Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 8:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most champion judo players only have about 5 techniques they really use so you arent that far off :)

I would suggest trying to find two techniques out of your favorites and build a combination out of them. Typically this would be done with a push and a pull.

For example Osoto gari to ippon seoi nage.

Drive hard in an attempt osoto gari, if your opponent pushes back in an attempt to stiff arm you and stop your forward progress attempt seoi nage as he pushes back. If he pulls in an attempt to stop your seoi nage then switch back to osoto gari-rinse/repeat.

In practice, work on the foot work to transition from whatever two throws you choose to move between them.

If all else fails I was once in a similiar situation. I won my first judo match by double leg takedown:) I faked that I was going to establish a traditional grip standing and then shot for his legs:)

Hope the advice helps you. good luck

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StanLeeUMA View Post
    Most champion judo players only have about 5 techniques they really use so you arent that far off :)

I would suggest trying to find two techniques out of your favorites and build a combination out of them. Typically this would be done with a push and a pull.

For example Osoto gari to ippon seoi nage.

Drive hard in an attempt osoto gari, if your opponent pushes back in an attempt to stiff arm you and stop your forward progress attempt seoi nage as he pushes back. If he pulls in an attempt to stop your seoi nage then switch back to osoto gari-rinse/repeat.

In practice, work on the foot work to transition from whatever two throws you choose to move between them.

If all else fails I was once in a similiar situation. I won my first judo match by double leg takedown:) I faked that I was going to establish a traditional grip standing and then shot for his legs:)

Hope the advice helps you. good luck
    In case you have not been updated, Morote Gari and other direct hand to leg attacks are not legal anymore as a first attack. They can be used as the second part of a combination attack, or as a counter throw.

You advice will get the OP disqualified (hansokumake) and lose the match.

Also, using the same attack pattern over and over again will get him countered. He has been in Judo less than 3 months, so complicated advice is pretty much worthless.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do have a couple of combinations of the throws I mentioned that I like, but considering that I've barely had time to learn the throws themselves, I obviously haven't had a lot of time to drill combinations yet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    In case you have not been updated, Morote Gari and other direct hand to leg attacks are not legal anymore as a first attack. They can be used as the second part of a combination attack, or as a counter throw.

You advice will get the OP disqualified (hansokumake) and lose the match.

Also, using the same attack pattern over and over again will get him countered. He has been in Judo less than 3 months, so complicated advice is pretty much worthless.

Ben
    I was unaware of the morote gari rule, as I havent competed in judo in a very long time.

and Yes doing the same thing over and over again will get you countered. He said he has a handle on a few throws. Do you think building combinations off of them is bad advice?

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he's saying that combinations are bad. I think he's saying that going back and forth between two throws will get you countered.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 1:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StanLeeUMA View Post
    I was unaware of the morote gari rule, as I havent competed in judo in a very long time.

and Yes doing the same thing over and over again will get you countered. He said he has a handle on a few throws. Do you think building combinations off of them is bad advice?
    No, not bad advice, but advice should be in context. Read the original post. He has very little experience at Judo, so he does not have a handle on any throws.

Not knocking your trying to help, just realize who your audience is in any given post.

Of course, feel free to ignore my suggestion, I don't run this place.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 1:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomic View Post
    I don't think he's saying that combinations are bad. I think he's saying that going back and forth between two throws will get you countered.
    Reading your other post, you are correct, you need to drill combinations and the component throws/movement/action reaction pattern to become proficient. But you are learning Judo with a what sounds like a good instructor and setting more or less, so go with what they want you to do.

At a higher level, repeating a simple movement pattern twice in a row will likely get you thrown/pin/choked/armlocked the second or third time. You don't need to worry about that yet, get the basics down, and have fun/learn at tournaments when you compete. Being overly occupied with winning and losing at your stage is counter productive.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 11:58pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice is forget about the grips until you are a LOT more advanced. Beginers have got no business playing arounnd with kumi kata although many currently disagree. Learn the throws properly first (around ten thousand repetitions in randori) then worry about the grips. Just use standard lapel/sleeve grips for now.
    Bette rthan pissing around with grips learn some combinations - for example use a fake throw that sets you up for the real one.
    I do a Marote sieo nage and if it fails and they lean backwards to resist - I ko-ouchi gari them.
    Osoto gari to Sasae Tsuri for example
    To set up Ippon seio nage you want something that makes them lean forwards onto you - so do some fake throw towards the back which makes them lean forward and bang...
    of course its never quite like that but....
    I trained Judo up to seven times a week for a year before I got any really effective throws and even now I am only really good at one and ok at three - after three years of obsessive training (and when I say "good" not anything like as good as an international or national level - those guys train five hours a day - but I can floor most blackbelts with ko ouchi gari - but I wont get near an international). Judo does not come easily or quickly - to anyone.
    PS you can grip around the back of the head/shoulder if youo cant get round the waist).
    Dont get injured and good luck !
    Last edited by Gustard; 4/26/2011 12:14am at .

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 5:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poor old Ben, me going away for a bit really did you leave as a one man band.

Combinations are good but you have to know how to do each throw on its own, you have to understand fundamental movement skills for how to control yourself and your opponent to create and exploit opportunities to throw and to combine the techniques.

After three months you have none of this so seeing combinations as a silver bullet is not going to get you very far.

You need to work on the fundamental skils of breaking uke's balance and the differences between doing that for various throws.

You need to work on fundamental positioning and how you use that to combine throws together.

Once you have an awareness of these skills and are working on honing them then you can think about throw selection.

Then once you have an awareness of those details and are working on implementing them and reach an minimum level of competency with them. Then you can start thinking about contest grip fighting.

Pro-tip, clicking on the highlighted words explains each point.

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 11:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, I forgot to just refer any judo questions to your blog!

Ben
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast