Posted On:
    4/24/2011 2:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible Return of RINGS

Hi all,

Just saw this article, thought I it would be worth sharing:

Revival of the RINGS Network?!– April 23, 2011 The May 8th The Outsider 16 event is probably the promotion’s best yet. The Outsider vs. ZST fights, a The Outsider title fight, The Outsider vs. Russia fights, The Outsider vs. P’s LAB fights (Maeda has been in talks with Pancrase’s Sakamoto), and regular The Outsider fights (30-fight card, will post later) are all on the event.
    At yesterday’s press conference Maeda said that right now in Japanese MMA there are some promoters (any guesses?) who don’t operate properly so he has to do something. In The Outsider there are currently around 10 pro level fighters which means that The Outsider has a solid influence on the foundation of fighters.
    So if I understand correctly he wants to capitalize on that and make The Outsider a professional producing promotion and for the sake of Japanese MMA he’s considering the revival of the RINGS Network (where the pro level fighters of The Outsider could fight). Or he means that he wants to create a new event instead of The Outsider (foundation for fighters) and professionalize The Outsider as the revival of the RINGS Network. Either way he’s considering the revival of the RINGS Network (which has been out since February of 2002).

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=6230

The younger ones among you might not know it, but Rings was the first non-freakshow MMA promotion of note that got decent TV representation.

Its alumni include MMA luminaries like Fedor, Hendo, the Overeem brothers, and Matt Hughes.

Of course, a return of RINGS would only be a return of the brand name alone, but I will have the nostalgia factor selling me on this one.

Happy Easter,

Rafe

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 2:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, didn't they have a lame ruleset? I remember a few fighters publicly complaining about it before moving on to PrideFC.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 2:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, is Sengoku still alive?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 3:54am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen or heard anything about Sengoku in months, but I really haven't kept up like I used to. Hell, I still haven't finished my recording of this year's Dynamite.

Regarding RINGS, I think I remember Bas saying that they revised their ruleset a year or so before they went under. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was in the context of the early promotions changing as the sport became better defined on the road to its current form.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 4:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Regarding RINGS, I think I remember Bas saying that they revised their ruleset a year or so before they went under.
    Ahuh, so kinda like the Titanic crew revised their need for lifeboats right before they went under.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 4:24am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we're gonna screw the fighters momentum by having multiple resets whenever they get close to the ropes?