Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 9:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo in or near Philadelphia?

ok im looking for a place where i can learn judo somewhere near or in philadelphia pa. since I already am taking isshinryu i dont want to have to learn more katas so a school where they teach for a while and let us do that free grappling for the rest of the class would be preferable.
    ive been doing a lot of thinking lately and im trying to expand my MA expierience as much as possible as fast as possible.
    I would go and just google it but i was hoping to see if anyone on this forum knows any before i go to specific websites and just have them tell me everything i want to hear just to get me to join and waste my time.
    any help would be appreciated.

:)

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Enjoy your time here, and don't fear the search function (up top), it is your friend. I busted some google-fu, and here's what I could find.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.philadelphiajudo.com/
    Umholtz Judo is a Philadelphia Judo School that teaches a “Modern Judo” style not bound by the rules of Sport Judo or the dogma of Traditional Judo.
    Not sure about this. You want trad. Judo, with all the frills?
    http://www.phillyjudo.com/
    They seem to offer many styles, I'm not sure how well they're teaching Judo. The bios didn't say anything about judo, other than that a guy was the assistant instructor. No judo belts listed in the staff.
    http://www.libertybelljudo.com/
    Liberty Bell Judo Academy has been developing young athletes for over 20 years. Liberty Bell Judo Academy is a competitive club that caters to families. Many families practice together in both the junior and senior classes. The club offers instruction for both the Olympic hopeful and the recreational player.
    http://www.philadelphiajudoclub.com/
    FREE 30-DAY TRIAL!
    The instructors here are belted in Aikido and BJJ, I didn't see Judo on their bios.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.mainlinejudo.com
    Main Line Judo with dojos in Bryn Mawr and Phoenixville
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.pottstownjudo.com/
    Pottstown Judo Club

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for your help. i saw some of those. and i typed in philadelphia judo on the search bar but it took me to anyone who was either from philly or had judo as a style in their bio.
    i saw some of those myself. i want something that will prepare me for what i would need in a judo tournement. and that would be all i would want. im not interested in their katas.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.libertybelljudo.com/
    probably want to give this a shot. I saw some good comments about it, online. Their schedule isn't bad.
    Liberty Bell Judo Club won 21 Medals at the 24th Annual Liberty Bell Judo Classic taking First Place Junior Team and Third Place Senior Team, and overall Team Champions
    They put on a Judo tourney ever year. There you go.

Address: 51 Buck Rd
    Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006

do you know where this is? would that be close enough?

reach them at
    dojo@libertybelljudo.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tyvm. i believe that would be close enough. beats the drive i already take all the way across town. i just like the way a crisp throw looks and i want to learn how to do it myself.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's wise of you. Knowing how to down somebody, using their clothes, and taking their center, is key to self-defense. I've been pondering Judo myself, of late. It's hard to get to the SanDa school, where my teacher is.

I carry about 60lbs of gear daily, as I go out to play music, and return. That's my main training, walking an hour or more a day, with that on me. I'm hoping that will give me some edge, as I start learning. I'm used to slinging weight around.

This will go well for you, Judo is cheap, widely available and highly practical.

If/when you do go down there, please consider reviewing the school here.
    The database of school reviews on Bullshido is part of the magic of the site, and they're always looking for more. It will help people in the future, who are in your current position.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 10:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah I was going to review my current school but we are just a small school. we literally just rent out a cheerleading academy on sunday nights to train and there are only 7 of us 4 of which are black belts. so the instructor to student ratio is great lol. but until we actually get a setup that i know is going to be there 5 months from now im not going to review it.

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I train and teach at the Philadelphia Judo Club. We train in South Philadelphia at Osagame Martial Arts and Fitness 50 feet from the a broad street subway and we have available street parking. We also teach BJJ in a separate program, but, the Judo program is our primary style and stands on it's own. We have a number of regular competitors in our club from yellow belts to Black belts. Typical classes cover some instruction, some drilling and then a lot of takedown training. If you have any questions you can reach me at philadelphiajudo@gmail.com.