Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

:)

Posted On:
    4/23/2011 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very sad, but you gotta try to help. That's how I feel. Society weakens, when people won't try to help people they don't know personally. The one silver lining, is that they didn't get to rob the poker game, so whatever the people were there raising money for, they were able to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2011 2:15am

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liljay2387 View Post
    that was very tragic, but the martial arts is about learning from the examples and mistakes of our brothers in the arts, this is maybe a called to hone, or refine our gun defense techniques that is based on reality, not tradition. his loss will not be in vain on my end. r.i.p
    Or we could not train in something that would, even if executed perfectly with great technique, give us a huge change of not succeeding. ****, even if you manage to redirect the gun, it could fire off in the scuffle and shot someone else. People just can't win against a gun, and if we are going to pull any "lets learn from this" bullshit then lets say that we should accept that no amount of training will prepare us for facing someone armed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2011 11:31am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Not making a joke here, it serves as a good example to show why RBSD operates on a flawed premise. A professional fighter who spends more time training and competing than anyone with any other job, whose entire life revolves around Martial Arts, is killed as easily as anyone in the age of handguns.

In case you take that as a dig at the victim, I absolutely don't intend it that way. I don't think he was trying to be Bruce Lee. The man was just trying to protect those people around him. I'm certain that even if he had never stepped foot in a gym, he would have risked his life to intervene on everyone's behalf. My condolences to his family and loved ones. RIP Kearn Nedd.
    I don't want to detract too much from this thread here but I think there is a problem with using this as an example to debunk RBSD. The main problem was that Nedd didn't train in RBSD, and didn't train in weapons or disarming techniques (that I'm aware of). He trained in unarmed 1 on 1 combat.

I think in RBSD such as Krav Maga they will usually say to just give your wallet over rather than risk your life, then show a gun disarm with the disclaimer "we only do this part if we believe we are going to get shot anyway". I'm sure some are a little more delusional than that though.

Also a big part of self defense and weapons training (like what swat would do) is role playing. I figure the chances of finding ones self in such a situation make it not worth doing, that and I don't think its normally good for one's mental health to role play getting attacked over and over again.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that RBSD would have worked, just that this example doesn't necessarily debunk RBSD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 10:07am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Or we could not train in something that would, even if executed perfectly with great technique, give us a huge change of not succeeding. ****, even if you manage to redirect the gun, it could fire off in the scuffle and shot someone else. People just can't win against a gun, and if we are going to pull any "lets learn from this" bullshit then lets say that we should accept that no amount of training will prepare us for facing someone armed.
    This is true and the real lesson to be gained of there is any - if someone has a gun and you dont - do what they say unless they are actually going to try and kill someone anyway.
    Again this in no way reflects badly on Kearn Nedd who is a brave man and a credit to his community.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 8:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KENPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    May his soul rest in peace and those thugs brought to book and face justice.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 1:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This the reality of the situation. He would probably alive today if he just let them have the money and left it alone.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 3:09am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    This is true and the real lesson to be gained of there is any - if someone has a gun and you dont - do what they say unless they are actually going to try and kill someone anyway.
    Again this in no way reflects badly on Kearn Nedd who is a brave man and a credit to his community.
    Problem is you don't really know that until it happens.

I say play along with the game until the opportunity presents itself. These guys will shoot people over sneakers or cell phones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:33am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    Problem is you don't really know that until it happens.

I say play along with the game until the opportunity presents itself. These guys will shoot people over sneakers or cell phones.
    Yeah its truly disgusting. I make no criticism of the deceased - I guess what I and others are trying to discourage the illusion that learning a martial art, even one as effective as MMA, should lead one into believing the illusion that one is some sort of invincible super hero and taking unnessary risks . Of course if you think that someone else is at risk or in danger then the only honorable cours eof action is to risk you own safety and this appears to be the case with Kearn Nedd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:59pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go figure one of the few Canadians with enough balls to step in and try to stop a robbery like this happens to be an MMA fighter.
    R.I.P.
    We need more people like this in the world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 3:54pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    Go figure one of the few Canadians with enough balls to step in and try to stop a robbery like this happens to be an MMA fighter.
    R.I.P.
    We need more people like this in the world.
    You need to abandon your preconceptions about Canadians.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast