Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 12:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what a Sumoka is but it sounds delicious!

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 12:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think I had one of those at an Indian place once and it gave me the shits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:35am

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its Sumotori as 100xobm said. Sumoka is the incorect polish name for a sumo practitioner. Funny enough I'm the one who's correcting others when they use it.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the quality of the pic. I was trying to find a picture showing sumo from Meiji era. I have seen a couple of photos around that show Sumo wrestlers with physiques closer to that of Rugby players than of Mcdonalds eating cab drivers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7726011...7871/lightbox/

I thought it may be of interest to those who might have only seen Sumo players of the type that predominate these days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:59pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Sorry for the quality of the pic. I was trying to find a picture showing sumo from Meiji era. I have seen a couple of photos around that show Sumo wrestlers with physiques closer to that of Rugby players than of Mcdonalds eating cab drivers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7726011...7871/lightbox/

I thought it may be of interest to those who might have only seen Sumo players of the type that predominate these days.
    If Japanese sumo had weight classes you might see different builds, but it doesn't so putting on more mass over your heavily muscled frame can only make you better at what you do sumo-wise.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    If Japanese sumo had weight classes you might see different builds, but it doesn't so putting on more mass over your heavily muscled frame can only make you better at what you do sumo-wise.

If that were true than the best Sumo players would probably also be the biggest, which isn't necessarily the case. I think to a good degree it's about the spectacle.

The pic above is awesome, and I always suspected Sumo originally looked more like Bukh fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also probably important to remember that at the turn of the previous century people were massively undernourished compared to today. Even in the richest and most advanced countries in the world. Britain's men of fighting age were found to be so woefully undernourished and poorly fed during the Boer War that it sparked a national crisis.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    If that were true than the best Sumo players would probably also be the biggest, which isn't necessarily the case. I think to a good degree it's about the spectacle.

The pic above is awesome, and I always suspected Sumo originally looked more like Bukh fighters.
    Not quite what I meant, you have to have skill but I meant piling on weight makes that skill even better a lot of the time. Weight cannot replace skill but it's awfully hard to move someone who outweighs you by 100 pounds, regardless of skill, so a lot of smaller sumo guys have to get crafty. I saw footage somewhere of a guy FREAKING JUMPING OVER THE OTHER GUY on the initial charge, causing him to charge right out of the ring. I wish sumo were more widespread as I'd like to add some of their throws to my standing grappling. I'm kind of getting at the old "skilled big man versus skilled small man" saw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 6:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here's some neat footage of Ssireum, South Korea's wrestling art. These guys are chubby but maybe it helps that you grab onto the belt for leverage.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 3:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I see fighters that morbidly obese I start to just get the heeby jeebies. You know there isn't a friendly smelling fold on that body. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123