stuck with at times), then various short lived adventures in Ju Jitsu and the worlds most peaceful kyokushin dojo.

Newest place currently about 3 months, which is why I need to concentrate on training over the next 6 months, but it is a novice competetion, so should be a good intro before entering the normal competetions next year.

Just checked the rules, and yes there is no knees or elbows allowed.