Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:20pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Reminds me of this kid:
    I just wonder when the hell determined and focused with eyes carrying intent during a kata became screaming, red-faced, and angry. It makes one look like a giant dork to kiai every move while swinging a graphite toothpick around and addressing the judges by angrily yelling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    Is that a wushu thing?
    No. Wushu is basically has specific routines, requirements and a degree of difficulty similar to gymnastics judging.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:38pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    I just wonder when the hell determined and focused with eyes carrying intent during a kata became screaming, red-faced, and angry. It makes one look like a giant dork to kiai every move while swinging a graphite toothpick around and addressing the judges by angrily yelling.
    sparrow / hawk

A hawk just looks fierce by its nature.

A sparrow has to flit about madly and chirp at the top of it's tiny lungs to fool it's enemies into thinking it's more dangerous than it is. Like Sirc.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They formal angry name-stating and all that weirds me out at tournaments. I'm doing a big multi-style tournament on Sunday (mostly for the stickfighting) and my teacher wanted me to do a sayaw (form), so I'm gonna, but I refuse to put on a big show about who I am and where I'm from. The Far Eastern martial arts forms divisions should be fun to watch, just to see who's got the best angry face and snazziest gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    sparrow / hawk

A hawk just looks fierce by its nature.

A sparrow has to flit about madly and chirp at the top of it's tiny lungs to fool it's enemies into thinking it's more dangerous than it is. Like Sirc.
    That's really an awesome analogy for what's going on here. I always hated the formal angry name stating (hereafter referred to as FANS) and thought it was dorky and weird and had nothing at all to do with fighting capability. Also, things making fun of Sirc are hilarious, especially when you imagine someone chain punching a sparrow. But seriously, such brazen displays of emotion and anger as the FANS don't really exist in Eastern cultures that emphasize "face" and composure. So where the hell did they come from?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:37pm

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But seriously, such brazen displays of emotion and anger as the FANS don't really exist in Eastern cultures that emphasize "face" and composure.
    That's what I always thought/was trained....but I guess it helped having a sensei that was trained in Japan? The weird things I saw at competitions always used to me and being young and impressionable, I always came away with bad habits...
    Last edited by Jazz.w92; 4/28/2011 3:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    That's what I always thought/was trained....but I guess it helped having a sensei that was trained in Japan? The weird things I saw at competitions always used to me and being young and impressionable, I always came away with bad habits...
    I think it's partially westerners trying to out-Asian Asians. They think stoic and disciplined means ANGRY AND MILITARISTIC. It's the same thing i see with people acting like obi have some sorty of mystical spirit and hard work that mustn't be washed out or that I am somehow dishonoring the ancient spirit of Sensei Nobu if I fail to fold my gi properly before putting it away. Funny, because most of the people from Japan and Korea I've trained with just stuff it in their gym bag and go home.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:02pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that there is a lineage issue here -
    Wushu and gymnastics are pretty close to one another in grading format.
    Gymnastic type routines are par for the Wushu circuit, and many gymnasts do Wushu. Gymnastics and cheerleading are often taught in the same academies.

I wrote out my whole theory and deleted it, but you can see where this is going.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But seriously, such brazen displays of emotion and anger as the FANS don't really exist in Eastern cultures that emphasize "face" and composure. So where the hell did they come from?
    My guess is that it came from the early wave of martial arts teachers that were US military stationed in Korea, Okinawa etc and trained only as long as their deployment. Then the yelling and stuff just kind of seeped in from the military side of things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My guess is that it came from the early wave of martial arts teachers that were US military stationed in Korea, Okinawa etc and trained only as long as their deployment. Then the yelling and stuff just kind of seeped in from the military side of things.
    I kind of think this too. When learning TKD from Koreans I have to wonder how much of the yelling and side slapping is Korean Martial arts and how much of it is their mandatory military service shining through.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast