So?? im just saying.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/17/2008 10:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So.....the guy you wanted a response from hasn't posted in seven months let alone, anyone else from 2002.

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 6:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SHD Bullshido

:5yinyang:Sun Hang do is a Korean based style founded by grandmaster Jin Kang
    it was founded in 1989 I took it for 8 years and earned a first dan as everyone stated the contracts and the money were the problem Instructors were starting and buying schools at 1st dan when most styles won't let you instruct till 4th weekly blackbelt classes were held by master kang who would give the weekly lesson plan to the instructors who would lose most of the lesson in the translation.No one fails a test in this art because most kids would quit! so everyone passes and tests are every three months for 75 bucks on top of the 100 month fees unless you join the black belt club on a 36 month contract which would drop your fees down to 75.My problem with the art was they just make it up as they go along,when they say they take the best techniques from other styles means they can steal whatever they want and then call it their own.Since this style is solely based in the vancouver Canada area they have no governing body except the one made up by all the instructors from the eight schools,some schools like north van have no instructor so three other schools take turns.Anyways after 8 years of training my eyes were opened when I met my aikido Sensei.Thats when I took off my SHD blackbelt and put on a white belt and started over.That was the best thing I ever did.Now at 3rd Kyu (about halfway to blackbelt)I realize I didn't know much.Most of the techniques I had been taught were week and incomplete:zicon_ramTo sum it up Sun hang do was a good introduction to the Martial arts but it gets pretty hokey after Blackbelt thats when we had to start shouting I CAN DO IT and do sun hang do dancing
    So bushido or Bullshido

Definately
    BULLSHIDO

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so out of Sun Hang Do, into aikido, and that was an upgrade... Sun Hang Do really fucking sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Posted On:
    3/22/2009 8:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kendo/gumdo (converting)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THANK YOU, im glad that someonebody (aside from a few people), noticed :).

Yeah, after I triend for 8 years myself, I was pretty pissed off at the contract deal that was bestowed upon me. And if anyone knows me from SHD, I will give you a hint, I quit in 2007 :).

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 3:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sun Hang Do can be very hit and miss, the schools dont tend to be hit and miss, when I post this there are nine, basic program is about $110ish a month? (its been upped since Ive joined) and it raises about $10 for the "black belt club" and another 10 or so for "master club." Black belt Club and Master Club are the weapons and grappling programs, the main focus being weapons (double short sticks, nunchaku, middle stick, long staff, bamboo sword(kendo sword) wood sword, and Eh Dool Sool (foam sword)

"weapons"
    the weapons training is virtually all pattern (except for foam sword in which no one ever bothers blocking) dont expect to actually learn how to use weapons against something actually defending itself. the grappling is quite limited in these programs.

"patterns"
    there are 3 low belt patterns(kata), 3 basic patterns, and seven
    advanced patterns in the colour belt section spread out over 18 belts (you pay for gradings, $50 for white, then add five dollars to the grading price every two belts) dont expect many members to be able to help you with a pattern they learned 2 or 3 belts ago, likewise with self defense.

"self defense"
    all the self defense is based off Hap Ki Do, it is all joint manipulation and armlocks, with occasion throws and trips, with the exceptions of the first white belt's first three self defenses, which are the only self defences involving hard style blocks and pressure points (not much emphasis is put on blocking, I'm not sure if this is a Tae Kwon Do thing, or just Sun Hang Do.)

"sparring"
    safety is number 1 here for sun hang do; sparring is "point based" (eg: you its more like tag football, then football, you get a point if you TOUCH a target area, not nescesarily HIT them) mandatory tournament sparring gear: Sparring Gloves (only certain bulky, heavily padded types) footpads, shinpads, helmets, mouthguards, groin cups, and Tae Kwon Do style chest pads.
    acceptable striking areas are: the top of the head with a backfist, the sides of the heads with kicks, and the chestpad, if you grab your opponent, you have five seconds to take them to the ground.

"grappling"
    imagine a sumo ring, if it were three feet by by six feet. both feet of your opponent leave the ring or both his knees touch the ground, or you otherwise successfully trip/throw the person you get a point; first to three wins (2nd year wrestlers/Judo/Jiu Jitsuists, prepare to dominate, this part of sun hang do is new and skill levels amongst 9/10 competitors not very high)

"Belt Testing"
    this is without a doubt, the utmost low point in sun hang do, the bar for grading is set about shin high, which is the height of some of the kicks of people Ive seen get their belts. I have seen the most laziest, irresponsible, delinquant fools receive their belts, i honestly dont care if somebody who isnt the greatest martial artist gets a belt, so long as theyve worked hard to get to wherever theyve come, but the Sun Hang Do gradings... well it basically seems like a cotton factory sometimes. Ive only ever seen one person fail. ever. they say they dont send people who arent ready, but, damn, Ive seen terrible students get high belts.

"Philosophy"
    Sun Hang Do Main Philosophy:
    "Ever changing and growing,
    the perfect balance
    of mind and body for life,
    the ultimate art for humanity,
    I can see it, I can feel it, I can Do it.

School Moral (Dojo Kun)
    "No Ryuk (Hard Work)
    I Nae (Patience)
    Gi Poom (Happiness)
    (*the explanation is the through working hard, and persevering, that happiness will be reached, and for some reason, they say "patience" instead of Perseverence, which is the word they give the definition of for patience.)

School Fundaments (or was it principles?)
    Moral [hard work, patience, happiness]
    Energy [breathing control, food control, positive mental attitude]
    Leadership [responsibility, honesty, ability]

school principles:
    Sun Hang Do
    Mind, Vision, Accomplishment
    Stance, Centre
    Basic, Foundatio
    Movement, Knowledge
    Skill, Unification

there are also gym rules 1-12 (eg rule #2: after entering the gym greet higher belts in order of rank, if equal rank, older member is senior)

Overview
    Sun Hang Do was built as the "Complete Martial Art" utilizing both hard and soft techniques, mental and physical training to prepare the mind and body for life, or something along those lines, In the Sun Hang Do Student Handbook (which is a surprisingly good book, as it is many years of experience of the highly talented grandmaster put into pages) sun hang do is said to be created because other martial arts wouldnt recognize other martial arts as being better, and some quote form grandmaster about a man who doesnt leave his cave wont see forest and mountians and such.

Honestly, if your lifespan was considered but one day, I say that yes, you could see a mountain from far away, then quickly see forests and lakes and oceans and cities and deserts, but if you run so quickly by, and dont walk through the forest, youll never see the shades of green sunlight filter through the overhanging canopy of leaves, smell the blooming brilliantly coloured flowers, hear the songbirds sing, or taste the fresh, earthy air. to get the really beautiful view of a mountain, you cant just look at the landscape from the ground, you must spend time to climb to the top and oversee the land. can small things like flowers and wind blown willows not be just as beautiful as big things like deserts and oceans? Sun Hang Do has no understanding of this view.

I come from two martial arts before Sun Hang Do. I came from Karate, where I learned punching, kicking, blocking, stability and movement, and I learned them very well and grew strong in these things It was a martial art ONLY OF STRIKING. I came from Greco-Roman Wrestling, where I learned throws, and joint manipulation and balance and pins, and body mechanics, and I grew strong in these things, It was a martial art ONLY OF GRAPPLING.

I went to Sun Hang Do. they teach: hard style, soft style, punching, kicking, trips, throws, grabs, locks, blocks, nunchuku, short stick, mid stick, long stick, wood sword, bamboo sword, foam sword, spinning kicks, back kicks, front kicks, side kicks, roundhouses, jumping front kicks, jumping double front kicks, jumping back kicks, spinning back kicks, jumping spinning back kicks, jumping double side kicks, knifehand, spearhand, closed fist, palm strike, pressure points, patterns, jumping running triple front kicks, wrist locks, elbow locks, shoulder locks, arm takedowns, head takedowns, leg takedowns, elbows, front breakfalls, side breakfalls, backbreakfalls, flip side breakfalls, flip back breakfalls, special black belt punching, korean terminology, korean counting, main philosy, six fundamentals, main principles, school moral, gym rules, STRIKING(hard and soft), GRAPPLING, WEAPONS(10 of em if you also count belt, knife, and weird daggerlike stick, also 11 if you include tonfas, but thats a seperate $300 program), GYMNASTICS and I'm sure as heck missing alot.

learing all that and getting your blackbelt in 2-4 years sound good? lets just say that there are blackbelts that didnt know theyre supposed to use theyre hips to punch. good sampler martial art, good if you want to go through the one year instructor course which you can start around blue belt (7 belts in out of 18) which is $1000, after which, sun hang do may very well help you fund opening a new school.

There are many types of teachers in sun hang do, some meticulously technical, some with fiery passion and energy, some with discipline and determination, some with greed and sloth. YOU CAN BE TAUGHT GOOD THINGS IN SUN HANG DO, SOME INSTRUCTORS HAVE MUCH DEDICATION AND MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MANY MARTIAL ARTS, CHECK OUT A SCHOOL BEFORE YOU JOIN. there are also many good students in sun hang do, those who try hard and seek further teaching beyond basic grading level curriculum, sun hang do has a wide spectrum of skill level in various levels due to low standards in gradings. that is most all i can think of about sun hang do.

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was part of Sun Hang Do many years ago when I was in Vancouver and I found it interesting however I would agree with the posts in that it was a loose art in that it was geared towards the business side.

This is not surprising if you research the founder and Grand Master was barred from the International Tae Kwon Do federation for possible fraud and embezlement (sorry about spelling). That was years ago and regardless I learnt a lot and took a lot from the art and its diversity.

If you took it seriously, you would be surprised who passed the tests alongside you and if you didn't take it seriously there was nobody stopping you from writing a cheque. That being said, I have had a hard time anywhere finding a club that wasn't eager to take your money.

Cheers,

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 4:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You understand that this thread dates to 2002 ?

The original posted hasn't visited this site since ... 2002.

Don't necro old threads.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 4:57am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of the nub necro, this thread moved from MABS as it's not investigative worthy.

NUBS... STOP NECROing old ****.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123