Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    I remember getting yelled at by a female black belt at a tournament for stepping over her obi when it was on the floor. I told her she was an idiot who didn't know a damned thing about Japan and walked away.
    I had that happen before, someone complained about me stepping on their obi lying on the floor. I replied that they had disrespected their own obi by throwing it on the floor to be stepped on, along with everything else on the floor, and I was merely treating it with the same level of respect that they had.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:32am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's a fair assumption to make, but when it comes to sparring, everyone is different. The littler guys, no matter how hard they condition themselves, will not stand toe to toe with the heavyweights (or hell even the middleweights).

So they'll be using footwork a lot more and trying to counter. But as a generalised thing, I would say you're spot on the money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:43am

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    Another quick Kyokushin question I have is I have noticed that they do less evasion than Shotokan or Enshin and focus mainly on toughness in dealing with strikes. Is this a correct observation or am I just watching the wrong videos?
    Depends on the teacher.
    My instructor and his instructor are avid fans of boxing and we're taught weaves and ducks, which really helps the littler guys like myself.

I would like to look more into the Sabaki method, which is what Enshin guys use, which utilize angles. That is the key in striking if you're going against a bigger opponent and/or someone that uses brute force. Take advantage of their lack of skill and balance.

Does it help? Yes it does. I tried it during my belt test and rather than trying to take a beating, I quickly moved to 10 and 2 o clock and countered. I still suck at it, but sure beats facing someone head on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 10:33am

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Depends on the teacher.
    My instructor and his instructor are avid fans of boxing and we're taught weaves and ducks, which really helps the littler guys like myself.

I would like to look more into the Sabaki method, which is what Enshin guys use, which utilize angles. That is the key in striking if you're going against a bigger opponent and/or someone that uses brute force. Take advantage of their lack of skill and balance.

Does it help? Yes it does. I tried it during my belt test and rather than trying to take a beating, I quickly moved to 10 and 2 o clock and countered. I still suck at it, but sure beats facing someone head on.
    Thank you guys for that. I'm a little bit on the shorter side and I'm not very muscular so I was concerned I would have to endure a horrible ass kicking even after I'd toughened up and become a hardass karateka. Now it makes the ass kicking horrible but not quite as painful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 11:48am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    LOL...goddamn stop breaking your collar bone!!!! I'm guessing they were re-breaks?
    hail all the faggots doing kata-guruma and dumping me on my shoulder point instead of my back

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 7:45am

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My aikido instructor just posted this link on my wall. Say what you will about aikido but this **** is adorable. Not sure what rank she is (hopefully NOT black, though she's in haks so I'm assuming it's a senior belt but I won't comment on my feelings about that seeing as I've been doing so all thread) . Obviously her uke is being totally compliant for learning purposes due to her size and age and her technique isn't as good as I'm sure it will be but her flipfalls are pretty damn good...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 9:29am

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, IMO, if her daddy was smart and actually made the process hard on her like he's supposed to, she wouldn't have gotten a black belt at such a young age. Why do parents who teach their children TMA do that? I just don't get it. Oh yeah... btw, I'm getting my black belt in about 2 years. I started Shotokan when I was 4, just lik Jazz.w92.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 10:57am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (hopefully NOT black, though she's in haks so I'm assuming it's a senior belt but I won't comment on my feelings about that seeing as I've been doing so all thread)
    in some aikido styles even white belts wear magic pants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 11:15am

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    I can agree with this.

I took Isshinryu Krotty for 4 years and switched to Kyokushin for a couple of years.
    After taking a two year break I came back this year and got my Shodan.

Woop.
    Congrats! would you happen to have video of your test? I was curious to see a Knockdown BB test.

I love the "grab my wrist" @1:04

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 11:36am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My aikido instructor just posted this link on my wall. Say what you will about aikido but this **** is adorable. Not sure what rank she is (hopefully NOT black, though she's in haks so I'm assuming it's a senior belt but I won't comment on my feelings about that seeing as I've been doing so all thread) . Obviously her uke is being totally compliant for learning purposes due to her size and age and her technique isn't as good as I'm sure it will be but her flipfalls are pretty damn good...

My little one is 3 and I'm slowly introducing her to stick play. As soon as she shows an interest in boys it's gonna be a steady diet of wrist locks and chokes.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast