Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 4:36pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    I'm not following. You trained at a "Gay Club"? A predominantly gay martial arts school? A Gay-friendly gym? What do you mean?
    (I'm not mad about it, I'm just curious)

Oh, man! that drives me nuts, training with smelly people. Rude people I'm just rougher with so they won't want to train with me. Or I go out of my way to frustrate them so they won't want to train with me. But smelly people? bleah.
    There was a guy in my BJJ class, nice guy, great blue belt skills, I learned a lot from him. But he had halitosis & it drove me nuts. The last time we trained I had him in the guard & he stacked on me & I kinda freaked out & almost punched him but instead I tapped. I attributed it to being freaked out by not being able to breath but the instructor gave me a funny look like he didn't believe me.
    A Gay MA club. I needed extra training for the Dan and would have had to travel even more otherwise. They got over it and I eventually had no problems. I paid my mat fees and was usually stooge for the Sensei demonstrating Technique sooo I was on best behaviour and showed the correct level of respect (he's a bit aloof).

Thanks for sharing your story about the Halitosis. That made me laugh especially reading about the quizzical look from your instructor. I can picture it!

Reminds of the student to whom I showed Hip Throw with Cross Over Armlock (Juji Katame, I think you term it). Anyway, I did a Strike to the Chest as Distraction and I saw his reaction and tried to calm him. I told him that he wasn't hurt, I'd just Shocked him. That was the purpose of my Focus Punch. I tend to do it automatically. So, having explained myself I repeated. I heard him say under his Breath, "Cnut". Well, I was a mite surprised but elected to disregard it. He must have confused me with that Danish King of England who ordered the waves to stay back....

I'm a kind Soul really (who is misunderstood).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 6:26pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, and I can get an American article supporting my point as well.

Okay???
    I know what it means and do not agree, here in America, it is a deterrent or that it will stop the issue any better than a normal charge. Id' argue, here in America at least, it makes the hate worse. Also, here it doesn't make them take it any more seriously because, the enhancement normally comes form the District Attorney afaik.
    Yeah, hate crime laws can be a tricky thing because although I generally agree with the overall societal goal (i.e. it would be good if people would stop picking on others just because of their race/gender/sexuality etc) I'm not quite sure that these laws achieve these goals. If you don't know it's wrong to assault/rape/kill people in general, is it really going to sink in extra deep to that person's thick skull that it is extra wrong to do it if your victim is chosen based on those factors? I suppose you could argue that in some parts of the country these laws help to put pressure on cops/prosecutors to take these kind of charges seriously when in the past they may have just been kind of swept under the rug as "boys will be boys" kind of thing.

Also, it can make it more difficult from a legal perspective because now the prosecutors also have another element of the crime to prove, and that can be tricky considering how subjective an attacker's mindset can be to prove absent some concrete evidence of their racism/homophobia etc.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 7:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC HATE BALL View Post
    Not saying you are one, but it seems that those most opposed to hate crime laws are butt-hurt about the tougher penalties that come with committing those particular crimes. It's like they're upset about losing their ability to hate.
    (see Christians/Republicans hating on the ghey)
    Nope. Every group in the U.S. can hate any and all other groups, there is no law that takes away that ability. All the hate crime laws do is say, for example, Cal Norton and Ricky Bobby can't assault Jean Girard and put the boots to him because he is gay. Which I believe is already covered by those sections of the crimminal code that say "You can't assault ANYONE and put the boots to them FOR ANY REASON.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 9:52am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Nope. Every group in the U.S. can hate any and all other groups, there is no law that takes away that ability. All the hate crime laws do is say, for example, Cal Norton and Ricky Bobby can't assault Jean Girard and put the boots to him because he is gay. Which I believe is already covered by those sections of the crimminal code that say "You can't assault ANYONE and put the boots to them FOR ANY REASON.
    So "hate crimes" is just a sexy, Madison avenue, propaganda tool. Well, then carry on the good fight Christian soldiers. The Muslims have been looking particularly Muslim lately
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213