Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 7:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's also some canadian mullet boy, wayne something something.

http://waynedalglish.tripod.com/

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    there's also some canadian mullet boy, wayne something something.

http://waynedalglish.tripod.com/
    Team Paul Mitchell sponsors a kid with a mullet?! WTF?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 11:25am

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    I disagree.
    I see plenty of the kids her age, or even younger that practice and compete in judo at my dojo, and I guarantee you they will kick her ass.

Giving a child Fake Accolades for a non-achievement is not good parenting/teaching!
    Agreed. In the dojo I was at at her age, just about everyone would have been able to look at her and see she was not BB material. Giving a kid like that 4 BBs is like saying well done, you've mastered the things you've learned so far. Which clearly isn't true. Dojos (REAL dojos) should only grade to levels appropriate for the individuals effort AND skill level.

If this hadn't been hyped up like this and she hadn't been made responsible for teaching other peoples' kids I would say 'who cares' too but now everyone is looking at that and thinking it's a reflection of karate dojos everywhere. This kind of thing is the reason kids and parents come into dojos expecting to keep grading based on just memorising the order of moves in a few katas. And whats even more annoying is when those kids grow up and come into real dojos thinking they're hot ****! (though admittedly, it is always very fun and entertaining to bring them back down to reality...)

Also:

What...in the holy hell...is this? I'm thinking demon possession.

But I must admit that unlike the girl in the OP he does seem to be pretty skilled, especially for his age

Oh and forgive my ignorance but..."Musical forms"? What is this? I don't even....
    Last edited by Jazz.w92; 4/28/2011 11:35am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:23pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm only 30, so maybe someone who's older and has practiced MA for a long time can give me insight on this. Were these types of Korean/Japanese themed daycare McDojos prevalent back in the 70s and 80s (or before), or is this a more modern phenomenon?

When I was in Kindergarten (1986), my mom briefly enrolled me in a strip mall dojo called "Family Karate Center", which of course would set off all sorts of alarm bells now. However, kids trained with adults, Sensei worked us out hard, I had to do knuckle pushups anytime I talked out of turn, he would whack my legs and core with a shinai during kata and every class ended with sparring, even for the kids. I was young, so I don't remember if it was point sparring or full contact, but I do remember people getting hurt from time to time.

So, did I get lucky, or have things just gotten softer in the modern era?

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my first k.o. round the age of 10, sparring kk karate.
    whats the name, yoko geri (?) to zhe jaw did the trick.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    Also:

What...in the holy hell...is this? I'm thinking demon possession.
    Reminds me of this kid:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First black eye at about 7 from a mawashi geri to the face, first bloodied gi probably at 6 or 7 from a straight punch to the nose. Many since and I STILL haven't quite learned to keep my guard up...should probably do more work on my shoulders...

@Permalost- AAHAHAHAAAAAAAA Doppelganger!!!

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:02pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I'm only 30, so maybe someone who's older and has practiced MA for a long time can give me insight on this. Were these types of Korean/Japanese themed daycare McDojos prevalent back in the 70s and 80s (or before), or is this a more modern phenomenon?

When I was in Kindergarten (1986), my mom briefly enrolled me in a strip mall dojo called "Family Karate Center", which of course would set off all sorts of alarm bells now. However, kids trained with adults, Sensei worked us out hard, I had to do knuckle pushups anytime I talked out of turn, he would whack my legs and core with a shinai during kata and every class ended with sparring, even for the kids. I was young, so I don't remember if it was point sparring or full contact, but I do remember people getting hurt from time to time.

So, did I get lucky, or have things just gotten softer in the modern era?
    It's gotten worse as far as I can see. I'm only 39, but we sparred in my strip-mall TKD/HKD school and not touchy point rules. Then again, the owners were off-the-boat Koreans and ran that place like a military base. We counted pushups in Korean and bowed to everything using Korean terms. We even ate Korean food at the annual festival they did. Bloody noses, injured ribs, broken toes were not uncommon.
    I don't see much of that anymore - they are all "little ninja/little dragon" type places that seem more like MA themed daycare than actual martial arts schools.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:05pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jazz - that mullet kid actually has some skills. His forms are just forms, but hell, he's crisp, fast, and clean. The girl can't say any of that.

I mean wushu isn't about fighting, but it's at least got good choreography. 4 blackbelt girl is just a sham.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, like i said, he seems pretty skilled...i'd just never heard of "musical forms" before. Is that a wushu thing?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast