Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:14pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still remember the illusions that were shattered my first trip to Okinawa to train in the Hombu Dojo. First of all, the dojo was not the gleaming gold and polished teak palace I expected, much more similar to a basement boxing gym.

Second, I actually saw Okinawan black belts PUT THEIR OBI ON THE FLOOR and seem very casual about their bows (always present, but not a big show). Then the Grandmaster's son told one guy to go over to the heavy bag and practice mawashi geri, and walked away. Close to an hour later that guy was still at the heavy bag practicing mawashi geri.

Really changed my whole outlook on training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:19pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by senseipookie View Post
    I still remember the illusions that were shattered my first trip to Okinawa to train in the Hombu Dojo. First of all, the dojo was not the gleaming gold and polished teak palace I expected, much more similar to a basement boxing gym.

Second, I actually saw Okinawan black belts PUT THEIR OBI ON THE FLOOR and seem very casual about their bows (always present, but not a big show). Then the Grandmaster's son told one guy to go over to the heavy bag and practice mawashi geri, and walked away. Close to an hour later that guy was still at the heavy bag practicing mawashi geri.

Really changed my whole outlook on training.
    I remember getting yelled at by a female black belt at a tournament for stepping over her obi when it was on the floor. I told her she was an idiot who didn't know a damned thing about Japan and walked away. Another time we had a visiting instructor from another dojo where one of our students was Japanese and had trained in Japan. When our Japanese student put his gi crumpled up in his bag the visiting instructor was horrified and said he must have studied in an American school because they would never fail to show respect to their karategi in Japan. She was mortified upon being informed that our student was not only from Japan but had studied there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:24pm

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well to be fair, I'm sure practices like that will vary over there as well.

But I do agree that TMAs have been ridiculously westernised and loads of strange things have been invented to make them seem more "authentic" to ignorant consumers...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    Well to be fair, I'm sure practices like that will vary over there as well.

But I do agree that TMAs have been ridiculously westernised and loads of strange things have been invented to make them seem more "authentic" to ignorant consumers...
    HAI SENSEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always hated going to a kiddie karate class when I was five and having to yell ONE SENSEI!!!! TWO SENSEI!!! after every puchup. Most "sensei" don't even get what that word actually means.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Auch, reminds me of when I first moved and had to change dojos (and styles (Shotokan to Wado kai)). Words can't describe the level of BS that went on there with that crazy ass "sensei" who, as it turns out, was severely bipolar and off his meds...Explains SO much really...

Oh and did I mention this guy is STILL teaching? and STILL off his meds??? My younger sister ended up in one of his classes at a summer camp at the YMCA last year. Poor thing was in tears, never wanted to go back....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Auch, reminds me of when I first moved and had to change dojos (and styles (Shotokan to Wado kai)). Words can't describe the level of BS that went on there with that crazy ass "sensei" who, as it turns out, was severely bipolar and off his meds...Explains SO much really...

Oh and did I mention this guy is STILL teaching? and STILL off his meds??? My younger sister ended up in one of his classes at a summer camp at the YMCA last year. Poor thing was in tears, never wanted to go back....
    I don't dislike using the word sensei (though in America we throw that word around a lot more than the Japanese themselves do) but my Judo instructor insists on being called coach and I've always kind of like that as a general philosophy. I have lots of dojo/dojang horror stories but they at least made me a better martial arts shopper when I started paying for my own training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:40pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First black eye at about 7 from a mawashi geri to the face, first bloodied gi probably at 6 or 7 from a straight punch to the nose. Many since and I STILL haven't quite learned to keep my guard up...should probably do more work on my shoulders...

@Permalost- AAHAHAHAAAAAAAA Doppelganger!!!
    -first toe broken at 18
    -first broken collar bone at 19
    -second broken collar bone at 19
    -third broken collar bone at 20
    -first ankle broken at 20
    -first real callouses on the hands acquired at 20

yeah i know i'm a *****.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recall my training in Japan being pretty down-to-earth as well, in stark contrast to the "Japanese-tradition-as-canon" crap I've seen spouted by Westerners. Europeans seem especially annoying in this regard--one wonders if they've ever trained in Asia.

In not-entirely-unrelated news, I hold in my hot little hands my wife's copy of the May/June 2011 issue of Rogers Connected magazine. On page 64, GSP is quoted as saying:

"I've gotten back to my roots, working on my Karate."

Uh-oh. Maybe Anderson with his front-snap-kick isn't the only one boredom-trolling MMA's MT/BJJ orthodoxy.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 4/28/2011 10:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    -first toe broken at 18
    -first broken collar bone at 19
    -second broken collar bone at 19
    -third broken collar bone at 20
    -first ankle broken at 20
    -first real callouses on the hands acquired at 20

yeah i know i'm a *****.

LOL...goddamn stop breaking your collar bone!!!! I'm guessing they were re-breaks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    I recall my training in Japan being pretty down-to-earth as well, in stark contrast to the "Japanese-tradition-as-canon" crap I've seen spouted by Westerners. Europeans seem especially annoying in this regard--one wonders if they've ever trained in Asia.

In not-entirely-unrelated news, I hold in my hot little hands my wife's copy of the May/June 2100 issue of Rogers Connected magazine. On page 64, GSP is quoted as saying:

"I've gotten back to my roots, working on my Karate."

Uh-oh. Maybe Anderson with his front-snap-kick isn't the only one boredom-trolling MMA's MT/BJJ orthodoxy.
    If I ever make it to upper level MMA, I am going to Meia lua the **** out of someone until Capoeira is the new deadly fighting style. "Capoeira is back! Epeeist Capoeira!"
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast