pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    the fights seem to be at this point moderate contact, the intent of the "kata" is to make sure you use the style you claim to be a participant of, i don't think they have anything against mma stylists (except that they have funky ground rules that prevent extrended grappling- i forgot what they are exactly and could have changed), just that they want to make sure anyone claiming to be a TKD stylist or bagua stylist isn't going to go in using strictly muai thai.
    That's silly. Can a TKD guy get penalized for kicking with his shin or keeping his hands up too high?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:08pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, why the hell do they assume "traditional" martial arts all have forms? Capoeira is over 100 years old with roots possibly going deeper and it doesn't have any forms. Muay Thai is old as hell and doesn't have forms. I'm sick of traditional martial arts being considered biconditional with East Asian Martial Arts. What about Kyokushin which has forms and belts but is relatively young and trains full contact? Are they traditional?

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 2:02pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    That's silly. Can a TKD guy get penalized for kicking with his shin or keeping his hands up too high?
    i really don't know.

it didn't seem like that kind of scoring, it seemed more as a "general" rule or catchall to just make sure you practiced the style you claimed.

then again- the event i was actually at did not even seem to have a kata component to it unless i missed it.

i was told about the forms "practice" by the person who told me about the competition and quite frankly the event i went to did not seem very well organized, they started very late so they could have simply been rushed for time or had technical difficulties i don't know about-

im not making excuses for them- but just trying to convey what little i do know and what i saw, about this event.

i am curious to see what happens with this thing in the future. i doubt i will go to the queens event, but if someone does they should report on it.

if there is a chance of any organized contact martial arts event growing in nyc that has regular matches/tournaments, its definately worth keeping an eye on.

@epeeist

i think everyone has thier own definition of what "traditional" is. i consider bjj a "traditional" martial art, same as "boxing" and muai thai. anything with a history that is a widely known martial art and not "diego's muai-judo-sam-guar school down the block" that he just started teaching 3 years ago.

i feel your pain though- anyone who is setting such hard and fast limitations on what is and isn't traditional is usually either trying to sell you something or use the term for marketing IMO. i just tend not to think of such things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find their submission rules kind of funny due to their specificity:

"To submit due to strikes or a lock a fighter must rapidly tap his open hand against any solid surface in view of the referee. "

So no verbal or foot tapping? I'm going in there and crucifixing everyone I see.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    I find their submission rules kind of funny due to their specificity:

"To submit due to strikes or a lock a fighter must rapidly tap his open hand against any solid surface in view of the referee. "

So no verbal or foot tapping? I'm going in there and crucifixing everyone I see.
    I'd be very surprised if they didn't honor a different obvious tap. I can't imagine a ref with a background in watching for subs wouldn't stop a match due to a verbal tap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'd be very surprised if they didn't honor a different obvious tap. I can't imagine a ref with a background in watching for subs wouldn't stop a match due to a verbal tap.
    I would imagine they would actually have common sense and honor verbal taps but their tapping rule is written in such an odd and specific way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 6:34pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have seen their videos for a while now,
    MMA should be legal and i praise what they are trying to do but that black taoist or sif novel.
    i just cannot stand him and his childish ways when somebody steps on his ego

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 9:57am

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll probably be up to compete, but only if it's gonna make the chances of legalizing MMA in NY higher. Since we don't really know, I'm not sure. The only reason I would participate in the Man Up Stand Up Fight League is because they're trying to support the legalization of MMA in NY.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2011 1:25pm

Style: martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSK_83 View Post
    I'll probably be up to compete, but only if it's gonna make the chances of legalizing MMA in NY higher. Since we don't really know, I'm not sure. The only reason I would participate in the Man Up Stand Up Fight League is because they're trying to support the legalization of MMA in NY.
    It has to start from somewhere for MMA to be considered legal and I think that MUSU is the start of MMA being legalized in NY providing that the martial arts community in NY push MUSU out to the public that so that it can garner more public support.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/04/2011 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MUSU will nver have anything to do with legalizing mma in NY. There have been a few mma leagues holding shows for years. There have been sport jiujutsu tourneys for years (which is more mma-like than MUSU IMO).

MMA will get legalized due to politics. Sorry guys, compete inthe show of course, but doing so won't be doing anything for MMA here, either good or bad.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast