Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2011 2:18am

Style: martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Man Up Stand Up Fight League (NY MMA)

Now since MMA is banned in NY this is something I think needs lots of support since its MMA oriented and that is the Man Up Stand Up Challenge in NY they are looking for schools and fighters for their next event May 28th in Jamaica, NY. If you stay in the area hit them up if you want to compete or just want to watch to support the progression of MMA in NY.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manup-...07967435896555

http://www.youtube.com/user/ManupStandup

http://www.blacktaoist.com/manup.asp

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the FaceBook info:

"""Each competitor must perform a kata/form/set from one of the styles that they represent prior to free fighting in order to qualify as being a legitimate traditional martial artist."""

In other words, they want to stop a boxer/kickboxer/grappler from going in and making them all look stupid?
    Even if not, having a free fighting tournament, and then closing it to only members of traditional martial arts, is retarded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have had Thai Boxers and Boxers in their tournaments before you might want to ask them if your style doesn't have a kata if they would still let you compete you never know unless you ask.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 2:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahh thats cool.
    Also, I see no knockouts in the rues, but clearly there are some in the videos, I assume the rule is there to keep it legal, but it is just looked the other way?

Also, for NY'ers looking for MMA action, there is sport jiujutsu in NY and LI, its kyokushin rules (including head kicks) with a 30 second grappling limit, in a gi, no strikes on the ground though. Very fun and fast paced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever you get the chance bro check out their Youtube videos and look for one guy named Ruben who does TKD and watch his fights they'll let you come close to knocking someone out but they'll stop the fight and give you the win before it goes any further. So knockouts are allowed yes but as soon as the person starts seeing stars and getting wobbly they'll stop the fight and give you the win. Sport Jujitsu is actually pretty cool but admit it you wish Unified Rules MMA was allowed in NY because you can do more damage to your opponent.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 5:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course i'd like unified rules in NY, but until then, I go to NJ/PA/VA wherever.

hmm maybe I will check out the event. Its next month I think, and yea I watched the Youtube vids

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 6:02pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, more props to you. And I'm sure a Thai boxer can make up an awesome little thai dance he does before the fight. And a Boxer showing his favorite combination is a good short set.

Let's fighting <3

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1 View Post
    From the FaceBook info:

"""Each competitor must perform a kata/form/set from one of the styles that they represent prior to free fighting in order to qualify as being a legitimate traditional martial artist."""
    This is exceptionally retarded given that the style of Bagua BlackTaoist trains (Yin Fu lineage) did not have forms until relatively recently.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 4:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ruleset is slightly odd, I would have thought it would have been more straight forward just to use standard San Shou rules?

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 2:52pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have actually been to one of these as a spectator, but did not see the whole thing-

the fights seem to be at this point moderate contact, the intent of the "kata" is to make sure you use the style you claim to be a participant of, i don't think they have anything against mma stylists (except that they have funky ground rules that prevent extrended grappling- i forgot what they are exactly and could have changed), just that they want to make sure anyone claiming to be a TKD stylist or bagua stylist isn't going to go in using strictly muai thai.

i was told that they actually will downgrade your points if you claim to be using one style, and actually go in using another- i did not see it happen, my exposure was limited, and i was certainly not a part of or exposed to the scoring calculations.

a freind of mine who is more interested in following this tourney than i, said that it is on the precipeice of becoming a solid great addition to the martial arts in nyc, or devolving into something disorganized and trashy.

it depends on what happens in the next few years i guess. i dont know enough about it to give real details but talk to the promoters.

EDIT:

the grappling rules if i recall have a "time limit" you can remain on the ground before the fighters are stood up, but during that time i believe submissions are allowed.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 4/28/2011 2:54pm at . Reason: addition
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast